tv tuner cards and video clips
W O R K F O R YO U
TV TUNER CARDS AND VIDEO CLIPS
Want to watch your favorite television program while you work? Perhaps you would
like to include a video clip from television in a class presentation. It’s easy using a
TV tuner card.
Viewing Once a TV tuner card has been installed, you can view your favorite TV shows, even
while running other applications such as PowerPoint. For example, you could use a Hauppauge TV
tuner product and Hauppauge software as shown below.
• Launch the WinTV application.
• Size and move the television application window.
• Select a channel to view.
You can capture the video playing in the TV window into a digital file by following the
steps shown below.
• Click the Record button to begin recording.
• Click the Stop button to stop recording.
• Select a location and name to save your
captured video file.
Using Once captured in a file, a video can be used in any number of ways. It can be added to a
Web page, attached to an e-mail, or added to a class presentation. For example, you could include
a video clip in a PowerPoint presentation by following the steps below.
• Select the Insert tab, and then select Movie from
the Media Clips group.
• Select the video file you saved in the previous step.
• Choose whether the video file should start
automatically, or only when you click it
durning your presentation.
• Drag and resize the inserted movie clip as needed.
Inserted movie clip
TV tuner cards are relatively inexpensive and easy to install. Some factors limiting their performance on your computer are the speed of your processor, the amount of memory, and secondary
TV tuner cards are continually changing, and some of the specifics presented in this Making IT
Work for You may have changed. To learn about other ways to make information technology work
for you, visit our Web site at www.computing2010.com and enter the keyword miw.