pages 111 - 120 - Tompkins County Public Library

Comments

Transcription

pages 111 - 120 - Tompkins County Public Library
HISTORY OF SENECA
fireman, John Urgahart.
The
Johnson.
State
and
has
and
The
Mynderse.
done
seen and
has been in
the
at
seyville,
service
hosemen,
nine
on
steamer was
the
purchased
the fires
Rover, No.
are
Street,
2,"
is
a pioneer
men
Silsby,
hand-engine
Chestnut
on
sixty
a
J- N.
and
engine,
Rum-
Street,
in the
Foreman is Daniel
Havens,
assisted
hose company attached, which
steamer was
The
Company.
numbers
pany,
There is
a
engine com
by
"Phoenix"
the
Manufacturing Company by
Bayard,
of
south side
west
with a complement of nine
on
steamer
men,
Henry
Churchill is Foreman.
the house
the
The
machinery,
on
the
societies
upon.
R. Addison.
February 7,
Of
The
and
lodge-room
representation.
destroyed
and papers were
membership is
present
organized
dred
originally
by fire on January
1851.
The
1869.
16,
August
The
13, 1828,
meeting
association was called
Of the
held to form
was
"
the
Vice-President ;
Nobles,
The Village Schools
of
society to
for the Promotion
and
Society
Stevens, President ;
Dunning, Secretary.
Uriah H.
Seneca Falls have
present
Tem
Linnaeus P.
work was
was
formed,
recently assumed that rank
The want, of proper accommo
done, and Cotton
Miss Lucretia Wilson
Colonel
Mynderse,
dollars.
It long
public
at
was
M.
his
life. We have
The academy was incorporated in 1837.
bequest to the academy of two thousand
death, made a
21, 1838, the number
to prosper,
continued
assistant.
and
was
of students
furnished good
attending
instruction to many
fifty-nine.
now active
in
The frame
earlier spoken of schools as crude and elementary.
away and used as. a dwelling, while upon its site, just
west of the
Lot Ham
academy, the biiek known as the Union School was erected.
ilton was the first teacher in the old (then new) building, in 1817. About 1830,
then alluded to
Lewis
on
the
was moved
Bixby opened what was termed
site of
the Sackett Block.
taught the various
a
building, which
a
school-house was
Falls.
This
" Washingtonians"
Ward,
use,
on
the site
and on
built
single educational
Bixby was
a
graduate,
on
Bridge
a good
remembered
as
the
the
of
meetings
the
Fourth
primarily held. A brick house was erected in the
for
unfitted
the present building ; it became old, dingy, and
of
2, 1868,
By
an
district
was
Act
was
burned
passed
by
by
an
incendiary,
the Legislature
formed from Districts
Falls.
The first Board of Education
Josiah T. Miller, President; Simeon
was
formed
of
and
on
April
1, 2, 3,
seven
the way
and
opened
16, 1867,
8
of
a
Seneca
members, namely :
Holton, B. B. Boardman, Gilbert Wil
coxen, John Cuddeback, Oliver S. Latham, and William Beaiy, Village Presi
dents. The trustees of the academy were authorized to rent the building to the
school
trustees for the
sum
of
three hundred dollars annually,
on
condition
of
maintaining therein a classical and academical department. The building
has been rented since that time,. and it is now desired to purchase the property
their
of
the academy,
days
and upon
of academies are of
nized, the
village will
the
site
the
system
before
long do
erect a suitable
of
the past,
itself justice in
in
The
high-school building.
and
this
bringing
fact
being
recog
school edifices
Fancher,
the
six
of
and
and
and
year
thousand
The
is
by
a
the
The
entire
that
The. number
of
schools are reported
is
one
children, two thousand three
teachers licensed
full
the'
five hundred
thousand
; four
and
these
of
four thousand
is
free
by
arranged
dollars.
framed, and nine are
are
hundred
sixty-five
and
fifty dol
and
to
exceed
dollars.
Teachers
locality
system.
some
ten,
-three
hundred
taxable property in the town is two
in this
school
and
seventy
six
the year,
Total attending
The number of
twenty-three thousand six
thousand
realization
claimed
during
sixty-four.
and
and most approved character.
a
licensed teachers,
in the town
30, 1S75,
twenty-seven females.
school-houses
advocates of
is
number of
thousand one hundred
fifty-seven
the best
whole.
The
village.
number of pupils
seventy-five.
tlie
hundred
sites are valued at
fair field for
indorse the
hundred
six
Wicks, ofthe First
and N. L. Benham, of the
instructor, and full thirty
ending September
number of
eight
Library
and
youth
and
hun
The Principals
The
and
gives
assessed valuation of
its
of
seven
Secretary.
thirty-one.
and
value of school-houses and sites
hundred
thirty-five
hundred
School Board is
of
in this
ing
number of school
Total
thirteen
contains
the total
the
experienced
hundred
six
and
thousand
eight
Academy;
the Third Ward,
is twenty-three.
time, for the
one
use are of
education
of
the latest
give
two"
1871.
another
Jennie M.
with school-teach
twenty-eight;
as
dollars.
there
1875
three thousand
and
the
School Report
County
and valued at one
one
claimed
fully
open
School-house
The
balance,
;
of
in 1872 ;
hundred
eight
The President
of whom six were males and
cases,
books in
at a cost of over
supplied with
of
and
hand
ably managed. The Catholic School in South Seneca
in the fall, within the fine structure now (187<i) in process
in the District
fifty
thousand
finished,
took in
in April
Rumseyville,
wages,
is two thousand
and
to
the year,
million
now
building
occupied
statistics
;
an old
thousand
and twenty-seven.
brick.
lars.
is
now employed
same
Falls,
of
Avery,
identified
village
The
Tho town
The
the
of all
cost
The text
are
qualified,
advantages
incurred
its necessity;
by
State
while others
OF THE CHURCHES.
HISTORY
The Presbyterian Church
Cayuga, where he erected
place where
in the
expected
volumes
fine
in
one
,Jhe
at seventeen
were authorized and
work was
houses have been
new
and seven cents
Avery
past was
thirty-three ;
during
The
and
boarding-academy and as a residence. About 1833
William Street, just west of Bridge, in South Seneca
on
Mr.
Street,
scholar,
were
August
for improvement.
Institute,"
Franklin
used as a
brick is
old
Mr.
"
branches ; later he went to
academical
he
the
Ezra B.
condition,
Seneca
bonds,
and
J. N. Hammond is Superintendent
of erection.
The
building.
erect a
Crittendon, the first principal, commenced teaching.
his
On December
taken to
and subscriptions were
by the
used
The Third Ward
completed
and sixty-five cents.
teachers
school age
of
in
constructed a
was
These
balance
attended school was one
Falls is
and
improved furniture.
of
dollars
in the
good
1869.
of
have been built:
structures
Wards; J. D.
number of
in
dollars,"
thousand
and seventy-two cents
Guion;
Second
years
It
thirty-two dollars
hundred
dations resulting in crowding large numbers in limited space, is a bar against
efficiency.
In the spring of 1832 Colonel Mynderse donated a lot for an academy.
A company
the
also
Baptist
the
of
building-
teachers'
dollars
employed at
not until
commensurate with other evidences of progress.
a school, as was
in the spring
dollars.
Fourth Ward.
The
of
; roll,
The vestry
per
hundred
one
thirty-seven cents; expenditures, fourteen thousand
and
of schools are:
temperance.
promote
Luther F.
were :
and
a
Seneca Falls
perance."
officers
styles
and
J. M.
William
a
assistants
house in the Fourth Ward.
Street, in 1873.
and eighteen
Walker, M. ; W. Frank Hoster, S. W. ; Andrew H. KedW.
Moses
dell, J.
Rumsey, T. ; and A. W. Newton, S. The present member
;
ship is one hundred and forty. The Knights of Pythias, the Rechabites, Camp
and Tent,
the Grand Army of the Republic, are noted in County history.
On
are
officers
best
sixteen
sixty-two.
about
two
twenty-four.
and
for
school-house,
thousand
dollars
The society organized June 2, 1860. The first charter was dated
1871. The present High-Priest is J. R. Littlejohn; King, J. W.
Secretary, S. B. Hopkins.
Pocahontas Lodge, No. 211, was
Beebe ;
a new
receipts and previous
has full
village
Barrett, and
hundred
one
occupied
Clinton
and
Masons, there is the
Salem Town Chapter, No. 173, at whose first meeting, under dispensation, John
Morse was High-Priest ; James McLean, King ; E. G. Tyler, Secretary. The
following members were present : S. S. Van Sickle, Daniel L. Kendig, William
Loundsbury, L. T. Moore, Charles A. Whartenby, John Basset, A. G. Goffe, and
Of secret
M. L.
4, 1868, four
Additional frame
workshop-
be depended
and
erection of a
eleven
Silsby Manufacturing Company keep an engine ready for fire-duty at any time,
A fire-alarm is given
with hose supply, and abundant help in case of necessity.
and factory-bells, and the
of the
the
department, men and
ringing
by
can
and
and
8, Mrs.
issued to build
the
James Desmond is engineer, and
is attached Rescue Hose Company, No. 3,
of whom
hundred
enrolled three
one
On September
Silsby
The house is located
village authorities.
hundred
Xo. 1 school,
gave this result :
had
Adventists.
Ovid Street.
of
To this
John Lefler fireman.
in 1868 from the
purchased
No.
for.
called
assistants,
forty-five ; seats for two hundred
Frances Carl and Hattie Eastman, enrolled two
church was secured and used
No. 3 Steamer
men.
and
four
with
2, taught by
twelve; average, one hundred and twenty-five, and seats for
six.
No. 3, Fanny Facer ; a small school ; wages four dollars
seventy ; average,
W. Zimmerman.
fifteen
hundred
week.
George'
whose
and
being
report
No.
hundred
Ill
attendance, two
average
;
thirty.
and
A
churches.
Hammond, Principal,
seventeen
com
NEW YORK.
its
par with
between
have devastated
which
No. 2 is
village.
There
the town.
of
west end
Red
Fall
in 1860 from H. C.
The house is located
years.
many
"
The
Foreman is Lewis
whose
north side of
most excellent service at
by volunteers.
manned
are
is located
finest blocks in the
the best industries and
pany,
There
engine-house
COUNTY,
to
a
Daniel
as
Sayre,
on
August
was
10, 1807, by
the "First Presbyterian Church
likewise
deacons,
pastor on
August
20, 1808,
church
the
in 1823,
successor, in
1838,
pulpit
Junius."
by
Ruling
1818,
Rev. A. G. Orton
Chapman,
of
of
were
elders
Rev.
and
when
Geneva,
ordained,
Shipley
commenced
his
pastorate of
labored acceptably with the society for twelve
Rev. William Gray, who filled the pastorate till
till the spring of 1843,
able in labors for
when
this"
the
1840,
October,
pulpit about eighteen months.
Rev.
acceptably to the
church
and
services of
society till 1849.
this
Orton's
years.
Mr. Judson in
Wells.
Rev. William Bacon
was
succeeded
Colonel
Rev. John Stuart was installed
Rev. C. Mosier
from 1815 to
Rev. Aaron Judson filled the
when
H. L. Vail
preached
till 1822.
and
1835,
followed
in the frame bam
the Rev. Jedediah
of
and seventeen members enrolled.
Rev. T. M. Wheelock
occupied
organized
preached
Rev. H. P. Bogue
were made avail
Rev. Alexander McCall began his
May, 1851. Rev. Josiah
church on
May 18, 1851, and was
Hopkins entered next upon his work in this
from
officiated
who
G,
1855, till June, 1856.
May
followed by Charles Ray,
November
on
pastorate
4, 1857, and finished the
William J. Jennings began his
this
to
church, in September, 1862,
Dr. A. D. Eddy came
same May 1.
till October, 1864, and was succeeded, in October, 1865, by
and remained with it
ministration
September
2, 1849,
and
concluded
it in
HISTORY OF SENECA
.112
has been remarkably efficient, and remains the
There have occurred vacancies of months between terms of
Rev! Josephus D. Krum,
this time.
pastor at
who
Seminary, of
whom the most prominent were Matthew L. Perrine, D.D., Jonathan Condit,
D.D., Josiah Hopkins, D.D., and Edwin Hall, D.D. This church and congrega
These have been filled
pastorate.
tion had for
few
stood a
1817
year
It
17.
by
Professors
the Theological
of
This house
years occupied a school-house as a place of worship.
the
rods south of
present
the
frame structure,
with
by the. society, and dedicated on September
by the present church edifice, and was a
was sold in 1842 to Gill & Allport, and by
built
a meeting-house was
stood on
beautiful
In the
shrine of public worship.
ground occupied
It
steeple.
Hall,"
and is
Street, where it has been known as Concert
byMr. Sanderson, undertaker. It was succeeded by a new brick
now used
which stood
building,
thirty years, and finally, in the march of improvement, was
torn down in 1871, to give place to the present handsome structure, which is the
third the society have erected oh the same lot, which was a donation by Colonel
them
"
to State
removed
Mynderse for this
special
an
early date in village history. The
Jabez Stark ; the second, by William
made at
purpose,
by Jacob Hovey and
and
the
third
Latham,
by Ruel Taylor. The corner-stone of the present church
was laid September 12, 1871, under direction of Rev. J. D. Krunr, and finished
in 1 873. This edifice is built in modern English-Gothic style, of pressed brick, and
cut stone arches.
The front is flanked by a large and a small tower, the large tower
being one hundred and sixty-six feet in height, and the small tower ninety feet.
first
built
church was
The entrances, in these towers,
stairs
to the
basement,
open
into
to the auditorium,
vestibule, from which are
across the front.
The front
gallery
a spacious
and
Gothic gable, with corbeted coping and beam tracery corresponding with
In the tympanum of this gable is an elegant rose window,
the interior roof-work.
presents a
the
diameter, filled with intricate tracery. The flanks
front, the walls being pierced with deeply recessed windows ornamented with stained
glass.
The basement includes the session-room, forty-two by fifty-seven feet ; two
parlors, twenty-four by twenty-eight feet each ; kitchen, fourteen by eighteen feet;
furnace cellar, fourteen by-thirty-one feet, all twelve feet high. The auditorium
is fifty-seven by eighty-four feet, twenty-four feet high at the sides, the whole
being covered with an open, timber, Gothic roof, finished with ash. showing the
The apse is recessed
timbers of the roof richly moulded and filled with. tracery.
thirteen feet in
and
finished
the
on
same
floor.
themselves
religious
well
Pews
for
ash,
and
the
walls are
arranged,
and
the
pastor's
ceiling
in front is
are employed
agencies
of
with a grained
and choir
gallery
tower,
accord with
of
design
are of neat
heating,
ventilation,
a spacious and valuable place of
and
richly frescoed. The
study is placed in the
comfortable,
lighting.
and
and effectual
While securing to
Presbyterians,
worship, the
the oldest.
body in the- village, have likewise added a noble monument to the liberality
the citizens
and
the Christian morality
The Baptist Church
the
of
village of
Seneca Falls dates
of
Seneca Falls.
existence
A
Bap
Charlotte
Noble, Polly Wheeler,
Long, who
half
is the
sole survivor at
the age
the Blackbrook
Road,
and Huldah Silsby.
Deacon
Abner
Cross,
Mary
Carey was
L.
Clerk.
It
was
and
P.
resolved
to
be
expedient
to
form
a con
Noble,
Chairman,
ference preparatory to being constituted a church. On June 28, Orsamus Allen, a
licentiate, was received as a member. August 28, Articles of Faith and the Cov
enant were adopted.
October 8, a council of delegates from the churches of Mentz,
Aurelius, Springport, Junius, Ovid, Romulus, Geneva, Lodi, Scipio, and EastRomulus, nineteen in number, met at the village of Seneca Falls. After due
of
Phoebe
That, in
as
our
to the necessity of a Baptist association in the place, it
opinion, their members and abilities are sufficient to
constitution as a
Orsamus Allen
Presbyterian
church,
and
they have
pastor.
The
that
was ordained as
a
house
on
nant
meeting
of
the
church was
held October
church."
as a gospel
ordination services were
held in the
of
28, 1828.
The first baptism in the
on the same day.
Meetings were held on
were held until March 27, 1830.
January
Nelson
Payne,
Saturday, and no Sabbath meetings
1, 1832, the pastor addressed the church in
ofthe
fellowship
resolved,
justify their
Shortly after the removal of Mr. Allen to this place, he
Bayard Street, later owned by John McCurdy. The first cove
that
twenty-seven
our
was
church.
built
church was
miles out on
Ann
and
deliberation
"
and resides one and a
seventy-seven,
behalf of the Burmah
dollars'
collection was raised and paid over
Baptist Foreign
came pastor ofthe
Missionary Society.
church,
and
In
to Ansel
Missions, and
Shay, Treasurer
1832, Rev. John L. Latham be
0. Allen went to Gorham.
Elder
Henry C. Fogel
During his term, Harris Usher, John King, James Rus
Lightbody were appointed and constituted the first deacons, and
X. P. Noble, the first clerk. Elder Jeffers was the next pastor, by whom in 1837
sixty were baptized. The same number were baptized by L. Freeman in 1838.
became
sell,
pastor
and
in 1833.
David
The society had
Attended
now one
by three
hundred
hundred
and seventy-two
scholars.
In
members,
1841, the
and a
continued
church
is
evinced
church
in
1842,
from the
who
had
Advent
led
him
Sabbath-school
prosperity
of
the
of
fifty-nine
a resolution was adopted
Rev. N. Baker was in
this
engrossed
with
baptism
by the
and
pulpit.
served
in
church
Politics
persons.
entered
the
excluding pro-slavery ministers
during this year. Elder Pinney
charge
1841, returned in 1843. The subject of the Second
the minister changing his views to Milki-ism
church.
The faction, small in number, hold reso
and
attention,
the
a portion of
The church, staggered by the secession, main
began
to recover under the three-year terms of
gradually
Elder Leggett, who closed his labors in 1853; I. B.
Ira
together
lutely
and meet weekly.
tained existence,
H. H.
and
Hoff;
Pitman,
Smith, Henry Harter, and William Race, served from 1862 till 186t.- Succeeded
by Ira Bennett and B. F. Garfield, each three years brings the record to W. R..
Wright, the present pastor, who began here in 1873, and is the seventeenth pastor
The
since organization.
only to
remains
to
refer
the society are tabled in County
history; it.
houses of worship. The First Baptist Church
statistics of
places and
frame structure, built in 1829, and stood in South Seneca Falls, on the back
lot on which the present building is situated.. When ready to build a
was a
end ofthe
it down by his woolen-.
In 1869 the society made
creditable exertion, and succeeded in completing the brick
edifice.standing on the:
corner of Bayard and Centre Streets.
The dedication services took place on March.
new, the
old
house
factory by the
.4,
1869.
nard,
canal
Auburn;
to Albert
was sold
it to
put
and
The dedication
of
Jewett,
use
at
the
occupied as
by
address
Institute,"
the Franklin
in the morning by Rev. Mr. May
the Rev. J. B. Smith, of Geneva, and
January'13, 1831, "at a
building on Cayuga Street,. later
organized
in the
Seneca Farmer and Reveille.
printing-office ofthe
it
barn.
sermon was preached
afternoon
.
meeting held
who moved
as a
evening by Rev: Mr. Pettingill, of Palmyra.
The Trinity* Episcopal Society was
On motion
of
Gary V. Sackett,
meeting proceed to take legal measures.
for incorporation, and to elect church-wardens and vestiymen. The Rev. Reuben
Hubbard, who was present, and chairman of the meeting^ was selected as Rector;
Lewis Rixby and John Isaacs, Church-wardens ; Gary V. Sackett, Samuel Payne,.
John Morgan, Senter M. Giddings, Anthony Dey, George 'E. Freeman, Stephen
B. 'Gay, and Chauncy F. Marshall, Vestiymen. A certificate of these proceed
ings was drawn up, signed by R. Hubbard, Abner N. Beardsley, and Stephen S.,
Viele, and recorded, March 25, 1831, in the office of the County Clerk. The
pioneer meetings of the
society were held in the school-room of "Mr. Bixby, in
Hall. On Saturday, April 7, 1831, the Rev. Bishop Onderdonk, of
the Diocese of Western New York, administered the rite of confirmation, for
was resolved
that the
Mechanics'
held
which purpose service was
Rev. Reuben Hubbard
1832,
the Baptist
at
closed
his labors
On the 6th
church.
the
as rector of
parish
after, Rev. Seth Davis began to supply the pulpit, preaching
Sunday.
from 1828.
tist society was organized in the school-house on South Park Street, June 5, 1828,
with ten members,
namely : Abner and Elizabeth Cary, Harris Usher, L. P. and
Harriet
COUNTY, NEW YORK,
Pound
He
succeeded
was
resigned
on
April
22,
March,
soon
; and,
one sermon each
July 13, 1833. Mr.
Campbell, receiving and ac
February 22, 1836, till the 1st of
Rev. Jesse Pound,
by
of
1835.
on
Rev. Robert
cepting a call, remained with the church from
October following. A week later, Rev. Henry Tullidge became rector, and offici
ated as such from October 9, 1836, to January 9, 1839.
Rev. Charles G. Aekly
next
followed,
when
commencing June
3, 1839,
the Rev. Benjamin Franklin
Ill health
church.
Rufus
caused
Murrey
teniber 10, 1849, when
entered on a
he
his resignation,
term
Then Rev. Charles Woodward
Church
on
lain
of
23, 1851,
Connecticut, was
Guion
of
and
1874*,
ship,
became
the
and
and
office
where
the
he
is the
down to the
in
was
from
Hubbard,
incumbent.
1835,
present
in
An
served as rector
1830,
came west as
May, 1855,
who
John
two
till
had been
organ was purchased
the
1844,
Mr.
when
the
oldest
and
so.
he
in the spring
entered on
one of
in
did
May, 1876,
ordained
minister,
Fitch,
and
chap
Trinity
the
address
invited to remain,
was elected senior warden
time.
Sep*
July 28, 1845, till
invitation to
years officiated as assistant
present
vestryman
received an
church
Rev. Wan-en C.
for two
May
the Rev.
and
his rectorship in the Trinity
1, 1855. The Rev. John M.
ordained a rector
He accepted,
continued rector of
retired,
entered on
and resigned
Auburn prison,
Society at Seneca Falls.
of
accepted;
from
Rev. Malcolm Douglass
years.
Guion, D.D.,
which was
which continued
resigned.
December
continuing till Al|gust 19, 1844,
call, and began his labors with tne
and
accepted a
rector
villageis,
has held the
in 1836 from Freeman
Brooks, of Waterloo. A new organ was bought on April 7, 1856, from Henry
Eiben, of New York City, the price being equal to one thousand dollars. The
first organist, with the new instrument, was Emma Schell. A good bell was.
obtained in 1852.
At a vestry meeting, held in January, 1833, it was
resolved
to build
a stone
basement
pur
edifice, and the committee appointed to secure a
lot for five hundred dollars from Ansel Bascom. It was first resolved to
a church
chased a
build
location
church, but this
was
rescinded,
and a wood superstructure.
The
and
it
was
decided to build
corner-stone was
laid
on
a stone
the 18th
of
Rev. J. C
by
November, A.D. 1833, the Rev. Jesse Pound officiating,
Budd, D.D. The mason was Asa Miller; the architect, Peleg T. Marshall. The
building committee were A. Dey, A. Bartlett, Jr.j J. Isaacs, and J. Sheather,.
assisted
PJLA.TE
mill.
F3LATE
XMV
dl
infantrythe One Hundred and
Forty-eighth New York-wu
recruited, mustered into service of the United States, and
ready for
transportation to the front. In two weeks the regiment
was on the
way to the field with a complement of twelve hundred men.
In tbe fall of 1871, Mr. Johnson was put in
nomination for Sen
ator, in the Twenty-sixth District,
of
HOK. WILLIAM JOHNSOIT.
William Johitson was closely identified with the material interests
of
m
Seneca Talis
high degree
Seneca County for
and
questions, he
upon practical
public capacities was
and
the son
a quarter of a century.
-
To
qualities, and well informed
In favor with all classes, and in
possessed of attractive
David
of
was
highly honored.
He was
Olive S. Johnson.
and
of
The
English
place of
tivity is WilUamstown, Berkshire County, Mass. While
comprising Ontario, Seneca, and
minority, by party vote, of fifteen hundred
his popularity is shown by his election
by nearly a thousand ma!
jority. As a soldier, he is remembered as always
regardful of the
Yates Counties.
descent,
his
na
yet a child
welfare of
his
parents moved to New York, and settled at
Frankfort, Herkimer
County. The father, dying, left the mother and a family of children
In poverty. In Hay, 1820, at the age of nine, he left home to work
at
fanning,
attended the
attempted to gain a
upon a
study of
mechanics.
came a resident of
the canal,
district
knowledge
and. from
winter
schools,
and at
interests
t
|
fourteen
j
of mercantile
routine, and entered
At twenty-live he came west and be
Seneca Falls.
1849 to 1856
.
He became
a contractor
was recognized as a
leading
upon
canal
Later, he engaged in woolen manufacture, which
till 1862. Dependent on himself, he had
early formed industrious habits, which secured to him an indepen
dence.
was continued
He
was a
in the fall
practical,
self-made man.
His
political career
him to
of
at
Seneca Falls
he was found
at
At
a
speaker,
exerted
influence among his feUow-senators. He was on theStanding Committees on Manufactures and Canals, and was Chairman of
the Special Committee appointed to investigate the
charges
no slight
against
nals,
Manufactures,
1855,
the daughter of. Hon. Jacob P.
of
his death
he
was
Senator Johnson married, in
Chamberlain, and
was
draped in mourning, and at the Island Works
The outline of his career reveals the ele
was suspended.
success, whether
of a railroad or
i
sacrifice
and
ofTHOMAS r.collings,
SENECA FALLS, N. Y.
the Militia.
engaged in manufacture, the
construction
canal, encouraging enlistment, advocating on the
Senate-floor measures of public utility, or among friends and in so
ciety. Mr. Johnson was always found
courteous, earnest, and con
sistent, and at his decease Seneca County lost a valuable citizen
ments of
was closed
RES
and
was a resident of
President
business
the offer was accepted;
up in one day, and on the next
the camp in command. In sixteen days a regiment
raise a regiment.
business
his men, and as a Senator, he
vigilantly attended to the
his constituents. A fluent and able
he
of
at the time
Seneca Falls. His illness was
brief,
and his death occurred on October
11, 1875. He left behind him
two sons, to cheer their sorrowing mother. At his
funeral, many
distinguished visitors were present. The Savings Bank of which
be
1860, when he was elected Member of Assembly
from Seneca County, and quickly gained prominence among leading
members of that body.
He was a life-long Democrat, and attested
by valuable services his love of country. He was appointed, in 1862,
a member of the War Committee for Seneca
County, by Governor
Morgan, and actively engaged in recruiting for the army. Later,
the War Committee selected him to the command of Gamp Swift,
and the choice was confirmed
by the Governor, and authority given
gan
a
William M. Tweed. The record of Mr. Johnson was so
satisfactory
; during his first term, that he was re-nominated unanimously and
by acclamation for a second. A closely-contested canvass followed,
,
I and he was returned to the Senate by a handsome
majority over his
-Republican opponent. He was placed upon the Committees
on Ca
and railroad man.
business
In
RES.
N. H. FRENCH
TP., SENECA CO., N. Y.
of
JUNIUS
the country an ardent patriot.
HISTORY OF. SENECA
edifice was
The
lot
was
timely
and a
by
Frederick A.
held therein in
service
Swaby,
on east side of
1834.
July,
A
North Cayuga
Street,
Mumford, of
two thousand dollars from Mrs. Elizabeth
of
gift
divine
and
completed,
donated
COUNTY, NEW YORK.
in
1857,
the
Wm. Hosmer
dollars.
Rev. J. M. Guion in the
In 1871 the old
The
the village,
north part of
John Fitch
are
present wardens
and
the
and now meets at
Frederick I. Swaby.
The
church.
vestrymen
Daniels, Josiah T. Miller, Charles B. Keeler, Philo Cowing, George
M. Guion, Lansing S. Hoskins, Andrew 0. North, and Edwin Bull. Communi
George B.
are
one
cants,
hundred
five ; missions,
one
hundred
and sixty-two.
Methodist Episcopal Church
isted
Falls,
the
at
is
ated on what
held
and
the
now
and forty-
Sunday-school pupils, two hundred
and sixty-one.
Seneca Falls.
op
in the
meetings
In 181 2 a small
log house of Case
northeast corner of
Ovid
and
Canal
Cole,
Streets, on
class ex
which was situ
the Lock.
There were then no framed houses on that side of the river. The class belonged to
Seneca Circuit. Case Cole and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Witham, and Mr. and Mrs.
the
Sweet*
once
sionally
this
ers of
State,
isted
Revs.
on
Black
on
week-day
to that
Brook"
to
with seven
Street, nearly
nine
members,
opposite
the
the
at
site of
the
four, and
Prindle ; the latter
to become
and
flourishing
came
in the
obnoxious
class ex
in the village,
Mr. Gardner's,
This
of
present
its -members
were'
transferred to
second village class was
formed,
Peter Marceleous
Bridge
of
residence
class met at
Franklin House.
The
on
original class
Mary Ann Marceleous, Phoebe
Petty, now Mrs. Schoonoven, Jane Moore, Mrs. Pitcher, and Catherine Mead,
Additions were received from Black Brook, so that in 1830
now Mrs. McKee.
consisted of
the
Peter Marceleous
class numbered
and
wife, his sister,
January 6, 1829, The Seneca Falls Society of the Methodist Episcopal
was incorporated, by the -election of Ansel Bascom, James Essex,
Joseph Metcalf, Stephen B. Gay, and Peter Marceleous as trustees, the elec
tion being certified to by John M. Odell and James Essex, who presided at the
"
On
Church"
meeting, held
at
the house
only freeholder in the
the class,
mation of
Roberts
and
Abner- Chase
society.
followed
and was
"William Kent
Joseph Metcalf
Benjamin Kuney.
of
were on
by
the
was
Presiding
then the
was
Elder
on
the for
Palmer
Gleason Fillmore in 1829.
circuit
from 1828 to 1830.
Preliminary
building a meeting-house. A
paper was
Joseph
headed
Metcalf, two hundred dollars ; Andrew
circulated,
by
followed
and
twenty-five
Brown,
dollars,
by lesser amounts; On July 30, 1830,
Lot No. 83, the present church site, was deeded by Wilhelmus Mynderse as a gift
taken in 1829 towards
steps were
to the
society.
to the
height
The
of
erection of a
the plates,
when
Roberts became discouraged,
At the fall
and
the
subscription
brick
the
church was
work was
and recommended
Conference, Revs.
begun,
the
and
suspended until
that the
fall.
enterprise
Jewett and Anderson were
walls
be
appointed
winter.*
seats were
during
provided,
Peter
and
held,
and
seventy
members added
to
Henry Marceleous, carpenters, offered to work on the church
wages,
The offer was
provided
accepted
Metcalf became
supplies.
Rev. Mr. Chapman
completed.
meetings
revival
winter without
families.
family
abandoned.
the only
society became inspired to new effort. Joseph Metcalf being
before
church
the
and
in
was
forward
roofing
means,
inclosing
the church.
their
Rev. Mr.
to the circuit,
member of
Rude
carried-
;
the society would, meanwhile, provision
a team was sent out from time to time for
responsible
for material,
and others occupied
and
building was
1834, when the
the
till
the
appointed to the charge, viz.,
annually and successively
Robert Parker, Thomas Carlton, whose wife died in the par
following
preachers were
Ebenezer
Lattimer,
sonage, John Easter, Seth Mattison, wife died during term, Ramsley Harrington,
and D. F.
Parsons, whose wife also die'd at the parsonage. On August 18, 1834,
Levi and Lorana Rogers executed the deed of a lot on Chapel Street, marked No.
6
on
map
of
that purpose.
1833,
for
During
a
parsonage,
the term
of
and presented
Rev. Mr.
the society,
seceding from the church,
appointed
from 1844-46
;
same
to the trustees for
Parsons, in 1842-43,
organized
a portion of
the Wesleyan Methodist Church.
Alex. Farrell was
society from 1843-44,
A.
C.
1846-48
Joseph T. Arnold,
George, 1848-49 ;
;
1852David
1850-52 ;
Elijah
Crow,
Rev. Calvin S. Coats having
R.
the
served the
Harrington, returned, 1849-50;
54'; David Ferris, 1854-56 ;
and
A. N.
Wood,
Fillmore, 1856-58. During his pastorate,
Mr.
at
mentioned, was with his wife attending a meeting
distant in the woods, was burnt, with three of their
in the house.
Sweet, above
log house,
when their
tad been left
alone
Case Cole's house
a mile
children who
torn down
church was
17,
Revs.
1857.
term, 1859-60 ; J. W.
this year occurred the Free
Coats,
During
second
church
left and joined in it.
1866-69 ; E. P.
Next
were
1869-72.
Huntington,
entirely new one erected on its site,
The construction was personally super
and an
intended by J. P. Chamberlain. It was dedicated on July 24, 1872. Bishop Gil
bert Haven, of Boston, in the morning preached the dedicatory sermon, assisted by
Rev. R. Hogaboom. The evening
Isaac N. Gibbard was pastor from
by Rev. Mr. Fordyce, of Rochester.
October, 1872, to April, 1874; and the term of
George S. White is from May 1, 1874, to October 1, 1876. The membership of
the church, on May 10, 1876, was. two hundred and thirty, and fifty on probation.
Salary raised, twelve hundred dollars ; for benevolent objects, two hundred and
sixty-five dollars.
Tlie Sunday-school numbers two hundred and fifty scholars,
has thirty officers and teachers, and a library of three hundred volumes.
sermon was
The Wesleyan Methodist Church is
an offshoot
from the Methodist Epis
Church.. At a meeting held pursuant to statute to organize a religious society,
the evening of March 27, 1843, at the school-house in District No. 1, in Sen
copal
on
H. L. Worden
Falls,
eca
trustees
Chairman, and A. Failing, Secretary. Six
C. King, H. L. Worden, Abram Failing, E.
chosen
was
elected, namely : John
Metcalf, and William Fox.
were
The society was to be known as
trustees were empowered to
The
Society
Joseph
purchase a building-lot and raise means to erect a house of worship.
at
a cost
built
church
was
dollars.
A
hundred
Metcalf headed the list with five
lot
pur
upon
a
year
of seventeen hundred and seventy dollars, during the
1843,
that
year.
31
of
chased for six hundred dollars from Harmon Desmond, on May
stood upon the corner of Mynderse and Fall Streets, and it was a
The
O.
Joseph
Lindsley,
"The First Wesleyan
Seneca
of
Falls."
building
rule of
1871,
the society that it
the
should not
building
dollars,
was
old
the
purchased at
is
Fall
the lot
known
now
and
as
Streets, for
Clinton
building began thereon. The
finally completed, and the edifice was
dedication sermon was delivered by Rev. D.
towers, the
fronting
one one
on
south
the
when
1843,
the
building
Fall Street is the
church
months
laid ;
corner-stone was
pending the
regular
the
The
lot.
name of
fronting
over whose entrance
being
same
services
of
Rev. Ralph Bennet
commencement
of
the
His
1843-45.
pastor, from
Durin- the
for
pastorate of
the
two
date, 1871,
church.
and
received
the
Rev. George Peglar
D. B.
east of
for
Revs. Samuel
a
was
few
the
Salsbury
Douglas, three-year terms.
Bell, for two years each.
and Wm. S.
The membership in 1862 was two hundred.
a year.
W. W.
with
were
successors were
Bradford
returned
the church,
old church which stood on
Phillips, each two years ; B. V.
Then Revs. Loomis, Swallow, H. B. Knight,
with
and
entrance
the main building,
west, in the rear of
church
is placed the
name, with date,
from the
stone
and
Mr Knight was
build
church
feet ; session-room, twenty by forty feet,
hundred and ten feet, the lesser sixty feet. Over the
is the session-room,
first
The
H. Kinney.
building, forty by twenty
main
and
fourteen thousand five hundred dollars, and the society
is of brick, in dimensions as follows :
The
and site are valued at
isfree from indebtedness.
the
dollars,
two thousand
finances delayed the work,
dedicated on August 11, 1875.
question of
a church
ing
January,
it stood, to C. G. Corwin
Johnson's Hall. A new site was
on which
which was
The
In
be used for political discussion.
with
sold,
and
corner of
the society, together
Wesleyans
now num
The
Lyle, in 1869, a portion of
Congregational Society.
the minister, formed the
ere their energies were
and it was but a brief space
sixty members,
house of worship. The payors from
developed in increased membership and new
but a few months ; Marshall Flint,
served
Mr Lyle have been Adam Crooks, who
Samuel
Rev.
Salsbery, whose term continued
but part of a year ; and then came
Two-year terms have suc
sixty-five.
in 1872,
two years ; the membership being,
A. F. Dempsey, a.nd
the ministrations of C. F. Hawley,
ceeded riving the church
its organization
since
Connected with the church
bered
about
A H.Kinney, present pastor.
there has been a Sabbath-school,
and whose present
five hundred
and
presiding
fifty
first Superintendent was Cornelius Hood,
numbers
is David A. Deming. The library
whose
officer
volumes,
and a
large
number of papers are
a
membership
of
Their first
the organization.
Mr. Pomeroy assisted them in
last Rev. Mr. Grey.
Mr Ino-ersol, their second and
They^erecLd a
the Episcopal
rlJtIZ
Mr
chapel on
church.
north
Among
the
side
of
members
Bayard
were
Street,
Asahel
as
minister was
nearly
Rev.
opposite
Carpenter^
to
George
Taber Potter, Elias Dennison,
Mrs A. Aumick, Jephtha Wade,
Mr. and Mn, Jabez Mathews,
Mrs. J.
D, Brown
M.D. .less, XW Whiting and
and J. K. Brow,
and
172 Lng,
were
the
taken.
early as the fore
from forty to sixty. Rev.
organized in Seneca Falls
A Congregational Church was
It began with
part of the yeax 1834.
S^T^trTia
9
Wheeler,-
twenty-one thousand dollars.
for five thousand
twenty-five.
is dated September
contract
few from this
and a
1865-66 ; Martin
Watts,
at a cost of
occa
organization of a second class
In 1828 the
its formation.
village class on
in
Among the first preach
and
A young
province.
to the
prior
the former class being broken up by removals.
distant three miles from the village, and many
the
enjoyed once
evenings.
Riley, Bennett, Snow,
such a
Tory spirit as
and exhibited
and soon returned
"
Preaching was
members.
in two weeks, usually
period were
Canada,
from
its first
were of
Methodist movement,
I.
The
from 1858-59 ; C. S.
A. S. Baker, 1862-65.
served
Wilson, 1860-62;
started
two thousand four hundred
church edifice was remodeled at a cost of
and seventy-five
building the present parsonage. A Sunday-school was early
at the Bixby school-house, which stood on the site of the Globe Hotel ;
Lewis Bixby was the first superintendent. A mission school was established by
in
applied
Rochester,
113
'w.Vhiting,
_
HISTORY OF SENECA
114
The
had
church
hopeful
a
beginning,
But unfortunately the health
could be found to take his place.
numbers.
no one
supplies were
for
their
time
a
Sermons were
congregation scattered
died
some
;
coming discouraged, it was thought best
the Presbyterian Church.
in influence
grew
minister
Seminary for a year or
had from Auburn
pastor, the
a
and
of
failed,
by the deacons, and
But being without
and
completely
read
more.
Be
and others moved away.
disband.
finally to
and
The
most went
to
In 1852
to
Bradford,
had
who
question of
the
revive
Congregational
old
organization.
on
anti-slavery
organization.
About
school was organized.
some years
forty united in this move,
with
the Wesleyans.
worshiping
health became so impaired that he
Having no house
years.
to the Wesleyan congregation,
returned
Mr. Lyle.
under
The
germ of
After
to
was compelled
worship, the
of
many
of whom
suspend
they
Mr. B.'s
his labors for two
deferred,
remained
organization never
had been
half,
a year and a
organization was
with whom
the first
the
and
most
till the move
died out, but
retained
its vitality during all the years of the suspension. They served with any branch
of God's people where in their judgment
they could be the truest to their principles of civil and religious liberty.
It is an interesting fact that three of the
honored
most
of
the
"
land,"
better
organization, viz., Mr.
present
Abram Failing, Esq., were
have whitened their locks
where soon
members of
they
majority
Lyle,
the
brows,
seceding from that society, proceeded
"
as the
First Congregational Church
held
was
The first society meeting took
members enrolled was
first
H. W.
place on
sixty-three,
Deacons
officials were :
December
on
Knight, Secretary,
Horace
and
W. L.
Mathews,
But the
and
years
ripened them for the
and
In the fall
together
at
19,
Seneca
Falls."
hundred
The
meet
Templars'
December 27 following.
one
of
with
The
and
Hall.
number of
forty.
The
Seekell, William Conklin, and A. Failing ;
Bellows, Treasurer. At a meeting for that
purpose, it was resolved to ask recognition from the Congregational Church at
large, j Accordingly a Council was held, which was attended by delegates from
Niagara City, Ehnira, Henrietta, and Homer. After due
declared the society at Seneca Falls is " fully entitled to
recog
fellowship, and in the name of the Congregational Churches of our
Syracuse, Rushville,
'
counsel, it
was
nition and
church
heartily
we
country
sympathy."
ization till
July 14,
to them
extend
our welcome
to the
fraternity
work
and
The first pastor, W. W. Lyle, served the society from organ
1873, at which date he tendered his resignation, through ill
health, and it was accepted. Rev. J. 0. Holbrook, Secretary ofthe Home Mission
Society, himself filled the pulpit, temporarily, and until a permanent pastor should
be secured ; he was assisted by S. C. Fessenden, who occupied the pulpit
during
the summer of 1873.
From December 4, 1873, until January 1, 1875, the Rev.
W. A. Smith was pastor. He was followed by Rev. B. F. Bradford, whose
term,
beginning June 1, 1875, still continues. A flourishing Sabbath-school is con
nected with
the
and adult alike attend.
Edward Medden
was
first Superintendent, assisted by Rev. Mr. Lyle. There are good teachers, many
the
scholars,
fine
by the
church
dred doUars.
State
held
Street,
was
on
was
broken for
during work on
is
of
volumes.
A
building was
from
by Dr. Davis was
1870 for three thousand five hun
purchased-
a church
August 19 following.
finished
fifty
and
owned
trustees in the spring
laid
building,
vices were
of
Ground
corner-stone was
main
two hundred
library
Accordingly, a lot formerly
and a
needed.
him
the
Youth
church.
early in
June,
lecture-room, in the rear of
January 1, 1871. Here ser
edifice
and
eighty-eight
The
ready for use
the main building.
and
The
feet
edifice proper
fronts
on
audience-
State.
Adair & Cowin were carpenters ; Golder Brothers masons ; and
slating
A.
0.
& W. B. Norcott. The audience-room seats six hundred. The cost of
Try
the entire building was twenty-three thousand dollars. The dedicatory services
took
September 21', 1871 ; opening
by Rev. J. D. Krum ; Scrip
by
Allen,
Canandaigua;
by Rev. L. S. Hobart,
and the
sermon
Rev.
Edward Taylor, D.D., of Binghamton, from
dedicatory
by
Psalm xcvi. 6. The pulpit was presented by the Sunday-school children, and it
is notable that the love of flowers, shown by their presence upon the pulpit, is
tures
place on
read
common
to
Rev. F. W.
services
of
prayer
pastor and people.
The Catholic Church
arrived
abode at
Seneca
Seneca Falls has
The
prosperity, marking
the'
to the present, and
Catholic population is
two thousand three hundred. The pioneer priest was the
continued unabated
Rev.
O'Donohoe,
the founder of the
who at
intervals
this
visited
from
village
Syracuse, and was
here.
The trustees during O'Donohoe's administration
Henry Graham, John McGivin, and Michael Flynn. About 1840, Father
Conally succeeded O'Donohoe, and remained about two years, meanwhile attending
congregations at Auburn, Geneva, Waterloo, and Union Springs.
To him suc
ceeded Rev. Patrick Bradley, who remained four years.
Bradley engaged in
church
were
mission
had his
as
work,
church of
had been
church
of
the
Family"
"
erected on a
the late Judge G. V..
During
village.
the
lot
Father Carroll
Ovid
Rev. Thomas
late
Seneca
frame
This lot was the donation
was appointed pastor at
branches.
as
O'Flaherty
and now retired from action.
Swaby Street.
upon
Sackett,
came
in Auburn,
In 1835
a small
memory is dear to the Catholics of this
Father Carroll, a new site for a church was
whose
ministration of
Streets, and in 1848 was laid the foundation of
forty by sixty feet; since enlarged to forty by one hundred
feet by the Rev, Edward McGowan, at present pastor at Auburn. The term of
Father Carroll terminated in 1854; in October of. which year Father Michael
Walsh came here from Clyde, and served the church acceptably till September 16,
1855! To him succeeded Rev. Thomas Brady, who served most faithfully till
June 6, 1859, when he removed to Medina, New York, thence to Grand
Michigan, whence he went to service in the late war as Chaplain in Mulligan's
Brigade, and died ultimately at Detroit, Michigan. After Father Brady came
Rev. Charles McMullen, an amiable and dearly beloved pastor, whose death took
place a few years since at Greenwood, Steuben County, this State.
The Rev.
John O'Mara assisted McMullen from January 1, 1860, till February 12, same
obtained on
edifiee
Bayard
Next
predecessors.
the
Holy
The mission was now divided, and
Falls, with Geneva, Waterloo, and
pastor of
Toledo
and
an'
in dimensions
He is
year.
shown a rapid and substantial
the
now pastor of
church
of
Conception,"
the "Immaculate
in
Buffalo. Father McMullen left November 27,
1860, and December 22, same year,
Rev. J. McGraw, present pastor of St. Rose, in Chelsea, Massachusetts, came to
Seneca Falls. A zealous laborer in the vineyard of his Divine Master, the church
prospered
during his brief administration, which closed March 17, '1861. Next
came Rev. Edward McGowan, who enlarged the church edifice, arid
during his
which
extended
till
the
advanced
in
time,
March, 1865,
heavily numbers.
society
was
He
succeeded
by Rev. Michael O'Brien, at present pastor of St. Patrick^,
Lowell, Massachusetts, who. remained from March till August; went then to
Lockport, and next to his present mission. Father Mulholland succeeded O'Brien,
September, 1865; removed to Lockport; July, 1866, and there died about 1874,
after a
brief but faithful
Kavanagh,
the
an
the
people
Family,"
the
'-'Holy
from Waterloo,
repose
and
him but to love
is the
the
was
in the Catholic
The Rev. B.
in tho
service
exemplary, affable,
great regret of
is
he
now
and
was
Cemetery
McCool,
sent
only
here
a
few
came
Rev. Martin
After three years
person.
pleasing
sent to Auburn
as pastor of
the
Rev. T.
months'
rest.
here, to
church of
Keenan,
He died August 16, 1870, and his
next pastor.
not
Next
sacred ministry.
enjoying
remains
It may be said that "none knew
people, but all classes and conditions.
Lockport.
at
him,"
of
his
own
by
his
Bishop upon the death of his predecessor,
present agreeable and efficient pastor.
The society is
building
a
school-
by eighty feet dimensions, three rooms below and
three above, each twenty-two by thirty-six,
feet to ceiling; rooms divided
a
six-foot
west
corridor
by sliding doors;
side; William Flynn, builder;
along
house, two-storied,
forty-five
fifteen'
estimated
cost,
To him
ant-
to
who views
A cheap,
scene.
and
come
thousand
eighteen
from the
the
dollars.*
village of
unexcelled
Seneca Falls to-day, there is
railroad,
with numerous
presented a pleas
trains, affords conveyance
hotels, among them the Hoag and the Globe, weir
Three banks, two national, give opportunities to deal in finance ;
Four
place.
the traveler.
seven churches offer choice of religious
teaching ; half
a
dozen schools,
two old,
conveni
ently located, make the site desirable to persons of family;
lished papers supply the news of the day;- a number of societies recognize in a
A
stranger a member of like institutions, and extend the hand of welcome.
co-operative
and
loan
and good
grocery
opens
associations make
society
its doors to the
opens
thrive
and
upon
their
patronage.
treeJined, lead
past
the cultured, wealthy,
buildings,
well-estab
the way for cheapening the cost of living ; building
the acquisition of a home possible to the mechanic;
of varied rank and character ask
factures covering
at
very many Catholic
World, principally from Ireland, and tobfe uj> their
Falls, and the weak church grew strong.
has
of eight
in this village.
from the Old
now numbered at
the
long by forty-six feet wide. The
room is seventy-five
forty-four
feet
by
wide, with high, airy ceiling, and is finished
throughout in solid black walnut. The frescoing is unsurpassed elsewhere in the
and
families
earlier years
the first Catholic congregation, composed
In the course of time
October, 1831,
.Rapids,
1869. in Good
iflcreased to
now
1834.
1869 a large
its pastor, Rev.
to form themselves into a new society,
Church,
to be known
ing for organization
Mrs. Jabez
old companions.
formation.
of recent
the Wesleyan
members of
and
organization of
their
will rejoin
The Congregational Church is
of
the
furrowed their
and
In
was organized
"
the Wesleyan Church
served
for three years, was called, and the incipient steps were taken to complete
What is known as old Concert Hall was hired, and a Sunday-
grounds
for
the
conflict on
effort was made
an
JElev. B. F.
the
great
growth.
members,
Francis
American slavery, true to the
spirit of the Pilgrims of the Mayflower, many of the Congregationalists withdrew
from the other churches and became identified with the Wesleyan, in 1843.
the
During
COUNTY, NEW YORK
fine
On
Forty-six
worthy.
the trade
of
the
either side of
the
citizen and
and
professional.
establishments
the
fanner,
river, beautiM streets,
residences embellished with,
business,
retail
taste,
Factories,
am
wide
the homes
mills,
and
of
manu
time-worn
acres of ground with many-storied shops and strong,
resound with
the huhV
of
machinery,
of
while within are seen masses
HISTORY OF SENECA
iron,
gTain, wood,
and other material
Tons
of workmen.
hundreds
in
process of manufacture at
of crude
material
arrive
upon
the
the hands
canal
at
man,
the
and
various
family
man of
seeking
manufacturer,
home.
a permanent and pleasant
THE MILITARY OF SENECA FALLS.
Before the opening
great
were
"
call
arms
branches
engineer
tieth
!"
To
came,
later
of
as
the
of
Seneca Falls
"Zouaves,"
supplied with capable and
it
met a prompt response
the
from
was
of a
famous for the
whose ranks
efficient officers.
; cavalry, artillery,
numerous
When the
infantry, and
found willing and brave recruits. The Nine
the Ellsworth Regiment ; the Ontario Thirty-
service
Infantry, later Third Artillery ;
Seventy-fifth; the Fiftieth Engineers; and the later One
Twenty-sixth, One Hundred and Forty-eighth, and One Hundred
and Sixtieth Infantry, with batteries, cavalry regiments, sailors upon the wooden
decks of Farragut, or the monitors with monitor guns, had no better or braver
men than those from Seneca Falls.
Every call to the close met a prompt response,
and the record following shows the men who went.
third; the Cayuga
Hundred
and
regimental record.
The
following
transcript
exhibits
the
record of each man who enlisted
in
the
Thirty-third New York State
Volunteers, at Seneca Falls, May 9, 1861.
Robert T. Mann, Major, Company A; resigned, January 4, 1862.
George M. Guion, Captain; promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel One Hundred
and Forty-eighth New York Volunteers, September 28, 1862; Colonel October
26, 1863.
Tyler, Captain ; served as First Lieutenant to 'September 28, 1862 ;
1, 1862 ; discharged June 2, 1863.
Pryce W. Bailey, First Lieutenant ; served as Second Lieutenant to promotion,
May 21, 1862 ; detailed, January 28, 1863, as Assistant Inspector-General of
Third Brigade, Second Division, Sixth Corps.
Edwin J.
promoted
October
Thomas H.
October
31,
Sibbalds,
Second
Sergeant;
was
1862.
Archibald B.
Randolph,
First Sergeant ;
October
wounded
May 4,
1,
;
re-enlisted as private
at
Fredericksburg ;
1863.
10,
William Proudfoot, wounded at Fredericksburg, May
Robert Pennel, promoted Corporal August 12, 1861
paroled
to Second Lieutenant
promoted
William
4.
; to Sergeant December
Armstrong,
September 18, 1862.
Harrison W. Lewis, private ;
1863,
1862, before Richmond;
1862 ;
February 6,
enlisted
wounded
May 4,
Virginia.
at
October
7,
1861 ; taken
prisoner
.May
Miller, private; taken prisoner at Fredericksburg, May 4; paroled.
Miller, private.
Albert Niles, private.
William Pow, private; was wounded in action of May 4, 1863, at Fredericks
burg, Virginia.
Magoir M. Poquett, private ; wounded May 4, at Fredericksburg.
Peter Quinn, private; went to hospital, Georgetown, District of Columbia,
August 4, 1862.
Alonzo F. Randolph, private.
Solomon Rees, private; enlisted February 7, 1862.
John Rooney, private.
Matthew Rafferty, private.
Patrick Ryan, private; wounded at Fredericksburg, May 4, 1863.
Charles F. Smith, private; enlisted October 12, 1861 ; wounded at Antietam,
Maryland, September 17, 1862.
Isaac Vantassell, private.
Jacob Vandenberg, private.
Edwin Whitlock, private.
Washington Wait, private ; wounded May 4, at Fredericksburg.
Charles Whitcomb, private ; enlisted October 18, 1861 ; wounded May 4, at
Fredericksburg, Virginia ; paroled.
Killed. Edwin Piees, private ; fell in action before Richmond, Virginia, June
28, 1862.
Frank Reynolds, private, enlisted August 8, 1862 ; killed at Antietam, Mary
land, September 17, 1862.
Chas. P. Seigfred, fell at Antietam, Maryland, September 17, 1862.
Andrew J. Clark, private; killed in action of May 4, 1863, at Fredericksburg.
Died.
Ambrose Balch, private ; of disease in hospital, Providence, Rhode
Island, October 14, 1862.
Hiram W. Brewster, private ; of disease in hospital, Washington, District of
Columbia, August 3, 1861.
James D. Folwell, private ; of disease in hospital, New York, August 15, 1862.
John Force, private; of disease in hospital, Alexandria, Virginia, October 15,
Frank
promoted
to Corporal August
12,
John 0.
1861 ; to Sergeant
1,
Lawrence, advanced to Corporal July 21, 1862 ; to Sergeant January 1,
18G3 ; wounded May 4, at Fredericksburg.
Daniel 0. O'Neil, Corporal ; taken prisoner May 4, at Fredericksburg.
Levi Goodman, Corporal.
Andrew A. Campion, Corporal ; wounded at Fredericksburg, May 4.
John McDonald, promoted to Corporal January 1, 1863 ; taken prisoner ;
paroled.
of
1862.
Hulse,
; in
hospital, Georgetown,
District
of
Columbia, Sep
1861.
4,
Benjamin
of
private
Lloyd,
private,
January 5,
1862 ; in
hospital, Georgetown, District
Columbia.
Jno. W.
Mullen,
Corporal ;
at
Camp
White Oak
Church, Virginia,
21st De
cember, 1862.
William
David
Niles,
Woods,
Elmira, New York, July 8, 1861.
at Washington,
2,
private; in hospital
private, October
1862 ; in hospital
District
Columbia.
'
Lawrence Boyle,
W.
William F.
advanced
January 1, 1863.
Corporal January 1, 1863.
October 15, 1861 ; promoted
wounded
to Corporal
at
to Corporal
January
May 4.
Benjamin S. Corryell, private.
George A. Candler, private.
Isaac Conley, private ; enlisted November 7,
ericksburg, May 4.
1862.
;
wounded
Jno.M.
1861 ; taken
prisoner
at
Fred
May 4,
at
Fredericksburg,
and
left
May 4,
Fredericksburg.
private,
May 5, 1862; Williamsburg,
Virginia.
Pierson, Jr.,
private, December
11, 1862;
from
hospital, Baltimore,
Maryland.
Patrick
liamsburg,
Carl,
private,
enlisted
January 1,
1862 ; deserted
May 7, 1862,
Wil
Virginia.
Discharged.
Landing,
Bellows, Sergeant, for disability, July 26, 1862,
at
Har
Virginia.
October 14, 1862, Philadelphia, Pa.
John Monarchy, Sergeant, for disability,
at Newark, New Jersey.
William W. Valentine, for disability, December 3, 1862,
at White Oak Church, Virginia ;
Peter Roach, Sergeant, December 26, 1862,
for disability.
Jas. A.
rison's
at
Alfred,
Ethan Allen, Virginia.
Chas. C. Hardenbrook, private, October 25, 1861 ; Fort
Ethan
Fort
1861
Allen, Virginia.
;
George W. Howard, private, October 25,
rison's
arm amputated.
Franklin Hammond, private.
Irwin P. Humphrey, wounded
Jacob E. Jones, private.
14,
-Henry
private.-
private
Oliver
Deserted. Edwin
private.
Fulkerson,
Hendricks,
Potomac
phia, October
Patrick Anderson, private; enlisted February 20, 1862; wounded at Antietam,
Maryland, September 17, 1862.
James P. Bird, private; sworn in January 1, 1862.
Milton W. Bishop, private; entered service October 7, 1861.
Thomas W. Clark, private; wounded at Antietam, September 17, 1862.
William Clark, private.
J. Warren
Wells, Corporal ; wounded May 4, 1863, at Fredericksburg, Virginia;
Creek, Virginia, May 14, 1863.
F. Kelner, private, enlisted October 7, 1861 ; died in hospital, Philadel
Geo. H.
promoted'
Birdsall,
Hecker, enlisted
Henry Allen,
Joseph
October 7, 1861.
June 30,
prisoner
Fredericksburg,
Michael McLaughlin, private.
George Metzler, private; entered service
4, 1863, at Fredericksburg ; paroled.
David
1,
; taken
paroled
tember
November
1863 ;
entered service
private
1862.
1862.
Edwin J.
Jeffrey
Lemons,
115
David P.
the tremendous energy
which exhibited
the village
banded
of -its militia
organizations
itself,
upon
people -turned
proficiency
the war,
of
NEW YORK.
Frederick Kohles,
of
the
works, and the freight trains bear away the finished pro
Natural resources of soil, location, and
ducts of these industries.
water-power,
intelligent and energetic action on part of
combined with
citizens, render the
village of Seneca Falls a desirable residence for capitalist,
trades
the
of
wharves
COUNTY,
Beebe, private ;
Landing, Virginia.
Edward Fitzgerald,
Washington,
District
with
private
of
band
; for
Columbia.
by
general
disability,
order,
July 24, 1862,
September
8, 1862,
at
at
Har
hospital,
HISTORY OF SENECA
116
Wm. H.
private, December -27, 1861 ; for
Green,
disability,
at
Camp Griffin,
Virginia.
Jno. 0.
Gillett, Corporal,
at
hospital, Philadelphia,
March
26,
1862 ; for disa
William J.
Thayer,
Corporal ; for
disability, July 26, 1862,
at
hospital, Phila
delphia.
Jno. L.
Hotchkiss,
private, March
10, 1862,
at
Camp Griffin,
Virginia ; for
disability.
John
Kincaid,
private; for
disability, January 6, 1863,
at
hospital, Washing
ton, District of Columbia.
Paul Martell ; private, at
Camp Griffin, Virginia, January 6, 1861 ; for disability.
Proudfoot, private; for disability, November 27, 1861, at hospital,
Georgetown, District of Columbia.
Jacob Pay, private ; wounded at Antietam, September 17, 1862, and January
16, 1863; was discharged at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Dennis Sullivan, private; for disability, at Camp Griffin, Virginia, January
George
Vandersen,
private, December
20,
1862 ; for
disability,
at
White Oak
Church, Virginia,
Julius Buckley, private, enlisted October 1, 1861, and was discharged for disa
bility July 20, 1862, at Harrison's Landing.
David H. Ireland, private ^entered service October 1, 1861, and was dis
charged March 10, 1861, at
Camp Griffin, for disability.
Hiram Miller, private, enlisted October 15, 1861 ; discharged for disability
December 26, 1862, at White Oak Church.
John Steckel, private, entered service October 16, 1861 ; discharged for disa
bility September 8, 1862.
Daniel Whitbeck, private, enlisted October 1, 1861, and was discharged for
in hospital.
disability September 8,
James Bennett, private, enlisted February 10, 1862, and on account of dis
ability was discharged at Annapolis, Maryland, December 2, 1862.
William Seigfred, private, enlisted February 20, 1862, and March 2,1863,
was discharged at White Oak Church, Vii^inia, on account of disability.
Luther Salvage, private, entered service January 1, 1862, and for disability
was discharged September 8, 1862 ; re-enlisted in One Hundred and Forty-eighth
,1862,
New York State Volunteers ; again discharged.
Isaac Brown, private, January 1, 1863, at Convalescent
disability^
Camp, Alexandria,
for
.
William H.
disability
Smith, private, enlisted October 15, 1861, and was discharged for
February. 25, .1863, at Washington, District of Columbia.
Joshua
November
Coshner, private,
29,
January 13, 1863, was
disability at White Oak Church, Virginia.
Henry A. Sebar, private, enlisted April 1, 1862 ; discharged for disability Au
gust 15, 1862, at
Liberty Hall Hospital, Virginia.
Mordecai M. Pugh, private ; for
August 1, 1862, at Harrison's Land
Virginia.
ing,
T-rarts/erraZ.Orlando
Bacon, private, to N. C. Staff; promoted to Sergeantenlisted
1861 ;
discharged for
.disability,
Major.
John
Holly, private, enlisted May 22, 1861 ; to band, and discharged at Har
Landing, Virginia.
William M. Smith, private, enlisted May 22, 1861 ; to band, and received dis
charged at Harrison's Landing, Virginia.
John M. Guion, private, enlisted May 22, 1861 ; to Company H, and promoted
rison's
Second Lieutenant.
Luther R.
Haas,
Edmond
Farran, private, enlisted August 27, 1862.
Gott, private, enlisted August 27, 1861.
John Proudfoot, private, enlisted August 30, 1862, and David Schoonoven
private, enlisted August 30, 1862.
Company H.Jacob Green, December 22, 1862,
William Hopper, February 22, 1862.
S. V. Schemmerhorn, August 28, 1862 ; missed at Fredericksburg, May 4, 1863.
Alfred Van Gelder, August 28, 1862 ; transferred to Company. D, and attached
to Forty-ninth May 15, 1863.
Thomas Ireton, September 5, 1861 ; transferred to Company D, and attached
State Volunteers
Robert
to Forty-ninth..
enlisted
May 15,
Jardine,
1863.
private,
August
28,
1862 ; to
Company D,
Thirty-
attached
to Forty-ninth Regiment New York
August
27, 1862 ; to Company D, Thirtyto "Forty-ninth Regiment New York
.
enlisted
New York State Volunteers ;
State Volunteers ; paroled.
third
attached
Charles W. Sherman, private, entered, service August 13, 1862 ; to
Company
D, Thirty-third ; attached to Forty-ninth Regiment New York State Volunteers
May 15, 1863 ; and the following were also attached to Forty-ninth Regiment
New York State Volunteers May 15, 1863:
James H. Smallbridge, private, enlisted August 7,-1862; to
Company D,
Thirty-third..
James
private, enlisted August 27, 1862 ; to Company D, Thirty-third.
Amos R. Babcock, private, enlisted August 27, 1862 to
;
Company D, Thirtythird.
by
August
30, 1862 ;
May 4, 1863,
missed
at
Fredericks
Company K. Patrick McGraw, May 22, 1861, Captain.
Byrne, First Lieutenant, May 22, 1861 ; wounded at Marye's Heights.
Patrick Ryan, Second Lieutenant, May 22, 1861 ; resigned August 6, 1861.
Edward Carey, Second Lieutenant, appointed August 6, 1861 ; detached on
General Smith's
James
staff.
Curren,
First
Sergeant, May 22,
Beebe,
order Of
Bego,
private,
enlisted
August
29,
1862 ;
was
transferred to brigade
General Franklin.
private,
enlisted
August
27,
1862 ;
.
and. was
transferred
with
the
1861 ; taken
prisoner
May 4, 1863;
paroled.
William
Robinson, Sergeant, May 22, 1861
; taken
prisoner
May 4,
1863 ;
paroled.
Smith, Sergeant, May 22, 1861.
Martin, Sergeant, May 22, 1861.
Michael O'Brien, Sergeant, May 22, 1861 ; Corporal at enrollment ; appointed
Sergeant September 1, 1862 ; wounded at Fredericksburg May 4, 1863.
Hugh MeFarland, Corporal, May 22, 1861 ; wounded May 3, 1863, at Fred
William
Thomas
ericksburg, Virginia.
Tobin, Corporal, May 22, 1861.
McGuire, Corporal, appointed September 1, 1862.
Patrick Anderson, Frank Alman, February 22, 1862, at Albany; wounded
June 29, 1862.
The following is a list of privates who enlisted May 22, 1861 :
Patrick Barry, James Butler, Michael Boyle, William Christy, Nicholas Christy,
Thomas Casey, Thomas Carroll, Owen Carroll, Michael Cincher, Jeremiah Christ
ler, Richard Costallo, Michael Cunningham, taken prisoners May 4, 1863, and
John
Frank
paroled.
Thomas
May 4,
Donnelly, Luke Dowd,
1863 ;
Patrick
Fagin, William Hunt,
taken
prisoners
paroled.
Lahey, Patrick McCreddan, taken prisoners May 4, 1863 ; paroled.
John McGuire, wounded May 3, at Fredericksburg, Virginia.
Thomas McGraw, Daniel McGraw, taken prisoners May 4,
; paroled.
Patrick Markey, July 5, 1861 ; taken prisoner May 4, 1863 ; paroled.
Cornelius O'Donnohoe, transferred from Company E, July, 1861.
James Roe, Owen Ryan, Thomas Ryan, James Scully, Joseph Stickles, Joseph
Stead, Patrick Walsh, taken prisoners May 4, 1863, paroled; transferred from
Patrick
Company
D.
McGraw, Sergeant, wounded at Mechanicsville May 25,
Curren, promoted Assistant Surgeon.
John Cullen, wounded May 24, 1862, at Mechanicsville.
Thomas Clancey and the following-named were discharged on
James
1862.
Richard
of
Surgeon's
cer
disability :
Meyers, Bernard Madden, Michael C. Murphy, July 12, 1862.
Roe, Jr., Michael Pendergrass, January 3, 1863.
Michael Donnoughoe, enlisted September 1, 1862, Albany; discharged October
24, 1862.
John Thompson, September 3, 1862.
John Byron, enlisted February 1, 1862, Albany; discharged.
James Gibson, enlisted August 30, 1862, Albany; discharged November 17,
1862, by General Franklin.
Samuel B. Joslyn, August 26, 1862; discharged November 17, 1862, by Gen
George
James
eral
Franklin's
Stephen
order.
White;
discharged October
Transferred.John
Hodgson,
29,
enlisted
1862.
August
27, 1862, Rochester;
pany D, and attached to Forty-ninth May 15, 1863.
James Noone, August 30, 1861, Rochester; to Company
to Com
.
D;
attached
to
Forty-
May 15, 1863.
Forty-ninth.
Nugent, August 31, 1862 ; to Company D ; attached to
Died.Thomas Boyle, enlisted as private July 5, 1861 ; died at Hagerstown,
ninth
James K.
John
Gelder,
burg.
Aspell,'
band
M. Van
Henry
tificate
private,
New York State Volunteers ;
third
attached
Barnard
1862.
Richard
to
following others to Company D, Thirty-third New York State Volunteers ;
to Forty^ninth Regiment New York State. Volunteers May 15, 1863.
Charles
bility.
13,
COUNTY, NEW YORK.
Patrick
Maryland, November 11,
1861.
PILATE
.XLV.
HISTORY OF SENECA
Finegair, at Camp Griffin, Virginia, December 25, 1861.
Riely, November 28, 1862, at Frederick City, Maryland.
George Clark, at Newark, New Jersey, October 19, 1861.
Amos N. Cross, at Harrison's Landing, November 11, 1862.
James Hayes, in hospital, Washington, District of Columbia, July 11, 1862.
Patrick McConnell, at Alexandria, Virginia, October 20, 1862.
Michael Murphy, at Annapolis, October, 1862.
James Ryan, Hagerstown, Maryland, November 8; 1862.
Killed. Daniel Murphy, at Mechanicsville, May 24, 1862.
Michael Carroll, enlisted August 28, 1862 ; killed in battle, Fredericksburg,
May 3, 1863.
Bernard Smith, enlisted July 4, 1861 ; killed at Fredericksburg, May 3, 1863.
Lawrence Boyle, July 3, 1861, at Elmira.
Deserted.
James Burns, July 5, Elmira.
Daniel Buckley, July 5, 1861, Camp Ethan Allen.
Patrick Coif, July 4, 1861, Elmira.
Thomas Daunngoole, July 7, 1861, at Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
John Donnelly, Elmira, July 4, 1861.
Thomas Flinn, Elmira, July 6, 1861.
William Gee, White Oak Church, Virginia, February 23, 1863.
Dennis Hayes, July 7, 1861, at Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
Gordon Hunt, July 4, 1861, Elmira.
James Keeler, Elmira, July 4, 1861.
Michael Kilty, Corporal, Turkey Bend, July. 2, 1862.
Michael
July 8, 1861, Baltimore, Maryland.
Bernard McGraw, July 3, 1861, Elmira.
Joseph Miller, July 10, 1861, Washington, District of Columbia.
Hugh Murphy, July 6, 1861, Baltimore.
John McCabe, at Camp Ethan Allen, Virginia.
Patrick McKinney, Camp Griffin, December 1, 1861.
Patrick Neigle, Washington, District of Columbia, July 10, 1861.
Patrick Rogers, Elmira, July 4, 1861.
Philip Ryan, July 7, 1861; Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
John Smith, Hagerstown, Maryland.
William B. Swift, July 4, 1861, Elmira.
Thromon Wallage, July 10, 1861, Washington.
Anrios Yackley, Fredericksburg, November 2, 1862.
Joseph
John
McGill,'
COUNTY, NEW YORK.
W. Burr
Henion,
E.
First
en
listed in Third
oner.
Edward
Florence
Crelly, August 30, Corporal ; promoted Sergeant.
Sullivan, August 28, 1862, Corporal; prisoner April 9, 1864,
Corporal.
Thomas
Kennedy,
August
30,
1862.
John
-Regan, private, September 3, 1862 ; killed
September 19, 1864.
William Lane, August 28, private.
Patrick
Mackin,
Joseph McCalle,
30; 1862.
September 3, 1862,
at
Winchester,
Virginia,-
ONE HUNDRED AND ELEVENTH
;
prisoner
April
McAnana, February 28, 1864.
Crelly, Jr., September 3, 1864.
James
Watson,-
September 3, 1864.
Baker, July 20, 1862.
John Miller, 1862.
Jacob Pepworth, February 8, 1864.
S. F. Gould, February 12, 1864.
Jay
Hiram
TWENTY-EIGHTH INFANTRY.
Israel
Hart,
Jr.
(Company F),
August
12,
1862 ; discharged for disability.
ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-EIGHTH INFANTRY.
Company
Robert C. Daley, Captain ;
A.
was appointed
Captain
on organization
;
in recruiting the company,
1, 1864.
aided
resigned
and
August
Roberts, First Lieutenant ; enrolled twenty-four men, and was mus
Lieutenant; promoted captain; resigned May 15, 1865.
Cortland Van Rensselaer, Second Lieutenant ; assisted in raising the company,
and was appointed Second Lieutenant on organization ; dismissed March 6, 1863 ;
reinstated and joined for
duty June 7, 1863 ; taken prisoner before Petersburg
June 15, 1864 ; promoted captain April 1, 1865.
Alpheus Roberts, Sergeant, July 23, 1862 ; transferred from One Hundred
Thaddeus
tered in First
and
Twenty-sixth Regiment.
Curtis S.
Dey, Sergeant, July 30,
from One Hundred
Chas. H.
Traver,
and
18&2 ;
mustered
August 18 ; transferred
Twenty-sixth ; killed at Fort Darling March, 1864.
Sergeant, August 28, 1862 ; mustered August 13 ; from
Twenty-sixth.
Johnson, Sergeant, August
First Lieutenant
31 ; mustered September 5 ; promoted
October 27, 1861, Fair Oaks, Virginia;
Company H;
May 14, 1865.
Fred. S. Gibbs, Corporal, July 30 ; transferred from One Hundred and Twentysixth; mustered August 8; wounded in the battle of Cold Harbor June 3,
wounded
resigned
Rumsey, Corporal, July 30, 1862 ; from One Hundred
August 8 ; promoted First Lieutenant February 25, 1865 ;
Horace N.
sixth
and
Twenty-
wounded
at
Cold Harbor.
Hiram P.
sixth
Barton, Corporal, July 31,
and
Twenty-
; deserted ;
prisoner
1862 ; from One Hundred
August 8.
Dillon, Corporal, August 29, 1863, and
Wm. J.
mustered
before Petersburg.
Thomas W.
August
Pringle, Corporal,
Twenty-sixth August 18 ; slightly
before Petersburg.
Havens, Jr.,
August
5,
12,
wounded
1862 ; from One Hundred
at
Cold Harbor ; taken
1862 ; from One Hundred
and
and
prisoner
Twenty-sixth
Privates
Bellows, Surgeon, March 13, 1863.
John C. Appleby, August 2, 1862; from One
Hundred
and
Twenty-sixth August 8.
Charles H.
Barney McGraw, August 29, 1861 ; killed at Centreville, Louisiana.
Patrick McCabe, September 10, 1862, private.
Patrick Ryan, August 18, 1862; prisoner April 9, 1864, Pleasant
died September 20, 1865, at Hawkinsville, Georgia,
,
INFANTRY.
August 11.
1864.
ONE HUNDRED AND
Provost-
Michael
Jas. W.
James R.Roberson, September 3, 1862.
John Stickle, August 29, 1862, aged eighteen ;
Thomas Soff, private, August 28, 1862.
Clerk in
Sheridan, August 8, 1862 ; in twenty-one battles.
Stout, August, 1862.
John Thurwall, July 15, 1862.
Thomas Yeo, August 9, 1862 ; severely wounded at Gettysburg, July 3, 1863.
Moses M. Gleason (Company F), July 30, 1862 ; died of disease near Centre
ville, Virginia, April 9, 1863.
Thomas Crelly (Company F), August 9, 1862 ; mustered in September 14.
9,'
aged eighteen
as
Charles
Dan.
private, August
private,
duty
.1864.
Mans
field, Louisiana.
T. Brophy, August 26, 1862 ; deserted September, 1862.
Anthony Crelly, private, August 29, 1862.
Crelly, August 28, private ; discharged for disability August 3, 1865.
William Crelly, private, September 10, 1862.
William Dernin, August 25, 1862; prisoner April 9, Mansfield, Louisiana;
promoted
on
Abraham D.
Chas. J.
James Gray,
Lieutenant,
October, 1863;
Artillery September 3, 1864 ; Corporal.
Thomas O'Herron, August 29, 1862, Sergeant; discharged as paroled pris
Company
resigned
August 9, 1862 ; detached
Marshal's office.
George R. Redmond, August,. 1862.
One Hundred
ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTIETH NEW YORK STATE VOLUNTEERS.
117
gust
Hill;
Brooks,
August 15 ; from One Hundred
and
Twenty-sixth Au
18.
George S.
Bates, August 27, 1862 ;
mustered
August 29 ; died
at
Portsmouth,
Virginia ; buried in Restvale.
Ball, August 27, 1862 ; mustered August 29.
E. J. Bowman, August 11 ; from. One Hundred and Twenty-sixth August 18.
L. J. Bradley, August 30, 1862 ; mustered 30th.
Marvin Burroughs, July 28, 1862; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth
August 8 ; wounded at Gaines's Farm June 3, 1864.
Ansel
transferred to Fifth Cavalry.
TWENTY-SIXTH
INFANTRY.
Company I. Charles Burroughs, private, August 9, 1862; discharged for
physical
disability February 15, 1863, at Chicago.
John Dunn (Company G), August 13, 1862 ; detailed in ambulance corps.
James Everts, private, 1862.
Hiram
11 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth ; wounded
at Port Walthla.
August 27, 1862 ; mustered 28th ; wounded at Cold Harbor.
Barringer, August
May 26, 1864,
Isaac Conkey,
James V. Churchill,
August
29,
1862 ; taken
prisoner
before Petersburg.
HISTORY OF SENECA
118
James G.
11 ; taken
Cross, August 9, 1862 ;
from One Hundred
and
COUNTY,
Burton A.
Twenty-sixth August
Tuttle, August 28. 1862 : wounded at Cold Harbor.
Melvin Tubbs, August 14, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth August 8.
William Thompson, August 4, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth
before Petersburg.
prisoner
John
Cory, August 27 ; died September 7, 1862.
Robert Campbell, August 29, 1862 ; taken prisoner before Petersburg.
Lemuel B. Cross, August 12, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth ;
wounded at Cold Harbor June 3, 1864.
Crawford, August 9, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth.
Caroll, July 31, 1862; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth;
wounded at Cold Harbor ; again, before Petersburg, June 15.
Peter A. Deal, August 12, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth ;
August 8 ; taken prisoner June 15 before Petersburg.
Harman Van. Vleck, August 15, 1862; from One Hundred
August
taken
prisoner
August
Feeder,
Green, July
18, 1862;
31 ;
mustered
Michael
August 18 ; from One Hundred
and
and
Twenty-sixth
Hopkins, August 26 ; mustered August 29.
Hovel, August 9, 1862; from One Hundred
and
Twenty-sixth
Hastie, August 9 ; wounded at Cold Harbor June 3, 1864.
Hurd, August 22, 1862 ; mustered in August 28.
B. Hull, August 5, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth August
wounded at
Cold Harbor.
Cornelius
Dibban, August 29, 1862 ; taken prisoner before Petersburg June 15.
John 0. Kiesinger, August 7, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth
August ; killed at Cold Harbor, Virginia, June 3, 1864.
Thomas R. Laurence, August 9, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth
August 18.
William
Lace,
August
30, 1862,
and mustered same
date ; taken
prisoner
be
fore Petersburg.
Charles
Lynch,
August
7,
1862 ; from One Hundred
Twenty-sixth Au
and
11.
gust
Benjamin
Meny, August 30, 1862 ; taken prisoner before Petersburg.
Morris, July 31, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth
William F.
August 11.
Charles
15,
August
Marshall,
23,
1862 ;
mustered
August 28 ;
wounded
June
before Petersburg.
Josiah
Pilbeam, August 18, 1862; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth;
Cold Harbor, June 3, 1864.
Edward Pilbeam, drummer, August 30. 1862 ; mustered September 1.
John C. Pringle, August 5, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth
gust
Wood,
August
Parmelee, August 7,
1862 ; from One Hundred
and
Penoyar, July 31,
1862 ; from One Hundred
and
Twenty-sixth Au
Twenty-sixth August
18 ; taken prisoner before Petersburg.
John Persannar, August 15, 1862 ; from One Hundred
August 18.
James
James
Reynolds,
Twenty-sixth Au
Company H. Benjamin Watkins, Captain ; enrolled the company, in August
September, 1862 ; was discharged December 14,
Fred. L. Manning, First Lieutenant; appointed at organization at twenty-four
years of age ; was Lieutenant-Colonel December 14, 1864.
Henry Parsons, Second Lieutenant on organization ; promoted Captain February
10, 1865.
John Bowers, Sergeant, September 5, 1862.
John Bortle, August 28, 1862 ; wounded at Cold Harbor.
John Donshied, August 27, 1862 ; wounded at Fair Oaks, October 27, 1864.
Conrad Eckhart, August 27.
Michael Eck, August 27, 1862;
Andrew Gramer, August 28 ; wounded at Cold Harbor.
John M. Hippie, August 27, 1862 ; mustered September 1.
Lewis Lecter, August 27, 1862; mustered September 1.
Andrew Lob, August 27, 1862 ; wounded June 3, 1864.
Leonard Maurer, August 28, 1862.
John Morris, August 27, 1862.
Mathias Moll, August 27, 1862 ; missing June 3, 1864.
John Ruprecht, August 27 ; missing October 27, at Fair Oaks, Virginia.
Urban Ritzenthaler, August 28, 1862.
John W. Ulrich, August 27, 1862 ; missing at Fair Oaks, Virginia, October
27, 1864.
August Walter, enlisted August 27, 1862 ; was mustered in September 1,
1862.
ONE HUNDREDTH
Archibald L.
Vanness,
private, September
INFANTRY.
15,
1864.
August
11, 1862;
from One Hundred
Charles B.
2,
and
Twenty-sixth
August
June
August 8.
James H.
27,'
Company C.--James E. Ashcroft, Captain, April
1861; mustered out
June 20, 1864.
Samuel C. Day, Lieutenant, April 27 ; promoted Captain ; resigned May 17,
Twenty-sixth
18, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth August
15, 1864, before Petersburg.
Alexander Rushett, August 11, 1862 ; from One Hundred. and Twenty-sixth;
wounded at Port Walthal,
May 29, 1864.
James L. Race, July 31, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth August 8.
Renaldo Rogers, August 29, 1862 ; mustered same date.
David L. Savage, July 28, 1862; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth
Stout,
August
August 8 ; severely wounded
Samuel Scott, August 29 ;
5, 1862; from One Hundred
at
and
Twenty-sixth
Cold Harbor.
mustered same
date ;
wounded at
Cold Harbor.
Levi B.
Shuman, August 20 ; mustered August 28.
William H. Storms, August 18, 1862 ; from One Hundred
George Speers, August 30, 1862 ; mustered same date.
William
and
Johnson Wear, August 7, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth August
13 ; taken prisoner before Petersburg June 15, 1864.
T. B. Young, August 29, 1862 ; mustered August 30 ; taken prisoner June
Stevenson,
August
29,
1862 ; killed
at
Randolph, Ensign, April 27 ;
promoted
CaptMn ;
mustered out
June
1864.
Charles C.
1863 ;
Roe,
wounded
1863.
1862 ; from One Hundred
1865.
and
August 18.
18 ;
8,
NINETEENTH INFANTRY.
11.
James
Twenty-sixth
8.
August 8.
gust
and
Twenty-
Rensselaer, August 30, 1862 ; mustered September 1 ; killed at
3, 1864.
Wilcoxen, August 2, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth
wounded at
Alver
1862 ; from One Hundred
and
1864.'
Thomas
18;
5,"
from One Hundred
and
August 11.
David
August
Zant,
14, 1862 ;
27, 1864.
15 before Petersburg.
11 ; taken prisoner before Petersburg.
George 0. Hopkins, August 6, 1862 ; from One Hundred
August 18.
Cyrus
August
August 8.
Graham, August 29, 1862 ; wounded Cold Harbor.
Hudson, August 6, 1862 ; from One Hundred and Twenty-sixth August
Wm. A.
Charles B.
Cold
at
at-
C.
Aelstyn,
Fair Oaks October
August 18.
August 29.
mustered
Charles
Henry
; missing
Jacob Van
at
Cold Harbor June
Twenty-sixth.
John
Twenty-sixth
Theodore Van
Dromgoold, August 22 ; mustered August 29.
Michael Donigan, August 22, 1862 ; mustered in August 29 ; killed
Harbor June 3, 1864.
James E.
sixth
before Petersburg.
John
Benjamin
and
18.
Thomas W. Van
Francis L.
Matthew
NEW YORK.
Graves,
promoted
First Sergeant ;
Adolphus W. Newton,
at expiration of
promoted
Lieutenant ;
resigned
April
18,
Major.
Sergeant, April
27 ;
promoted
First Sergeant ; discharged
term.
Alonzo
Jordan, April 27, Sergeant.
Griffin, Corporal, April 27.
William Seeley> Fifer, April 27, 1861 ; discharged at expiration of term, 1863.
William H. Adams, private, April 27, 1861 ; mustered May 22, 1861.
Jeremiah Barnard, April 27, 1861.
Julius Buckley, discharged for disability August 20, 1861 ; re-enlisted in
Thirty-third October 1, 1861 ; discharged for disability July 20, 1862, at Harri
son's Landing, Virginia.
Peter Campbell, April 27 ; deserted at Elmira June 3, 1861.
Richard D. Connelly, April 27 ; discharged at close of term of two years ;
enlisted ; died of disease in Virginia October
13, 1864.
Samuel Gilbert, April 27, 1861.
William Gunn, April 27 ; promoted Sergeant ; discharged at close of term
Menzo
re-
and
Twenty-sixth.
Norfolk, Virginia,
October
15,
.
1863.
HISTORY OF SENECA COUNTY,. NEW YORK.
119
20'
1861.
Gurley, April 27 ; discharged for disability August
Lewis Gurley, deserted August 29, 1861.
George Hall, April 27 ; discharged at expiration of term.
Lewis Howe, April 27 ; discharged at expiration of term.
Joseph Keenan, April 27, 1861 ; deserted August 29, 1861.
Oscar Langford, appointed Corporal ; deserted September 17, 1861.
Theodore Langs, discharged from volunteer service, by order
Secretary
Charles
Thomas J. Lormore, Sergeant,
May 9, 1861 ; mustered in May 22.
James S. FuUer, May 9, 1861,
promoted First
Sergeant;
Lieutenant;
October 16, 1864.
charged
dis
Ira P.
Martin, April 27 ; discharged at expiration of term 1863.
Henry McLaughlin, April 27 ;. discharged with regiment ; re-enlisted Septem
ber 19, 1863, in First Veteran Cavalry; appointed farrier; discharged with
regiment July 20, 1865.
James McKinney, April 27; discharged.; re-enlisted September 19, 1863, in
First Veteran Cavalry ; discharged with regiment July 20, 1865.
John Murray, April 2Y ; discharged at expiration of term 1863.
Albert C Parker, April 27, 1861 ; discharged at close of term 1863.
Charles Reed, April 27, 1861 ; mustered in May 22.
Isaac Rider, discharged, and re-enlisted in Third Artillery February, 1864 ; dis
Nichols, fifer, May 9, 1861.
Beary, private, Jfay 9, 1861.
Cornelius B. Brusie, May 9, 1861 ; discharged
August, 1863 ; re-enlisted in
One Hundred and Twenty-fourth
Infantry August, 1863.
George Glazier, May 9, 1861.
Benjamin F. Nichols, May 9, 1861.
Charles Rosenburg, May 9, 1861 ; died of disease at
Beaufort, North Carolina,
May 30,
Milton Race, May 9, 1861.
Jacob A. Reed, May 9, 1861.
John Saunders, May 9, 1861.
Hiram Snell, May 9, 1861.
Ralph Somers, May 9, 1861.
Wilbur F. Woodward, May 9, 1861 ; served twenty-six months with Nine
teenth and Third
Artillery ; re-enlisted September 12, 1864, in Third Artillery,
charged with regiment.
and was mustered out
June
25,
1862 ;
appointed
Hospital Steward United States
Lorenzo
of
War,
army.
George
'
1862.'
in
1865.
June,
April
Rightmyer,
27, 1861 ; deserted August 29, 1861.
April
27, 1861 ; appointed Corporal ; discharged
Skidmore,
James L.
Thomas'
SEVENTY-FIFTH INFANTRY.
at close of
William H.
-term.
Jones, April 27, 1861 ; served term and discharged.
Daniel Stieger, April 27, 1861 ; discharged at close of term.
Andrew J. Taber, April 27, 1863 ; served, two years.
Charles Van Tassell, April 27, 1861 ; deserted August 25, 1861.
George West, April 27, 1861 ; died at. Hancock, Maryland, April 13, 1863.
Marcellus Wier, April 27, 1861 ; discharged ; re-enlisted in Sixteenth Artillery
December 16, 1863 ; discharged with regiment August 21, 1865.
Alonzo Williams, April 27.
Edward Manning, Sergeant, April 27, 1861 ; transferred to non-commissioned
staff May 25, 1862.
Andrew Hollenback, Corporal, April 27, 1861 ; transferred to band November
1,1861; re-enlisted in Sixteenth Artillery; promoted Lieutenant; discharged
March 19, 1864.
William E. Bishop, April 27, 1861 ; deserted September 17, 1861.
William E. Smith, April 27, 1861 ; deserted off furlough September 6, 1861.
Joseph Winters, April 27, 1861 ; drowned at Washington June 28, 1861.
John Burdock, April 27, 1861 ; served term.
Alexander Bowles, April 27 ; deserted September 15, 1861, at Darnestown,
Stewart,
enlisted
February 29,
1864 ;
mustered same
date.
Peter
Maryland.
Thomas
William
April
Bratran, April 27, 1861 ; discharged at close of term.
Burton, April 27, 1861 ; promoted Corporal; discharged for disability
10, 1863.
Cavanaugh, April 27 ; deserted September 15, 1861,
NINETY-FIRST INFANTRY.
W. W.
Bemler,
enlisted
September
9, 1864.
ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-FIFTH INFANTRY.
George W.
Telford,
enlisted
September 9, 1864.
ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY-FOURTH INFANTRY.
Franklin
Peter
Hammond, February 17,
Murphy, April 3, 1865.
1865.
FIFTIETH ENGINEERS.
Company K. John B. Murray, Captain, August 1, 1861 ; resigned July 23;
1862; mustered Major of One Hundred and Forty-eighth, September 5, 1862;promoted LieutenantColonel February, 1864 ; Colonel December, 1864 ; dis
.
charged
June
29, 1865.
McDonald,
First Lieutenant, August 3, 1864; promoted Major
Brevet
Lieutenant-Colonel April 9, 1865 ; mustered out June
1865
31,
;
January
regiment.
with
13, 1865,
Warren W. Lamb, August 3, 1861, Second Lieutenant; discharged July 21,
James H.
1862 ; enlisted in Twenty-second
September 19, 1864.
Cavalry ;
promoted
First Lieutenant ; discharged
April 27, 1861 ; served term.
Le Roy B. Ellis, April 27, 1861 ; died in hospital at Baltimore, October 19, 1861.
William Hewitt, April 27, 1861 ; served his term.
Bellous, August 29, 1861, Sergeant; promoted Second Lieutenant;
February 24, 1865.
Theodore R. Pelham, Sergeant, August 2, 1861; discharged for disability
July 17, 1862.
Frank Silsby, August 2, 1861, Sergeant; discharged December 4, 1861 ; pro
moted Second Lieutenant in Seventy-fifth Infantry ; promoted First Lieutenant
September 1, 1862 ; Captain, May 1, 1863.; discharged at expiration of term,
December 6, 1864;
George B. Lawrence, September 6, 1861, private; promoted to Sergeant Sep
James
tember
James
Darnestown,
at
Cowal, April 27, 1861 ; transferred to Company D November 1, 1861.
Dempsey, April 27, 1861 ; served term.
Patrick Dillon, April 27, 1861 ; discharged at expiration of term ; promoted
Robert
Patrick
-Sergeant.
Timothy Dillon,
27, 1861.
William P. Harrington, April 27, 1861.
Hall,
George
April
April
27,'
afterwards
September
15, 1861,
at
Darnestown,-
Maryland.
Benjamin Randall, April. 27, 1861 ; deserted September 16, 1861.
Clark
1861.
17,
Salvage, private, September 9, 1861 ;
promoted
Corporal September
1861 ; died at Seneca Falls, August 5, 1862.
W. F. Brown, August 3, 1861 ; promoted Corporal September
1861.
Howe,
Hopper, April 27, 1861.
James Leary, April 27, 1861.
John Randall, April 27, 1861 ; deserted
'
Charles
Thomas
Saunders, April 27, 1861.
Sloat, April 27, 1861 ; deserted September 15, 1861.
Charles Smith, April 27, 1861 ; deserted September 15, 1861;
Vinton F. Story, April 27, 1861 ; served his term.
John Twist, April 27, 1861.
Peter Hartsuff, April 27, 1861.
William H. White, April 27.
Company I. George W. Thomas, Lieutenant, May 9, 1861; mustered out
May 30, 1864.
Horace C. Silsby, First Sergeant, May 9; 1861 ; transferred to Seventy-fifth
Infantry ; resigned September 5, 1862 ; promoted Lieutenant ; promoted Captain.
James W.
George H.
discharged
Maryland.
17,
17,
1861 ;
Sergeant.
Luman H.
Carter,
August
16,
1861 ;
promoted
Corporal September
17, 1861 ;
discharged for disability.
George W.
ant;
resigned
Sergeant, August 5, 1861 ; promoted Second Lieuten
22, 1862.
Lorder, August 20, 1861, private; promoted Corporal Septem
Lamb,
First
December
John W. Van
1861 ; promoted Sergeant ; discharged for disability.
Isaac A. Johnson, August 20, 1861, promoted Corporal September
ber
17,
17,
1861 ;
discharged for disability.
Kneath, September 6, 1861, promoted Corporal September 17, 1861.
private ; promoted Corporal September
Sterling W. Wicks, September 12, 1861,
discharged with regiment, June 24, 1865.
17, 1861 ; promoted Sergeant;
September
7, 1861 ; served to June, 1865.
D.
F.
Edson, musician,
September
12, 1861 ; served term.
Robert B. Auld, musician,
David T.
Hiram P.
Barton,
August
3,
1861 ;
appointed
wagoner, September
17,
1861 ;
HISTORY OF SENECA
i2a
discharged
and
January 4, 1862, for disability;
Forty-eighth July 31, 1862, and was
enlisted as
discharged
Corporal in One Hundred
with regiment
June
22,
1865.
F. D.
Amidon, August 12, 1861 ; died in service.
Ephraim Alexander, August 21, 1861 ; served term.
Peter Bilby, August 28, 1861 ; died
service.
William Carl, August 30, 1861 ; discharged for disability.
T. N. Gregory, August 27, 1861 ; discharged for disability.
Charles A. Harris, September 12, 1861 ; served term.
William H. Hungerford, September 12, 1861 ; deserted.
John Haller, September 16, 1861 ; served term;
Ferdinand Koning, September 9, 1861 ; discharged with regiment June, 1865.
Mills, August 29, 1861.
Peter McKinney, August 30, 1861 ; discharged at expiration of term.
Joseph Mills, August 30, 1861 ; discharged with regiment, June, 1865.
Henry P. Myers, August 7, 1861 ; died in service.
Patrick Rush, August 24, 1861.
William D. Reeves, August 31, 1861.
John Sullivan, September 1, 1861.
Frank Van Hutten, September 9, 1861.
Frederick White, August 30, 1861 ; discharged for disability.
Allen R. Wilson, September 7, 1861.
James Woodworth, August 7, 1861, private ; promoted Sergeant.
Eli F. Wilson,
16, 1861.
John H. Yound, September 12, 1861 ; discharged for disability.
Peter P. Clarkson, November 26, 1861 ; discharged for disability.
William H. Harris, November 25, 1861 ; discharged for disability.
Oliver W. Harmon, November 25, 1861, private; promoted Sergeant.
Samuel Jacoby, December 6, 1861, private; enlisted in Sixteenth Ohio, April
20, 1861, for three months; discharged; promoted Corporal February 1, 1862;
Sergeant July, 1864 ; Second Lieutenant June, 1865 ; discharged with regiment
July 1, 1865.
Garrett Leffler, December 9, 1861.
Andrew J. Rosenberg, November 26, 1861.
Collins Rogers, December 3, 1861, private; promoted Sergeant.
Matthias Rosenberg, December 12, 1861, private; promoted Coroporal.
Thomas Rudigan, December 4, 1861.
Thomas Safely, November 23, 1861 ; discharged December 17, 1864.
Thomas Stafford, private ; December 2, 1861 ; promoted Sergeant.
George Sullivan, December 13,1861.
Thomas Welsh, December 13, 1861 ; died in service.
Jonathan White, December 8, 1861.
Norman Bachman, January 1, 1862 ; discharged for disability.
J. J. Green, December 16, 1861 ; re-enlisted December, 1863 ; discharged
.in
Jonathan'
COUNTY, NEW YORK.
Erastus D.
Marshall, August 29, 1862.
James P. Smith, August 11, 1864.
William H. Greer, August 18, 1864.
Cornelius L. Younglove, August 18, 1864.
Chas. H. Field, August 23, 1864.
Michael Murphy, August 23, 1864.
Michael Dolan, August 31, 1864.
Huber Cree, September 3, 1864.
John O. Gillett, September 3, 1864.
James H. Van Houten, September 3, 1864.
Thompson Beach, September 3, 1864.
Thomas Crelly, September 3, 1864.
John Cochran, September 3, 1864.
William Dolan, September 3, 1864.
Edward Donohue, September 3, 1864.
Thomas Fitzsimmons, September 3, 1864.
John D. Hough, September 3, 1864.
Sidney Hurd, September 3, 1864 ; discharged May 19, 1865.
Joseph Hess, September 3, 1864.
John Leek, September 3, 1864.
Hugh McParland, September 3, 1864.
Thomas McGrain, September 3, 1864; transferred to Fifteenth Engineers;
discharged June
15,
1865.
September'
Samuel B.
Horton, December 16, 1861.
Holdridge, private, December 24,
1861 ;
promoted
Sergeant ; dis
charged with regiment.
Albert
Kissinger, December 11, 1861.
Lawrence, December 11, 1861, private; promoted Second Lieutenant
February 16, 1865.
William C. Philo, private, November 21, 1861 ; Sergeant at muster-out.
Silas F. Ashley, August 28, 1862 ; transferred to Invalid Corps.
Cyrus Best, August 30, 1862 ; deserted.
Allen Beach, August 27, 1862 ; died in Washington, 1863.
Lorenzo "Baker, August 28, 1862 ; discharged with regiment.
George M. Demorest, August 28, 1862r private ; promoted Sergeant.
William Jones, August 29, 1862 ; deserted.
George W. LarzaJere, August 27, 1862.
John L. Payne, Aug. 26, 1862, private; promoted to Second Lieutenant
February 15, 1864 ; First Lieutenant March 16, 1865 ; discharged with regiment
June 24, 1865.
John Spelman, August 26, 1862.
Norman Storing, August 28, 1862 ; died in service.
Henry M. Smith, August 28; 1862 ; discharged 1864.
Henry H. Sheridan, August 28, 1862.
William Van Rensselaer, Second Lieutenantj
July 27, 1862 ; promoted to First
Lietitei^ffit September 19, 1862 ; Brevet Captain August 1, 1864.
Edwards W. Viete;* serving Company I, private, August
29, 1862 ; promoted
Hiram
Corporal ; discharged
with regiment June
24, 1865.
Whitney, August 28, 1862.
Wayland Weeks, August 29, 1862.
William H.
H. P.
1864.
FIFTEENTH CAVALRY.
Company
K.
James
Butler, August, 1863; killed
at
Goldsboro',
North
Carolina.
William
Owen
Robinson, August, 1863.
Ryan, August, 1863 ; died
in
prison at
Andersonville, Georgia, July,
1864.
Bryant
Carroll, August, 1863 ; discharged with regiment July,
Buckley, September, 1863.
Peter McNana, September, 1863.
Patrick Markey, September, 1863.
Charles Costello, September, 1863.
Michael Cunningham, September, 1863.
James Ratlin, September, 1863.
June Alexander, September, 1863.
1865.
Daniel
with regiment.
Martin P.
Oliver, September 3, 1862.
Travis, September 3, 1864.
Chas. Tibbalds, September 3, 1864.
Clark Van Slyck, September 6, 1864.
Jeremiah Chrisler, September 6, 1864.
Peter Kinsley, September 5, 1864 ; discharged June, 1865.
Daniel Mullen, fifer, September 5, 1864 ; transferred to Fifteenth Engineers.
Thomas Martin, September 5, 1864.
William Lewis, January 13, 1864.
James J. Demond, January 13, 1864.
George R. Halsey, February 15, 1864.
John A. Sibbalds, private, February 4, 1862 ; promoted Sergeant March 4,
1862 ; Second Lieutenant December 27, 1862 ; First Lieutenant September 1,
Samuel
:
FIRST CAVALRY.
Willliam H.
promoted
First
Beach, Sergeant, May 12, 1861 ; re-enlisted January 1, 1864 ;
Lieutenant January 20, 1865 ; discharged June 25, 1865.
ONE HUNDRED AND NINETY-THIRD INFANTRY.
David
Barron, enlisted February 15, 1865, private.
Patten, February 15, 1865.
John Kinney, February 15, 1865.
Cornelius Sullivan, February 15, 1865.
Henry C. Plumb, February 16, 1865.
Americus D. Buck, February 21, 1865.
Louis P. Chapman, February 22, 1865.
Edward McMullen, February 24, 1865.
Joseph Welt, February 24, 1865.
Herschel W. Howland, February 28, 1865.
John Brown, February 28, 1865.
George Bell, February 28, 1865.
George D. Manchester, March 1, 1865.
Edward Story, March 16, 1865.
Harlow W, Bowen, March 14, 1865.
William L.