Money Diary - AL Schutzman Company
Keeping track of day-to-day spending is the best way to save money without changing one’s
lifestyle too dramatically. Once day-to-day spending has been tracked for a month or so it
will be clear where weaknesses lie and where you are able to cut back.
Each girl will create her own Money Diary.
• The girls should track their spending for one month (or until the next meeting).
• They should keep a hand written journal or an electronic journal. Information that
should be tracked includes:
• All the money that comes in and where it comes from.
• Where money was spent and why it was spent.
• Be sure they date entries so they can see how often they spend.
• Girls can include any notes – maybe notes about cash that was spent but
they are not sure what it was spent on. If girls are putting money in a savings
account, what are they saving for?
• At the next meeting the group can review some of their revelations. The personal
money diaries do not need to be shared, just their thoughts and feelings about
tracking every dollar spent.
• Is this something they will want to continue?
• Has it changed any of their spending habits?
The adult in charge should appoint a girl to partner in keeping a money diary for the year
listing all sources of income and expenses. This should be available for any girl in the group to
review, so she can see where troop funds are being spent.
We will probably never know how many women inventors there have been. In the early years,
a woman could not get a patent in her own name. A patent is considered a kind of property,
and until the late 1800’s laws forbade women in most states from owning property or entering
into legal agreements in their own names. Instead, a woman’s property would be in the name
of her father or husband, making women’s successes invisible.
Some famous female inv
68) - Margaret E. “Mattie
03) - Mary Anderson
mputers)(1959) - Grace
• Windshield Wipers (19
)(1966) - Stephanie Kwole
• COBAL (Common Bu
bullet-proof vests, he
• Kevlar (fiber used in
. Temple Grandin
ling Devices (1989) - Dr
f and non-toxic)(1997) oo
• Geobond (indestruc
e (1999) - Randice-Lisa
• Disposable Cell Phon
The inventing process often involves solving problems, which “exercises” your creative
thinking abilities. As you repeat the invention process, your problem solving abilities are likely
to improve and enhance all areas of your life. All of our inventions today are built from the
trials and errors of inventors before us, and their inventions.
Do some critical thinking and research about one or all of the listed inventions. Have there
been changes to the initial invention? What innovations have enhanced the inventions?