bites out of life | Baingan Bharta (Indian Eggplant Dip)
Baingan Bharta (Indian Eggplant Dip) | bites out of life
- 2 medium eggplants, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 6 Thai green chilies, minced
(or 2 jalapeño peppers, with
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
*Thai green chilis are small, skinny peppers that pack a hefty punch. Six of them in this
recipe makes it quite spicy, which I liked because I thought it balanced the sweetness of
the eggplant nicely. If you can't handle a ton of spice, start with three and keep tasting
and adding as necessary.
1) Boil the eggplant with the water, salt and turmeric for 20 minutes, until translucent.
2) In a large skillet, heat up the oil until sizzling. Fry the onions until slightly browned,
then add the tomatoes and saute for 3-5 minutes on medium heat. Then add the ginger,
garlic and chilies and fry for another 7-10 minutes.
3) Once everything has browned, add the eggplant and mash with a wooden spoon. Add
sugar, salt and pepper, then cook for an additional 15 minutes, until a bit of oil begins to
rise to the top of the mixture.
4) Stir in the cilantro. Serve warm, with pita, pita chips or crackers.