the PDF: War Memorials of Falkirk`s Churches
A SILENT YET SPEAKING WITNESS
War Memorials in churches, schools,
works and other public buildings
In 2014 and for the following five years we will be commemorating the events associated with the
First World War. The ramifications of the war were immense and are still reflected in modern
society. There are still tangible physical markers to the devastation reaped on the population of the
Falkirk district – memorials that were designed to remind us of the cost in human lives and suffering.
War memorials were erected in every town and village in prominent, often tranquil, locations. These
form the focus of communal remembrance.
The men and women who served during the war were often members of smaller close-knit groups,
such as churches, clubs or works. These too were concerned to preserve the memory of the
contribution made to the great fight for liberty and freedom. The memorials tend to be smaller in
scale, and offer a greater diversity in form. They range from bronze or stone plaques, to iron gates,
stained glass windows, beds in hospitals, paper scrolls, books and furniture such as tables. They are
generally less accessible than the village memorials and so we hope that by bringing them together in
this inventory we can highlight their role in the community’s expiation of the horrors of war. Second
World War memorials have been included as part of the same project.
The work of collecting and collating the information is being undertaken by Geoff Bailey, Keeper of
Archaeology & Local History, based in Callendar House. At this stage it is a “work in progress” and
we would welcome help from the public. If you are able to contribute to the material we would be
pleased to hear from you – contact [email protected]
We have also been in touch with groups, such as Falkirk Old and St Modan’s Church, and Larbert
Church, who are compiling information about the people on these memorials. This is a lengthy
process and may take several years. The individuals listed on the memorials were not just names and
so we hope to be able to incorporate this additional information into the records over the coming
The website will be updated at regular intervals to keep everyone informed of the progress of the
The inventory has been laid out more or less according to the old parishes, that is:
Bo’ness – Carriden Parish Church, St Andrew’s Church, Bo’ness Old Church, Craigmailen Church
Bothkennar – Bothkennar Parish Church,
Denny – St Alexander’s Church, Dunipace Parish Church, Dunipace UF Church, Bonnybridge Parish
Church, Carrongrove Paper mill.
Falkirk – Falkirk Old & St Modan’s, Christ Church, EU Church, Grahams Rd Church, Falkirk West
Church, Erskine Church, St James Church, Irving Church (& St John’s Camelon), Falkirk Masonic
Temple, Falkirk Infirmary, Falkirk High School, Falkirk Iron Works, Laurieston School, St Andrew’s
Church, Carmuirs merchant Navy, etc
Grangemouth – Kerse Church, Grangemouth West Church, Charing cross Church, Muirhead’s
Woodyard, Grangemouth Rachabite Hall
Larbert – Larbert parish Church, Stenhouse Parish Church, Carron Church, Tryst Golf Club
Polmont – Polmont Old Church, Wallacestone Methodist Church, Redding Church
Slamannan – Heroes’ Park
Red lettering reflects work still to be done or checked.
The "Ode of Remembrance" is taken from Laurence Binyon’s poem, "For the Fallen", which was
first published in The Times in September 1914. The poem honoured the British war dead of that
time, and in particular the British Expeditionary Force, which by then already had high casualty rates
on the developing Western Front. The poem was published when the Battle of the Marne was
foremost in people's minds. Over time, the third and fourth stanzas of the poem (although often just
the fourth) were claimed as a tribute to all casualties of war, regardless of state.
They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England’s foam
Carriden Parish Church (SMR287)
A white marble plaque with raised centre and brass
ovolo frame. It rests on an oak shelf on the wall of the
north aisle. There is a wooden panel between it and the
shelf bearing a stanza from Binyon’s Ode of
Remembrance: “THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD, AS
WE THAT ARE LEFT GROW OLD:/ AGE SHALL
NOT WEARY THEM, NOR THE YEARS
CONDEMN./ AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN
AND IN THE MORNING,/ WE WILL REMEMBER
THEM.” The upper section of the marble plaque has a
colourful central panel depicting St George slaying the
dragon. To the left of this is a small bronze plaque with
“IHS” and to the right “AΩ”. Below these in gold
lettering is “+ TO THE GLORY OF GOD + IN/
MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES
IN THE GREAT/ WAR + MCMXIV – MCMXVIII.”
Finally there is a large bronze panel bearing the names of
There are two stained glass memorial
windows from the Second World War.
Beside these a small brass-plated plaque
reads “THESE MEMORIAL WINDOWS
ARE ERECTED/ TO THE GLORY OF
GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THOSE
WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ IN THE
WORLD WAR MCMXXXIX –
[three columns of names].
(1) The baby Jesus is shown in a manger in
the stable with Mary kneeling in prayer to the
right and Joseph standing carrying a staff.
Three shepherds descend the hill in the
background with two winged angels above
and a star at the top with the word “Alpha”.
At the bottom of the widow it reads “To the
Glory/ of God”. This window was erected by
Rev. William Dundas for his wife Harriet and
infant daughter May.
(2) Red-robed Jesus ascending with a winged angel behind. Three disciples look up from the
foreground with an open book on the bottom right. Above all is the word “Omega”.
St Andrew’s Church (SMR296)
The war memorial at St Andrew’s takes the form of a stained glass window set in the north gable.
This is a large 5-light window over the gallery. The central light is the widest and shares the same
scene as those immediately to either side depicting a seated Christ on a small grassy knoll with
children at his feet and people around the sides. He is dressed in a red robe with his left armed raised.
This represents the Sermon on the Mount and amongst the listeners is a Roman soldier. The left-hand
light has a pointed arch and shows a man in blue robes beside a diagonal wooden cross, he has a book
in his left hand and his head is haloed. His name is written below “S. Andrew” together with his
symbol of the red lion. The right-hand light contains a saint in plate armour and a yellow skirt, a
sword in his right hand, identified as “Michael” with weighing scales. The small tracery openings at
the top of the window have, from left to right – alpha; a thistle; the red lion rampant of Scotland on
the yellow background; a unicorn facing right; a crown over a helm over the Scottish shield; a unicorn
facing left; the Scottish saltire flag; a thistle; omega.
Towards the bottom is a panel with “Greater love hath no man than this
ROBERT N BROWN.
ROBERT W DOTT.
SAMUEL C MCGREGOR.
JAMES M RHYNAS.
JOHN E.K. M MACKAY.
ALEXANDER VALENTINE. THOMAS MCLAREN.
WILLIAM C GRANT.
JOSIAH B. WEST.
ALEXANDER M.B. HARLEY. JAMES CLARK.
RICHARD W. HAMILTON.
In memory of members and adherents of this congregation who gave their lives in the great war.”
The Falkirk Herald report of 2 August 1919 suggests that this window was made by Oscar Paterson &
Co, 216 Bath Street, Glasgow, at a cost of £299. It was unveiled on 16 October 1920 with ministers
Barnett, Falconer and Alexander officiating.
After the Second World War a loudspeaker/amplifier system was installed to replace the church bell
as a memorial to those members of the congregation who had died in that conflict. In addition a
bronze plaque with the names of those killed in both wars was commissioned – 28 in the Great War
and 8 in the Second. This is now on one of the columns of the chancel arch. It is a modern upright
rectangular oak panel with cut corners and arched top containing the bronze plaque. The arch is
decorated with thistles and a saltire. Carved on the wooden frame is “TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ IN
GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEMBERS AND ADHERENTS/ OF THIS CONGREGATION/
WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE/ IN TWO WARS”. The names then appear on the brass
panel. The first section is headed “1914-1918/ NORTH
WINDOW” and repeats the names given above. The second
section is “1939-1945/ CHIMING INSTALLATION/
ANDREW LAPSLEY/ WM. HASTINGS/ T.G. LEISHMAN/
R. NELSON/ ANDREW R. GRAY/ JOHN GRANT/
WILLIAM E. FOOT”
There are also two rolls
of honour for the men
and women of the
served in the wars.
Both hang on the east
wall. That for the First
World War is in a plain
wooden frame and the
word “killed” has been
added in red ink next to
those who died. That
for the Second World War includes a panel for those killed.
This is a colourful piece of paper set in a simple wooden
frame, the top of which is fretted with a saltire set in a shield.
It was the work of David Clark, the session clerk.
Bo’ness Old Parish Church (SMR284)
The war memorial in this church takes the form of stained glass windows. Those for the First World
War are in the east aisle:
(1) A knight (St George) in plate armour with chain mail detailing holds an upright lance in his right
hand and an elongated triangular shield bearing the cross of St George in his left. He has a blue cloak
and yellow locks of hair protrude from under his helm. The lance rests on brown earth studded with
plants. A purple-winged angle looks down from above with a ribbon bearing the words “PUT ON
THE WHOLE ARMOUR OF GOD”. The scroll at the foot reads “TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND
IN MEMORY/ OF THOSE CONNECTED WITH THIS CHURCH/ WHO HAVE FALLEN IN THE
(2) The knight of (3) is seen getting up off his back with his left hand pushing against the earth and
his right raised for assistance. He is bathed in a bright light that has given a pale blue hue to the
armour and greyed his hair. This light emanates from a pink-winged angel, who stand above him with
a laurel wreath in its left hand and its right hand stretched towards that of the knight. Above the
angel is a ribbon “BE THOU FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH AND/ I WILL GIVE THEE A CROWN
OF LIFE”. Below the knight his sword lies on the earth and a scroll reads “THESE WINDOWS
ARE PLACE HERE/ BY THE CONGREGATION AND FRIENDS”
Those for the Second World War are in the west aisle:
(3) An airman dressed in thick boots, gloves, helmet, goggles, etc, stands in front of his aeroplane
with a piece of paper in his left hand. Searchlight beams intersect the blue sky behind and stars dot
the upper area. Above and surrounding his head is the winged logo of the RAF with a roundel
bearing the Latin motto “PER AR DUA AD ATRA”. At his feet are the words (carried over from (4)
“THEY/ WERE/ STRONGER/ THAN/ LIONS/ OF THE ROYAL/ AIR FORCE AND THE/
AIRMEN OF THIS/ PARISH & CONGREGATION/”.
(4) St George stands with a pink-bladed sword in his right hand and an upright spear in his left. He is
wearing plate armour and a white robe sporting Christian crosses. At his feet is an abject green
dragon and to either side of his shoulders a white eagle, with prominent yellow beaks, swoops down.
Above him is a heraldic lion. His feet rest on a roundel containing a flying plane caught in the beams
of searchlights. An interlaced ribbon reads “THEY WERE/ SWIFTER THAN/ EAGLES” and
continues “TO THE GLORY/ OF GOD AND/ A TRIBUTE TO/ THE VALOUR”.
An oak cupboard/altar with sliding front doors stands against the east wall. The central door contains
two rectangular brass plaques. Carved in the wood is “IN MEMORY OF THOSE/ MEMBERS AND
ADHERENTS/ OF THIS CONGREGATION/ WHO GACE THEIR LIVES/ 1939/ 1945/ AD
MAJORUM DEI GLORIUM”. The plaques have the names:
HENRY MCE ANDERSON
JAMES M BRECHIN
PETER JAMES INNES
JAMES G MURRAY
PETER MCL PARK
WILLIAM M SCULLION
WILLIAM G STEWART
Craigmailen Church (SMR294)
A rectangular brass plaque attached to the east wall: “1939 1945/
SURGEON LIEUT. ROBERT TROUP RNVR/ CAPTAIN
WILLIAM BELL INDIAN ARMY/ L/CPL. ALEX. DEAS
ROYAL ENGINEERS/ PTE. DAVID BOWIE BELL ROYAL
SCOTS/ PTE. NEIL LIVINGSTONE CAMERONIANS/ F/O.
JAMES ALAN ROBERTSON RAF/ IN REMEMBRANCE”
Bothkennar Parish Church (SMR253)
The memorial is placed in the wall to the west of the pulpit and takes the form of a large rectangular
brass plate let into a broad corniced oak frame. The lettering and decoration on the brass is inlaid in
black. The border is a simple geometric Celtic interlace. At the top is an angelic figure holding a
laurel wreath, and below “TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF THE
MEN/ OF THIS PARISH AND CONGREGATION/ WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE/”.
Beneath the names are the words in red – “DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI.”
The names number forty, and are as follows:JAMES ADAMSON
ALEXANDER BAIRD K.O.S.B.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
The memorial was unveiled by Rev. Mr Farish
in October 1920, the congregation rising to its
feet and remaining standing for the space of
one minute, ex-Servicemen standing to
attention. It was viewed after the service by
the relatives of the fallen.
St Alexander’s Church (SMR1467)
The memorials in St Alexander’s Church take the form of an altar and three stained glass windows.
The altar was designed by Mr J. Menart, Glasgow, using Belgian, Serbian, and Italian marble. From
the base to the highest point it measures 17 feet, while the maximum breadth is 10 feet. The marble
was brought in sections from Belgium and fitting into position under Charles Stirling, assisted by
several willing helpers from the congregation. At the altar rails, on the gospel side, is a marble slab
containing the names, thirty-five in all of the young men of the congregation who were killed or died
on service in the war. The names are as follows:Arthur Grant, Patrick NcNeil, Lawrence Hannan, Patrick Murphy, Frank Mitchell, John Coyle, Joseph
Coyle, Charles A. Hamill, Joseph McNeil, Thomas Conroy, Edward O'Hanlon, John McCulloch, John
McGeachie, Patrick Sweeney, John McCann, Patrick Collins, Owen Boyle, James Boyle, Michael
Murray, Dennis Curran, Wm. Brophy, John Mullen, Henry Madden, Michael McVicar, Jas. Kelly,
Patrick McGrorty, James Coyle, James Dunnigan, John Higgins, Felix MClaughlan, Edward Sinclair,
John McGlade, Patrick McAteer, Christopher Scally, William Cannon.
At the top and foot of the slab are suitable inscriptions, the whole being cut out in gold lettering. At
the opposite side of the altar rails is another marble slab, similar in design, on which is given the
deceased pastors of the congregation of the parish, as follows:Rev. John McDonald, died 29th January 1866, age 52; Right Rev. Mgr. Robert Clapperton, died 26th
September, 1906, age 75; Rev. Peter Ward; Very Rev. Wm. Canon O'Neill. died 8th September 1908,
age 57; Very Rev. Jos. Canon Hannan, died 27th May 1903, aged 52; Very Rev. Ptk. Canon Shivers,
died 12th October 1916, age 59.
The three new stained glass windows are a tribute from the children of the congregation. Two of
these windows are Gothic, one on each side of the altar, showing St Alexander and St Patrick
respectively. The third is circular, depicting the crucifixion, and it has been artistically worked into
the design of the altar. It is understood that the total cost of the memorials exceeds £1000.
The altar was unveiled in August 1921 and dedicated by Father Giles. The choir gave a rendering of
the Mass of St Cecilia.
Denny Parish Church
A white marble plaque set in a
relatively plain and pure veined
frame with slight pediment and
chamfered sides. This is fixed to the
wall in the entrance lobby opposite to
the main doors.
“TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND
IN AFFECTIONATE MEMORY OF
THE MEN OF THIS/
CONGREGATION WHO FELL IN
THE GREAT WAR, 1914-19./
LIEUT. A.M. NEISH M.C., A.&S.H.
PTE. J. BLAIKIE
SIGR. C. BENNIE
PTE. J. CLEMENT
SGT. R. HILLHOUSE, MAC. GUN CORPS.
PTE. W. BAIL
STAFF SGT, R.A. LOCHHEAD, R.F.A.
CPL. J. F. KAY, R.F.A.
“ P. CLEMENT
G.CUMMING, ROYAL HLDS.
“ A. LORIMER
PTE. A. LORIMER
“ J. Mc. L. NELSON
L.CPL. J. NEILSON, R.MUN.FUS.
“ A. NEILSON
H.M. L.I. BRYSON, ROYAL NAVY
PTE. J. FORFAR, CAM. HLDS
H.M. G.D. LOCHHEAD “
H. WALKER - A.B. A. MACKENZIE
D. HALKETT, COLD. GDS
PTE. C. HERMISTON, ROYAL SCOTS
J. SCOTT, EAST. LANCS.
R. SMITH “
J. DONALDSON, GORD. HLDS.
CPL. A. WATTERS
PTE. T. SCOTT, R. WEST KENTS
J. DYER, SEA. HLDS.
D. DONALDSON “
T. SMITH “
D. ANDERSON, GREN. GDS.
A. MARSHALL, SCOTS GDS.
“IN THE SIGHT OF THE UNWISE THEY SEEMED TO DIE BUT/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR
Dunipace Parish Church (Denovan) (SMR1751)
In commemoration of the fifty-five men of the parish of
Dunipace who fell in the war, the Celtic Cross erected near
the main gateway to Dunipace Parish Church was unveiled
and dedicated in July 1921. When the congregation first
considered the erection of a memorial, it was intended only
for members of the church who made the supreme sacrifice,
but later it was decided to include the men of the parish
irrespective of creed or denomination.
Designed by Mr. P. McGregor Chalmers, LL.D., Glasgow,
and executed by Messrs Wm. Roberts and Son, sculptors,
Falkirk, the cross is of Creetown stone, and the cairn is of
whinstone from Northfield Quarry. Set in the cairn is a
bronze plaque, the work of the Carron Company, containing
the names of the men and their regiments, arranged
alphabetically. Sitting amidst the sylvan surroundings of the
ancient church, the whole formed an impressive tribute to
the glorious dead. It was moved to Dunipace UF Church
The service in the church was conducted by Rev. John
Fairley, assisted by Rev. C.I. Jeans, at the conclusion of which the unveiling ceremony was performed
by the Duke of Montrose by lifting the Bible which held in position the large Union Jack that covered
the names. The silence that followed the falling of the flag was broken by the playing of the
"Lament" by Pipe Major Esplin, and the sounding of the "Last Post" by MR. W. Mcalls. The
inscription on the bronze plate of the memorial is as follows: "To the glory of God and in loving
memory of the men who gave their lives in the Great War" and below are the words: "Their name
liveth for evermore". The following are the names and regiments of the men whose names appear on
the memorial:A. and S.H. - Johnathon Baird, William Baird, George Brock, David Crawford, John Cunningham,
James Easton, William Gillespie, William Keddie, James McArthur, Alexander McEwan, John
McGlade, Archibald McKenzie, John Park, Leonard Planner, James Sharp, Daniel Smith, James
Thomson, John Tunstall, Henry Turnbull.
Cameron Highlanders - William Dewar, James Forfar, Robert Thursby.
Dorsets - Alexander Smith, Daniel Tennant.
Gordon Highlanders - James Cunningham, William Gillespie, David Paterson.
Highland Light Infantry - James Blair, Harry Harris, William Reid, Thomas Tough.
Irish Guards - Patrick McGrorty.
Northumberland Fusiliers - Duncan Busby, James Comrie.
Royal Engineers - Robert Gillespie.
Royal Garrison Artillery - William Ashwwod.
Royal Highlanders - Thomas Allan, James Fergus, Peter Hannay, Maxwell Reid.
Royal Irish Rifles - Patrick McAteer.
Royal Navy - William Quinn.
Royal Naval Division - Arthur Reid.
Royal Scots - Thomas Hogg, David Johnston, Henry Madden, Richard McKay, Robert Penman.
Royal Scots Fusiliers - Samuel Kerr.
Royal W. Kents - James Kelly, Peter McDonald, Michael McVicar.
Seaforth Highlanders - Charles Burns, John Johnstone, William Martin."
Dunipace UF Church (SMR1605)
The war memorial erected to perpetuate the memory of those men of the congregation who fell in the
Great War was unveiled and dedicated by the Rev. Dr. Ewing, M.C., Edinburgh, in September 1921.
The names of the men were read: Thomas R. Allan, George Anderson, David Anderson, William
Ashwood, Thomas F. Bedford, Robert Cameron, Albert Scott, Alex. Smith, David Crawford, William
M. Dewar, William Durham, William H, Gillespie, Walker Herd, Samuel Kerr, Richard R. McKay,
Arch. W. McKenzie, William Martin, John Park, Robert Penman, James Thomson, and Henry
Turnbull.” The congregation stood when the names were being read and remained standing during
the unveiling ceremony.
The memorial, erected in the vestibule immediately facing the main door, takes the form of a mural
tablet in bronze, designed and executed by Messrs Tonks and Co., of Birmingham. At the top of the
tablet are the years 1914 and 1918, whilst between the years is a laurel wreath. At the foot are the
words “Greater love hath no man than this.” The centre of the tablet contains the list of the fallen.
Denny West Church (SMR1124)
A brass plaque with
plain line borders
rosettes. It is set
onto a veined white
marble mount. The
central panel has a
background and two
sprigs of laurel at the
top with “1914” and
“1919” to either
side. Below this are
the words “TO THE
GLORY OF GOD/
GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN/ FROM THIS CHURCH WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT
PETER C. DURWARD M.M.
ALLAN C. KERR
WILLIAM MARSHALL JOHN SCOBIE
WILLIAM MITCHELL WILLIAM WRIGHT
Below this is a small rectangular plaque with leaf terminals and ribbons containing the dates “1939”
and “1945”. There are two names in the panel:
Broompark Church (SMR)
The monument from Broompark Church is now in Westpark between two window lights on the wall
separating the nave and the vestibule. For this installation the backing plaque had to be reduced
slightly in size. It is of white marble with black lettering, and has a square central panel with an
upright rectangular panel to either side.
The central one reads: “TO THE GLORY OF GOD, AND IN/ UNFADING MEMORY OF THE
MEN OF THIS/ CONGREGATION WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR. 19141919./ A.C.CHALMERS./ JAMES FERGUS/ THOMAS HOGG./ ANDREW KERR./ GEORGE KERR./
THOMAS KERR./ CHARLES C. LAMBERT./ JAMES MITCHELL./ JOHN S. NISBET./ JAMES
THOMSON./ ROBERT WHYTE./ JOHN WILLIAMSON ./ “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN
THIS, THAT/ A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.”
The left hand panel: “IN HONOUR, ALSO OF/ THOSE WHO SERVED/ DAVID ADAM./ JOHN
ADAM./ CHARLES ALEXANDER./ WM. ANDERSON./ JAMES BAILLIE./ W M. BAILLIE./ R.J. BAILLIE./
HUGH BAXTER./ JAMES BAXTER./ JOHN BAXTER./ W.E.C. BROWN./ JOHN COUSLAND./ HUGH
CRAIG./ ALEX. CRAMB./ JAMES DELANEY./ GEORGE DRUMMOND./ JAMES EARL./ JAMES
FERGUSON./ WM. FERGUSON.”
The right panel: “IN HONOUR, ALSO OF/ THOSE WHO SERVED/ PETER FERGUSON./ WM.
GIBSON./ JOHN GRAY./ JAMES HAUGH./ JAMES HEPBURN./ W M. HOWIE./ PETER KEMP./ ALEX.
KERR./ CHARLES LAIRD./ WM. LAIRD./ JAMES NISBET./ GEORGE SMITH./ J. GRAHAM STARK./
PETER WESTWATER./ ROBERT WESTWATER./ FRANCIS WHYTE./ ALEX. WILLIAMSON.”
A second monument was erected
after the Second World War and is
now re-erected at the south-west end
of the nave in Westpark Church. It
takes the form of a large wooden
tablet with panelled Ionic pilasters
below a deep cornice. The panel in
the centre is topped by a carved
wooden wreath and has the words:
“TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND
IN EVERLASTING MEMORY OF
HAUGH/ ANDREW R HEPBURN/
MILLAR/ WHO GAVE THEIR
LIVES INTHE WORLD WAR/ 1939-1945”. Along the bottom is the additional line “AT THE
GOING DOWN OF THE SUN WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM”.
Bonnybridge Parish Church (SMR778)
Bonnybridge Parish Church currently has two sets of plaques for the First and Second World Wars in
its vestibule. Those on the right (east) are from St Helen’s Church in High Bonnybridge where the
First World War plaque was erected in 1935 The equivalent plaque for the parish church was
unveiled in 1920, with the Second World War memorial added in 1960..
A rectangular phosphor-bronze plaque: “TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ SACRED TO THE MEMORY
OF THE FOLLOWING/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR US/ DURING THE SECOND WORLD
GEORGE IRVINE HANSON
COLIN MCNAB WEIR
Their name Liveth Evermore
Another larger rectangular phosphor-bronze plaque with art nouvou borders.
“ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION
AB J FERGUSON
AB J GRAY
ROYAL SCOTS FUSILIERS
PTE J MACKAY
ROYAL MARINE LIGHT INFANTRY
PTE J HUXTABLE
PTE W KIRK
SAPPER O EVANS
PTE A MACKAY
ARGYLL & SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS PTE J PORTEOUS
ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY
L/CPL A CRUSE
PTE P SINCALIR
DRIVER D HOLMES
PTE A LOW
PTE J LOW
GORDON HIGHLANDERS WEST YORKSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY
PTE J MCAINSH
PTE J BRODIE
PE J FAWCETT
PTE M MACKAY
PTE S MCPHERSON
CSM C MONRO
PTE WT SMITH
NEW ZEALAND CONTINGENT
PTE A RUTHERORD
PTE J KIRKLAND
PTE J SEATON
KING’S OWN SCOTTISH BORDERERS
CPL J YOUNG
PTE A MCGILLIVRAY
PTE T YOUNG
L/CPL J MINFORD
PNR J MCKIM
DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI”
A rectangular plaque of polished brass mounted on marble. In the two top corners are laurel wreaths,
and there are Maltese crosses in the lower ones. A roundel at the top centre shows a burning bush. It
is attached to a rectangular white marble plaque veined with pink.
“1914 1919/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN EVER GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE MEN
AND LADS OF THIS CHURCH WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR FREEDOM AND HUMANITY
IN THE GREAT WAR/
PTE ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS
PTE ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
PTE ROYAL WEST KENTS
PTE ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS
PTE ROYAL SCOTS
SGT ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS
L/CPL GORDON HIGHLANDERS
JOHN G GILLESPIE
PTE 9TH HLI
SAPPER ROYAL ENGINEERS
PTE ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
PTE ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
SGT ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
JAMES JOSS MM
PTE ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
PTE ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
PTE 11TH HERTFORDHIRE REGT
PTE ROYAL SCOTTS
PTE ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
SEAMAN HMS POWERFUL
JOHN MCCALLUM MM
CPL ROYAL WEST KENTS
PTE SCOTS GUARDS
PTE ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
WILLIAM WATSON MM
CPL ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
L/CPL ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
L/CPL ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
SGT 12TH HLI
NATHANAEL F REID
PTE ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
PTE SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS
PTE ROYAL WEST KENTS
PTE ARGYLL SUTHERLAND HIGHRS
PTE CAMERON HIGHLANDERS
PTE 18TH HLI
“THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”
The memorial tablet was unveiled by Rev James Steel, the retired minister of the parish, and
dedicated by Rev Duncan McCorkindale in April 1921. Following the address there was a silence,
while Piper A. McNeilage played the lament, “Lochaber no More.” and Bugler E. Wardrop sounded
the “Last Post”. The service was brought to a close with the singing of hymn 339 – “For all the
Saints” – the National Anthem, and the Benediction.
Below this is a second brass plaque with laurel leaves at either end with the dates 1939 and 1945.
“ALSO IN THE SECOND WORLD-WAR
SERGT RAF VR
ALASTAIR RS RITCHIE
O/CD ROYAL NAVY
JOHN MCI ANDERSON
FLIGHT ENGINEER RAF
LES 25B ROYAL NAVY
Carrongrove Papermill (SMR1189)
The brass plaque used to stand on the east wall in the entrance
porch to Carronglen House, which was the main administration
block for the paper mill. There is a wreath at the top and the
busts of the king and queen occur at the base. A crown, swags
and leaf fronds are used as decoration.
“PRO/ PATRIA/ 1914 [monogram for CGP Co Ltd] 1918/ TO
THE ETERNAL MEMORY/ AND PERPETUAL GLORY/ OF
THE MEN FROM/ CARRONGROVE PAPER Co Ltd/ WHO
FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/
SG CPL THOMAS ALLAN
PTE JAMES DRYSDALE
PTE JAMES BRODIE
LIEUT WM McD. FARMER
DVR WILLIAM BROPHY
PTE JAMES FERGUS
CPL ABRAHAM BROWN
PTE WILLIAM GILLESPIE
PTE JOHN CUNNINGHAM
PTE DAVID HALKETT
PTE DAVID DONALDSON
PTE JAMES LAWERANCE
PTE JAMES DONALDSON
PTE JAMES MILLER
CHIEF ENGR ERNEST R WHYTE RNAS
PTE HENRY McKENZIE
PTE ARCHD McKENZIE
SERGT JAMES RAE
L/CPL JOHN ROBERTSON
PTE THOMAS SCOTT
PTE HENRY WALKER
SERGT JOHN WILLIAMSON
ALSO IN HONOUR OF THOSE WHO SERVED
LIEUT H.R.P. ADAM
AIR MECH DANIEL ADAM
PTE JAMES AINSLIE
PTE CHARLES ALEXANDER
L CPL JAMES ALLAN
PTE JOHN ALLAN
PTE HENRY ARNOTT
SERGT WILLIAM BLAIKIE
PTE THOMAS BRADBURY
PTE JOSEPH BRADBURY
PTE JOHN BRODIE
PTE ROBERT BRODIE
AB JAMES BUCHANAN
PTE JOHN COLLYER M.M.
PTE SAMUEL COLLYER
PTE JOSEPH COOK
GNR HUGH CRAIG
PTE JOHN DEWAR
GNR JOHN DRUMMOND
SERGT JAMES GOODSIR
CPL ALEXANDER GOODSIR
PTE WILLIAM P. GORDON
PTE MATTHEW GRAY
PTE ROBERT HAIR
PTE JOHN HAIR
COMS GEORGE HENDERSON
AB WILLIAM HERBURN
PTE ROBERT HUNTER
PTE ANDREW JARVIS
SERGT WILLIAM KAY
GNR ROBERT KAY M.M.
PTE GEORGE KAY
PTE WILLIAM KELLY
PIONEER WILLIAM KERR
PTE WILLIAM KERR
SAPPER WILLIAM KING
L CPL DAVID LAW
CAPT GEORGE McCROW
PTE JAMES McLUSKIE
TROOPER JOHN McMILLAN
PTE PATRICK MALDEN
PTE WILLIAM MEALES
PTE ROBERT MURRAY
PTE ROBERT NEWLANDS
SERGT GEORGE PATERSON
PTE JOHN PEDDIE
SERGT CHARLES W. PEEBLES
PTE GEORGE SCOTT
PTE WILLIAM SCOTT
PTE WILLIAM SHARP
AB JAMES SIMPSON
PTE GEORGE SKINNER
AB HUGH SMITH
PTE DAVID SNEDDON
GNR ADAM STANNERS
PTE DAVID STEVENSON
SERGT J STRACHAN DCM MM MSM
PTE JOHN DUNCAN
SIG JOSEPH DYER
OS ALEXANDER FISHER
PTE GEORGE FORSYTH
SERTG WILLIAM GAULD
L CPL ALFRED GAULD
PTE JOHN GAULD
PTE JAMES GAULD
PTE JOHN McGLINCHY
GNR JAMES McGRORY
SERGT FRANK McGUIRE
DVR ARCHIBALD McGURK
CPL JOHN McINTOSH
PTE JAMES McKENZIE
LDG SIG THOMAS McKINLEY
SERGT LEWIS STRACHAN
GNR HENRY STRACHAN
PTE HUGH THOMSON
PTE JOHN WHELTON
PTE LESLIE WYNESS
PTE JOHN WYNESS
PTE PETER WYNESS
DVR ANDREW WHITE”
It is intended to incorporate the plaque into a freestanding structure facing the road to Fintry.
Falkirk Old and St. Modan’s Parish Church
Falkirk Parish Church (SMR425)
The war memorial takes the form of a triumphal arch or
canopy over the door from the lobby to the main hall of the
church. It is of fine grained Blaxter sandstone which
contrasts with the plaster walls. There is much beading
with slightly art deco detailing. The individual bronze
letters over the door “1914-1919/ TO THE GLORY OF
GOD AND/ IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ THIS
CONGREGATION WHO/ FELL IN THE GREAT WAR”
are flanked in the supports by bronze laurel wreaths.
Below each of these are long vertical bronze panels with
the names of the fallen, to which small plaques have been
added on the pilaster bases. The oak panelled door has a
lattice-patterned leaded glass panel with a central laurel
wreath. The monument was designed by JG Callander,
architect, Falkirk, and the work was undertaken by Messrs
P McLauchlan, Larbert – stonework; Charles Henshaw,
Edinburgh – brasswork; McKay & Bain, Larbert –
2ND LT. JAMES COWAN MM
2ND LT. HORSBURGH GIBSON
2ND LT. R S MORRISON
CAPT. WILLIAM S O’MAY MC
LT. JOSEPH T PATON
CAPT. ELLIS G PITCAIRN
2ND LT. ROBERT S ROBERTSON
LT. FRANK W SAUNDERS
PTE WILLIAM AITKENHEAD
PTE WILLIAM ANDERSON
PTE ALEX ANNAND
PTE JAMES ARBUCKLE
DVR ALEX BAIRD
SPR DAVID BELL
PTE WILLIAM BENNIE
PTE GEORGE BENNIE
PTE WILLIAM G BLACK
FLT SGT D H P BLACK
LCE CPL WILSON B BOWLER
CPL JOHN BROWN
LCE CPL MATTHEW BROWN
PTE CHARLES BRYCE
PTE JAMES BRYCE
PTE CHARLES BRYCE
PTE JOHN BUCHANAN
PTE WILLIAM CHEEPE
PTE ALEX CHRISTIE
PTE JOHN DAVIDSON
PTE JOHN DOW
PTE ALEX EADIE
SGT ROBERT T FERNIE
GNR JAMES FRASER
PTE JOHN FRASER
PTE WILLIAM FRASER
PTE ANDREW GANLY
GNR MATTHEW H GRAHAM
PTE JAMES GRINDLAY
CPL ROBERT A HALL
PTE JAMES HALL
PTE HUGH HARE
PTE JAMES HARVEY
PTE ALEX HASTIE
PTE JAMES B HAY
PTE JOHN G HOTCHKISS
LCE CPL WILLIAM KIRK
LCE CPL FRED J MILNE
PTE MATTHEW McCALLUM
PTE JOHN McGILCHRIST
PTE DUNCAN McGREGOR
PTE ALEX B McINTYRE
PTE JAMES McKINLAY
PTE THOMAS McKINLAY
PTE DUNCAN MACLACHLAN
PTE JOHN McLEOD
PTE WALTER McLEOD
PTE WILLIAM McLEOD
SGT J.A. McLEOD
LCE CPL JOHN McPHIE
LCE CPL WILLIAM McPHIE
PTE CHARLES NAPIER
PTE ROBERT NAPIER
1ST AM JOHN NEILSON
PTE Wm B.G. NICOLL
CPL W.B. NOBLE
PTE DANIEL O’MAY
SIG SAMUEL POLLOCK
PTE ROBERT PROUDFOOT
PTE WILLIAM A REID
PTE PETER RITCHIE
PTE ALEX ROBB
SIG WILFRID ROBERTSON
PTE ANDREW RULE
PTE ALEX LEARMONTH
CPL ROBERT LEISHMAN
LCE CPL ROBERT LESLIE
PTE JAMES RUSSELL
PTE ANDREW SCOTT
PTE ROBERT SCOTT
PTE HENRY SMITH
PTE JAMES SPROUL
PTE DAVID STEWART
PTE JAMES TAYLOR
PTE HARRY TAYLOR
PTE WILLIAM TAYLOR
SGT WILLIAM TAYLOR
PTE LEWIS THOMSON
PTE ALEX WALKER
PTE JOHN WALKER
PTE WILLIAM WALKER
A.B. GEORGE WATSON RND
PTE JAMES WILSON
PTE JOHN YOUNG
Unveiled in April 1923 by General Sir Francis Davies K.C.B., K.C.M.G, K.C.V.O., accompanied by
his aide-de-camp, Lt M A J Malcolm, and Major Scott, officer-commanding, Stirling Castle. It had
been draped in the Union Jack.
A carved wooden table in the vestibule was dedicated at the re-opening of the church in August 1952
to the service men who lost their lives in the Second World War.
St Modan’s Church (SMR208)
The central window in the chancel apse was installed as a memorial to the men of the congregation
who gave their lives in the two world wars. It measures 8ft by 2ft 6ins and was executed by William
Wilson of Edinburgh, c1950, for a cost of c£225. The artist provided the following description:
“The subject of the proposed window is Christ the Redeemer, and shows the Figure of our Lord freed
from the Cross, symbolising His triumph over death. The green of the Cross suggests the Tree of Life
and rises from the Water of Life. Figures of the Martyrs, Saints Peter, Andrew, Catherine, Stephen
and Paul, surround the Cross in adoration. The symbol of the Pelican signifying Sacrifice completes
the design. The text is from Rev. V.,v.9.”
It was part of a ttriptych representing the Baptism, the Crucifixion and the Resurrection of our Lord.
The following annotation was supplied “This window is dedicated to the Glory of God and in memory
of the men of this church who fell in the two world wars 1914-1918 and 1939-1945. Also as a thank
offering for the preservation of those who by the Grace of God returned from the War”
Christ Church, Falkirk (SMR941)
The memorial in the south transept or Lady Chapel of the church is now in the form of an oak cabinet.
In the centre is a painted copy of Perugino’s Crucifixion, which was gifted in 1918 by a member of
the congregation as the original monument (and dedicated by the Bishop of Edinburgh in February
1918 - the first in the Falkirk district). Subsequently a tablet or screen was built around this and
completed in November 1920, paid for by Miss Wilson of South Bantaskine. On All Saints Days
“After the sermon by the rector, Rev. J.M. Ballard, the cross-bearer and choir proceeded to the
memorial, which was dedicated with prayer, and unveiled by the donor. The unveiling ceremony was
followed by the singing of the familiar hymn, “For all the saints.” There was a splendid turnout of the
congregation at the service, which was most impressive throughout."
“1914 IN MEMORIAM 1919”
On either side of the colourful painting the names of the dead appear on panels in gold lettering:
JOHN MCN. MCGREGOR
ARTHUR M. KENNARD
W. SCOTT MONCRIEFF
DONALD R FRASER
After the Second World War hinged S-arched oak leaves or doors were added to either end of the
screen. On the inside of these outer panels, above the dates 1939-45, more names were placed:
HUGH DE LANCEY SAMWELL
TOM SP INK
J CALDERWOOD ALLAN
For further information on the church contact: http://www.christchurchfalkirk.org.uk/
EU Church, Meeks Rd (SMR1466)
A large rectangular brass plaque is now in Falkirk Museum (1999-80-1). It was a simple reeded
border with flower-headed square panels at each corner. In the centre top are laurel sprigs tied with a
"1914 1919/ TO THE MEMORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE/ MEN
FROM THIS CHURCH WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR./
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE".
The plaque was made by Archibald Hamilton of Glasgow as is shown by a stamp on the side.
A large white marble plaque; rectangular with a central arched protrusion on the top; also in Falkirk
"TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF MEMBERS OF THIS/
CONGREGATION WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE/ SECOND GREAT WAR 1939-1945."
“PTE ARCHIBALD D AITKEN. PARACHUTE REGT (AIRBORNE)
PTE ROY SIMPSON. ARGYLL & SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS
SIGNALMAN GEORGE SANDERSON. ROYAL CORPS OF SIGNALS
GUNNER WILLIAM WILSON. ROYAL ARTILLERY
PTE JAMES McLACHLAN. ARGYLL & SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS
PTE CHARLES SMITH. NORTHUMBERLANDS
3RD RADIO OFFICER ANDREW NIMMO. MERCHANT NAVY
SEAMAN GEORGE LAPSLEY HANNAH. ROYAL NAVY
CPL ERIC ARCHIBALD. ROYAL ENGINEERS.”
Andrew Nimmo died on 15.9.1941 serving on the SS Empire Eland.
Grahams Rd Church (SMR1434)
A pipe organ was unveiled in March 1924 and dedicated to the memory of twenty-four men of the
congregation who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War. The unveiling ceremony was
performed by the Rev. Lieut-Colonel T. L. Beveridge, a former minister of the congregation. The
congregation remained standing in silent sympathy while he pulled the cord which operated the veil,
and revealed to those present the members’ tribute to the fallen. Before descending from the pulpit to
place a large laurel wreath on the keyboard of the organ, he said: “To the glory of God and in memory
of our comrades who have failed to answer the call, I unveil this, our memorial and our emblem of
thanksgiving.” The names on the roll were read out by Lieut. H.S. Sanderson, two members
responding as against the twenty-four who fell. The two members who were present and answered
the roll were Air Mechanic Wm. Howden, R.A.F., and Pte. Wm. Wright, R.A.M.C.
The memorial organ was erected at a cost of £1216. The woodwork was completed in oak, while the
pipes were silverised. The keyboard had 24 stops and six composition pedals, the organ itself being
described as a two manual and pedal instrument. Blown by an electric motor, the instrument was
installed by Messrs Ingram & Co., Edinburgh, to the specifications of Mr. D. Thomson, Mus. Bae,
The tablet bearing the names of the fallen was also in oak, situated in the centre of the pipes,
immediately above the pulpit. It was surmounted by a carved laurel wreath with the following
inscription: “To the glory of God and the memory of the men of this congregation who fell in the
Great War, 1914 – 1918.” The names of the twenty-four men and their respective regiments were
then set out in a single column, below which was the simple tribute, “Greater love hath no man than
this.” The following are the names of the fallen, comprising four officers, four no commissioned
officers and sixteen private soldiers:Captain Robert Lapsley Hannah, M.C., 12th H.L.I.
Sec.-Lieut. James Mellis, 5th G.H.
Sec.-Lieut. John Niven, R.F.A.
Sec.-Lieut. Kenneth James Niven, 11th A. & S. H.
Sergt. Quintin Wilson, 1st R.S.F.
L-Corpl. John Anderson, 1/5th G.D.
L-Corpl. Henry Wallace Maxwell, 401st R.E.
L-Corpl. John Prentice Sanderson, 2nd A. & S. H.
Pte. James Gaul, 7th A. & S. H.
Pte. Robert Lapsley Gibson, 12th A. & S.H.
Pte. David Marshall Hannah, 14th A. & S. H.
Pte. Thomas Hastings, 7th A. & S. H.
Pte. Richard Kidston, 9th R.S.
Pte. Peter Morton Kidston, 2nd R.H.
Pte. Robert Lawson, 1st A. & S. H.
Pte John Maxwell, 12th M.G.C.
Pte. Peter Miller, 2nd A. & S. H.
Pte. Alex. McIntyre, 1st R.S.F.
Pte. William Laing Russell, 17th H.L.I.
Pte. John Russell, 1st G.H.
Pte. Malcolm Sharpe, 7th A. & S. H.
Pte. James Taylor, 7th A. & S. H.
Pte. William Turnbull, 6th R.H.
Pte. Alex Wallace, 3rd R.H.
The church was demolished in 1989.
A separate bronze strip with leaf terminals containing the dates 1939 and 1945. "ALSO IN THE
SECOND WORLD WAR/ ALEXANDER W SUMMERS G/ McKELL J WHIGHAM GB/ WE
WILL REMEMBER THEM”. It is now in Falkirk Museum.
Falkirk West Church (SMR281)
The wall tablet to perpetuate the memory of the members of
the congregation who fell in the war was unveiled by Capt.
H.J. Kennard, R.N. of Kershill at the West U.F. Church in
It was of brass upon a white marble
background. Inscribed upon the plate, in black and red
letters, were the names of the fifteen men of the congregation
who made the supreme sacrifice.
The brass plaque was transferred to St Andrews Church and
is now fixed to the wall to the east of the organ (the marble
was disposed of). It is rectangular with an arched central
section. Within the arch crossed union flags are engraved
with the dates 1914 and 1919 to either side. Below is a
ribbon containing the words "TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN/ EVERLASTING REMEMBRANCE OF/ THE
MEN FROM THIS CONGREGATION WHO/ LAID
DOWN THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR”.
HENRY ANDREW, WILLIAM E. ARNOT, ROBERT
CAMPBELL, JAMES A. DAWSON, JOHN R.M. FERGUSON, ALEXANDER S. GREENHILL,
HENRY MUNDIE, JOHN A. RENNIE, JAMES M. SMELLIE, GRAHAME H. WADE, JAMES H.
WATSON, JOHN E. WAUGH, THOMAS WAUGH, WILLIAM M. WHYTOCK AND WILLIAM
At the foot of the tablet the following inscription appears:- "MAY WE IN FAITH AND HONOUR
KEEP THAT PEACE FOR WHICH THEY PAID."
The memorial was erected by Messrs W. Roberts and Son, sculptors, Falkirk.
After the Second World War a second brass plaque was installed,
also with an arched centre. It has a simple beaded border and
there is an interlaced Celtic Cross at the top.
“TO THE GLORY/ OF GOD/ IN LOVING MEMORY OF/
THOSE WHO FELL/ IN THE WORLD WAR/ 1939-1945/
PATRICK NIMMO/ RONALD ALEXANDER PHILP/
WILLIAM BAIRD FERNIE/ JAMES MANDERSON
ROBERTS/ DONALD MCINTOSH/ ROBERT MATHISEON
D.S.O., O.B.E., T.D./ ROBERT PATERSON D.C.M./
GEORGTE ROBERTSON NIMMO M.C./ JAMES RUSSELL
NIMMO D.S.O./ WILLIAM McGILL/ THOMAS WALLACE
CUNNINGHAM/ ROBERT HARLEY MATHIESON/ JAMES
PHILLIPS/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/
THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE/ FOR HIS FRIENDS"
Erskine Church (SMR1457)
A rectangular wall plaque made of composite stone. The border is of a plain black polished stone
overlain with a broad band of green Elterwater mottled stone. The whole is polished in an “eggshell”
finish. The border is enriched by a “reed and ribbon” moulding in bronze with seven reeds crossed by
a ribbon device. The main panel is of Hoptonwood stone (a variety of marble from Derbyshire) of a
fawn colour, with the inscription carved into it. The first word “THEY” is contained in a bronze
laurel wreath. The plaque is mounted on the north wall of the aisle a little forward of the west gallery
and was designed by Alex. Black, I.A., architect, Falkirk
“THEY/ WHOSE NAMES/ ARE SET FORTH BELOW/ LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING
AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/
PTE JOHN COWAN ARG AND SUTHD HIGHLANDERS
SERGT WILLIAM DICK ARG AND SUTHD HIGHLANDERS
PTE THOMAS HETHERINGTON SEAFORTH
PTE JAMES A LIDDELL CAMERON HIGHLANDERS
PTE WILLIAM MILLAN HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY
PTE HARRY BEGG ARG AND SUTHD HIGHLANDERS
PTE JOHN BROWN ARG AND SUTHD HIGHLANDERS
PTE JOHN HETHERINGTON HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY
PTE RICHARD LEISHMAN ROYAL WARWICKSHIRE REGT
PTE HENRY MEEK GORDON HIGHLANDERS
CPL ANDREW M MORRISON HIGHLAND LIGHT
PTE JAMES STEWART ARG AND SUTHD HIGHLANDERS
SAPPER JAMES WALKER ROYAL ENGINEERS
PTE WILLIAM FLEMING HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY
PTE JAMES HAY ROYAL ARMY SERVICE CORPS
L/CORPL WILLIAM KIRK GORDON HIGHLANDERS
SUB-LIEUT JAMES McCULLOCH ROYAL NAVAL
PTE CHARLES WYLIE ARG AND SUTHD HIGHLANDERS
PTE HUGH B WILSON KINGS OWN SCO BORDERERS
PTE THOMAS AITKEN ARG AND SUTHD HIGHLANDERS
L/CORPL JOHN BURNS SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS
GUNNER JAMES CRAWFORD THE TANK CORPS
GUNNER JAMES B GALBRAITH ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY
PTE JOHN KEMP THE ROYAL SCOTS
LIEUT ROBERT MORRISON MACHINE GUN CORPS
CAPTAIN JOHN NELSON SS DUVA
THEIR FELLOW MEMBERS OF THIS CONGREGATION/ HAVE ERECTED THIS
MEMORIAL/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD AS A THANKSGIVING/ THAT SUCH MEN WERE OF
In the vestibule of the church was an illuminated roll of honour bearing the names of all the members
of the congregation who served in the war, the work of W. Donaldson, Falkirk. Mrs Mungal, the
oldest member of the congregation, was accompanied by Miss Dunsmuir, the youngest child in the
Sabbath school, to perform the unveiling ceremony in May 1921. “As the huge Union Jack that had
obscured the memorial from view fluttered softly to one side, a tense hush fell upon the audience,
broken after a moment's pause by the opening noise of a pathetic lament on the bagpipes, played by
Pipe-Major McLaughlan, Camelon. During the playing the congregation remained standing with
bowed heads, and thereafter Mr. Dean gave the dedication prayer. Immediately after the benediction
a voluntary was played on the organ, the audience again paying tribute to the glorious dead by
standing solemnly the while…”
St James Church (SMR122)
Captain H. J. Kennard, R.N., of Kersehill House, unveiled a memorial to the men who fell in the form
of a beautiful carved tablet made of oak. The Rev. James Gillan, D.D., also unveiled and dedicated a
memorial communion table. The tablet consists of three panels encased in a solid oak frame. The
centre panel bears the figure of an angel – emblem of victory – while the two side panels contain the
names in gold gilt of the 20 men who gave their lives in the war. The tablet has also the words carved
– “More than conquerors through Christ” and above the names of the men the inscription – “To the
glory of God and in honoured memory of the men of this congregation who fell in the Great War –
1914 – 1919.” The communion table is of solid oak, the side panels of which have each carved stalks
of wheat and a cluster of grapes, while the one panel has the carved text – “I am the Bread of Life.”,
and the other, “I am the True Vine.” The centre panel of the tablet and the whole of the beautifully
carved work was executed as a gift to St James’ by Miss Helen Wilson of South Bantaskine. The oak
memorial tablet and the communion table were furnished by Messrs Graham and Morton, Falkirk.
Their work has also evoked much satisfaction.
At the unveiling in December 1921 the Roll Call was read by Mr. Robert Harvey, the guard of honour
being furnished by Messrs Hugh McNiven and William Lamont, all ex-servicemen, and wearing their
medals. The names of the twenty men inscribed on the tablet as follows:- John Archibald, Thos. S.
Abercrombie, Arch. Breingan, James Ferguson Brown, David M. Blain, Wm. Cameron, Isaac Dalziel,
John Downie, David Hay, Charles Laird, James McLellan, Walter McNie, Dundas Simpson
MacKnight, Wm. Napier, And. Nicol, Geo. Seaton, Alex Sellars, Thomas Sim, And. Spence, and
Irving Church (SMR1412)
St John’s Church (SMR955)
A plain rectangular brass plaque with a small cross engraved in a circle at the top left corner. The
sheer number of names, 265 in all, gives the memorial a quiet dignity. Originally in St John’s Parish
Church, it occupied the south-west corner of the church, at the end of the vestry aisle and was
mounted on a marble frame. It is now affixed to the wall fronting the east gallery in the Irving
After it was unveiled by Pte John Blackburn of the 1st Camelon Company Boys’ Brigade the names
on the memorial were read out by Rev Headrick. It was then dedicated by Rev Robert Agnew in
March 1924. It was gifted by the children of Camelon parish Church Sunday School.
“GIVING THANKS TO GOD FOR THE HONOURED MEMORY OF THE CAMELON/ MEN
WHO ENTERED INTO REST IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918/
JOHN W. BALLANTYNE
JOHN R. MUIRHEAD
J. MILLER ORR
WILLIAM J. ROSS
WE WHO LOVED AND HONOURED THEM HAVE DEDICATED THIS RECORD OF THE GALLANT
Rectangular brass plaque with a milled surface engraved with red and black lettering:
“TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ IN HONOURED MEMORY OF
THOSE MEMBERS/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN
DEFENCE OF FREEDOM/ 1939-1945/
IAN E.A. MUNDIE
ROBERT S. WARNER
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
“THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”.
A stained glass window was gifted to St John’s Church in 1924 by Miss BH Wilson of South
Bantaskine in memory of her nephew “George Cadenhead and the men of Camelon who fell in the
Great War.” It is of three lights and was designed by Meredith William of Edinburgh.
At the same time a new pulpit of fumed oak was installed, designed and carved by the donor, Miss
Helen Wilson, South Bantaskine, "in memory of George Cadenhead, May, 1915; Douglas Reid,
October 1917; and Bernard Tennent, August 1918, who gave their lives for God, King, and country."
Falkirk Masonic Temple (SMR2064)
The memorial is on the east wall of the main hall or Temple and consists of a rectangular brass plaque
set on a white marble surround. The sides of the surround are indented, as is the base where five
tassels are fixed to either end. The top has a central triangular pediment containing a brass ornament
showing a vertical arrow(?) with outstretched wings at the base, a square and compass in a heart in the
centre and a flaming terminal. The rectangular brass plaque has inset lettered and decorative panels.
The decoration includes the all-seeing eye, the Sun, the crescent moon and oak leaves. The lettering
reads: “+IN FATH+IN HOPE+IN CHARITY+/ SACRED TO THE/ MEMORY OF/ THE
BRETHREN OF LODGE/ CALLENDAR No 588, WHO/ FELL IN THE GREAT/
Falkirk Infirmary (SMR1565)
The memorial gates were gifted when the infirmary was still in Thornhill Road and were moved to the
new site in late 1931, appearing prominently in the photographs of the opening on 18 January 1932.
To the right of the main vehicular gate is a disused pedestrian gate bearing a phosphor-bronze plaque
in two segments. The upper reads “FALKIRK & DISTRICT/ INFIRMARY” and the lower “THESE
GATES ARE DEDICATED/ TO THE MEMORY OF/ FORMER PUPILS OF FALKIRK HIGH
SCHOOL/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918”.
The main gates are of cast iron of simple design with wrought iron leaf terminals.
The infirmary received many items during and after the war in
memory of individuals, societies and businesses. For the
victory commemorations the timber firm of Muirheads
appropriately gifted a 50ft wooden flagstaff. Beds were
endowed by the pupils of Falkirk High School.
Falkirk High School (SMR1133)
In March 1920 it was noted that some 546 former pupils of Falkirk High School had served in the
war. The names of those killed - numbering about 80 were published in the Falkirk Herald.
A large pedimented rectangular cast bronze plaque with arched centre set in a contrasting wooden
frame. This frame is a replacement for the original one of verte antique marble. The border has a
stylised laurel wreath with ribbons, terminating at the bottom left with a square containing a lion
rampant in a shield surrounded by a circular wreath and on the right by the similarly located British
ensign- representative of the Army and Navy. An oval panel at the top has the letter X above the
monogram FHS, with thistles to either side. The work was executed by Mr Charles Henshaw,
Edinburgh, under the supervision of Mr Robert Wilson, A.R.I.B.A., Falkirk.
“1914 1919/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THOSE FORMER/
PUPILS OF THIS SCHOOL WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/
ALEXANDER ABBOT L.CPL. SEAFORTHS
WILLIAM S. JOHNSTON LIEUT. A.&.S.H.
EDWARD WM. ANDERSON PTE. H.L.I.
JOHN KINNIBURGH PTE. H.L.I.
RONALD M. ANDERSON L.CPL. K.O.S.B.
WILLIAM KIRK L.CPL. GORDONS
ALEXANDER S. ANDREW PTE. C.E.F
JAMES S. LAMB PTE. CAMERONS
WALTER D. ANDREW SGT. E.AF.S.C.
EDWARD LAWLESS PTE. CAMERONS
WILLIAM E. ARNOT 3RD ENGR. H.M.T “LADOGA”
RICHARD A. LEISHMAN L.CPL. A&S.H.
DAVID H.P. BLACK F.SGT. R.A.F.
JOHN G. LIDDELL 2ND LT. R.A.F.
WILLIAM G. BLACK PTE. A.&S.H.
JAMES MACGREGOR 2ND LT. R. SCOTS
FRANK B BLACKMAN L.CPL. R.H.
ALAN F. MCARTHUR H.QS. R.F.A.
THOMAS BUNYAN CPL. H.L.I.
KENNETH MCDONALD LT. R.E ATT R.A.F.
JOHN A. CARMICHAEL PTE. R.SCOTS
WILLIAM MCDONALD L.CPL. SEAFORTHS
WILLIAM J. CHRISTIE L.CPL. SEAFORTHS
WILLIAM J.B. MCKENDRICK CPL. A.&S.H.
JOHN COCHRANE L.CPL. SEAFORTHS
WILLIAM MCPHIE L.CPL. SEAFORTHS
ROBERT S. DOBBIE SGT. R.A.F.
MATTHEW MARSHALL LIEUT. R. SCOTS
WM. FORBES FORSYTH 2ND LT. R. SCOTS
ALEXANDER MARTIN PTE. R.SCOTS
D. REGINALD FRASER SGT. CAMERONS
JOHN MARTIN 2ND ENGR. S.S. “GEO”
ANDREW B. GARDNER PTE R. FUS.
WILLIAM MILLAN PTE. H.L.I.
JAMES MCN. GARDNER TPR. DRAGOON GDS. DAVID H. MILLAR 2ND LT. R. SCOTS
JAMES GAUL PTE. A.&S.H.
FREDERICK J. MILNE L.CPL. GORDONS
CAMERON GILCHRIST PTE. R.H.
ANDREW M. MORRISON CPL. H.L.I.
J. GORDON GILLESPIE PTE H.L.I.
ROBERT MORRISON 2ND LT. M.G.C.
MATTHEW H. GRAHAM GNR. R.F.A.
ROBERT S. MORRISON 2ND LT. R.H.
CLEMENT P. HAGUE L.CPL. R.SCOTS
HENRY MUNDIE SGT. A.&S.H.
SYDNEY G. HAGUE CAPT. (M..C.) BEDFORDS ANDREW NICOL 2ND LT. K.O.S.B.
DAVID M. HANNAH PTE. A.&S.H.
JAMES C. NICOL L.CPL. C.E.F.
WILLIAM HARROWER SGT. R.E.
WILLIAM NICOLSON 2ND LT. R.S.F.
JOHN G. HOTCHKISS PTE CAMERONS
KENNETH J. NIVEN 2ND LT. A.&S.H.
ALEXANDER HUNTER 2 LT. LANCS. FUS.
WM. BALLOCH NOBLE CPL. R.H.
JOSPEH HUNTER PTE. H.L.I.
WILLIAM S. O’MAY CAPT. (M.C.) H.L.I.
ROBERT G. HUNTER LIEUT. A.&S.H.
G. DEAS PAGE SAPR. R.E.
GILBERT WILKIE L.CPL. SCOT. RIFS.
CHARLES WILSON PTE. R. SCOTS
JOHN WILSON CPL. SEAFORTHS
JOHN W.M. YOUNG PTE. R.H.
CHARLES G. PATRICK PTE. SEAFORTHS
JOHN D.B. RAE SAPR. CAN. ENGRS.
WM. ALEXANDER REID PTE. GORDONS
WM. LEONARD REID CAPT. DORSETS
GEORGE REID LIEUT. R.F.A.
JOHN A RENNIE 2ND LT. DEVONS
ROBERT RINTOUL PTE. S.A.F. SCOTS
WILFRED ROBERTSON PTE. A.&S.H.
W.J.J.ARMSTRONG P. ROSS SAPR. R.E.
HUGH M. RULE PTE. A.&S.H.
DAVID W. RUSSELL PTE R.S.F.
JAMES H. SCOTT PTE E. LANCS.
ANDREW B. SIMPSON PTE. R.A.M.C.
HAROLD J. SIMPSON PTE. C.E.F.
ROBERT STARK PTE. R. SCOTS
THOMAS STRANG SAPR. R.E.
JAMES TAYLOR CPL. GORDONS
PETER TAYLOR 2ND LT. SCOTS RIFS.
WILLIAM G. TAYLOR PTE A.&S.H.
THOMAS TOUCH PTE. H.L.I.
GEORGE URE SGT. H.L.I.
GEORGE K. WALKER PTE. SCOTS GDS.
JAMES WALKER SAPR. R.E.
JOHN WALKER SGT. R.E.
ROBERT K. WALKER SAPR. R.E.
JAMES H. WATSON CPL. A.I.F.
J. DOUGLAS D. WATT PTE. R. SCOTS
JOHN E. WAUGH L.CPL. A&S.H.
THOMAS WAUGH CPL. H.L.I.
WILLIAM WHYTOCK SGT. LEINSTERS
THEIR NAME LIVETH TO ALL GENERATIONS”
The plaque was unveiled in the hall of Falkirk High School in September 1921. The ceremony was
performed by the Rev. James Aitchison, senior minister of Erskine U.F. Church, Falkirk, who, as
chairman of the Falkirk Burgh School Board, was largely instrumental in the founding of the school.
He drew aside the Union Jack which had covered it, after which the "Last Post" was sounded, the
members of the gathering standing at attention during the roll call. The song "Heroes Departed" was
then rendered under Mr Love's leadership. W.B. Niven, president of the High School Club, then
asked Mr Wm. Brown, vice-president of the Stirlingshire Education Authority, to take over the care of
the memorial on behalf of the authority. In doing so, Mr Niven expressed the hope that the memorial
would serve as a source of inspiration to those who were associated with the school in future years.
The following Monday morning the whole of the children of the Primary and Secondary Schools were
mustered in the playground, and were thereafter marched slowly past the memorial. The boys paid
tribute to the memory of the former pupils by reverently saluting the memorial as they filed past.
Falkirk Iron Company (SMR700)
In February 1921 the Falkirk Iron Company opened Ashwood Convalescent Home in Ferntower
Road, Crieff, to be utilised as a house for invalid workers in the service of the company. This, both
management and the workforce believed, would be the finest type of memorial to commemorate the
sacrifice of the men connected with the works who fell in the Great War.
The Works already had a Benevolent Fund to make provision for ordinary cases of sickness and
accident. It had sufficient credit to cover the initial expense and the directors of the Company added a
contribution towards the cost of furnishing and maintenance. The Fund had previously sent
recuperating patients to Kilmun. Ashwood would be open all year round and was put under the
charge of a resident matron
Robert Kidston, general manager of the Company, unveiled a memorial tablet in bronze at the
building bearing the following inscription:
“Ashwood House – Purchased in 1920 by the Employees of the Falkirk Iron Company, as a
Convalescent Home, in remembrance of their fellow workmen who laid down their lives in the Great
The House is situated in the high part of Crieff, near the Hydropathic, in the shelter of the Knock. It
contained three public and seven bedrooms, and offices, in half an acre of ground.
Laurieston School (SMR1936)
The memorial tablet was erected at the head of the central stairway in the Laurieston Public School by
the staff and scholars in memory of the former pupils who fell in the great war, and in honour of those
who served and survived. It was unveiled by Lieut. Col. Alan Stein. M.C. in September 1920. The
tablet is of a simple design, being of brass, and mounted upon a marble slab. On it are inscribed the
names of 411 former pupils who enlisted and served. Of this number no fewer than 82 made the
supreme sacrifice. The names of the fallen are inscribed above the survivors, and are surmounted by
the following appropriate inscription.
“Laurieston School – Erected in grateful memory of the former pupils who fell in the Great War –
1914-1919. Also in honour of those who served.” The tablet is the work of Mr Arch. Hamilton, 70
Glassford Street, Glasgow.
As part of the proceedings relatives of eighty-two fallen heroes were presented with a photograph of
the tablet. It was re-erected in the entrance to the Community Wing in November 1993 and rededicated by Rev. RJ McDowall.
A rectangular polished brass plaque with red and black lettering. On the left hand side is the figure of
Britannia holding a large Union flag with blue and red enamel.
“LAURIESTON SCHOOL/ ERECTED IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE FORMER PUPILS
WHO/ FELL IN THE GREAT WAR ==== 1914 1919/
COCHRANE JOHN M.
CONNELL HUGH H.
DOUGAL JOHN DCM
GRANT WM C.
MORRIS JAS. F. MC
MORRISON JOHN MM
SIME JOHN D.
STEWART WM. W.
M INTYRE JOHN
PRATTIS WM. L.
REILLY JAS. MM
ALSO IN HONOUR OF THOSE WHO SERVED
BAIRD JOHN C.
BLACKHALL JN. DCM.
CAMPBELL JOHN A
DEVINE JAS K.
DICK WM B.
DOUGALL WM. MM.
FERGUSON ADAM D.
CUMMINGS JAS. M.
CUNNINGHAM ARCHD. FREW RBT.
CUNNINGHAM JN M. DCM.
FULTON RBT. MSM.
GILLESPIE FRANK C.
GILLESPIE JOHN MM.
HAMILTON JAS. F.
HARRISON JAS. B.
IRVINE JOHN A.
JACK DAV. N.
MITCHELL DAV. L.
MITCHELL HARRY J.
MITCHELL HERBT. J.
MCINTYRE DON. MM BAR OMG. POLLOCK JAS.
MONTGOMERY ANDW. MCINTYRE WM.
PORTEOUS JOHN P.
KEIR JOHN ASM.
MOODIE RBT MM.
MCKENZIE DRUMMOND PORTEOUS JOHN R.
MCKENZIE J. D.
KYDD GEO. W.
MCLACHLAN JAS. MCP. PRENTICE GEO.
MORRISON CHAS. C.
MCLAY ALEX MM.
LIVINGSTON ALEX. MCQ. MORRISON WALTER
MACDONALD HECTOR MCMILLAN ANDW.
MCQUEEN J. S.
MCFARLANE ROD. MM. BAR
MCQUEEN JAS. REVIE RBT.
RICHARDSON ED. G.
MACFARLANE IRVINE PATERSON DAN. R.
PATERSON DAV. M.
MILLER DAV. P.
MILLER JOHN H. SEN.
MILLER JOHN H. JUN.
PATERSON RBT. DCM
ROBERTSON HUGH S.
SMART RBT C.
SMITH ALEX. H.S.
SMITH JAC. L.
STEELE JOHN MCK.
STEWART DAN.R. DCM.
STODDART JAS. MCL.
TAYLOR HENRY DCM.
TAYLOR RBT. M.R.
TAYLOR WM. R.
WADDELL THOS J.A.
WALKER RBT. S.
WARDROPE JOHN R. MC.
WELTON MARK A.
Camelon Parish Church (St John’s) (SMR955)
The lives of two hundred and sixty-three men belonging to the quoad sacra parish of Camelon were
sacrificed in defence of King and country during the great war of 1914-1918. To perpetuate their
memory a beautifully designed scroll memorial was unveiled by Colonel Robertson, V.C., O.B.E., at
an impressive ceremony held in Camelon Parish Church in January 1921. The memorial, which was
erected in the centre of the church directly in front of the choir place and in full view of the
congregation, is encased in a handsome oak frame. The scroll design, by Mr S. Arch. D. Webster, is
simple but effective, and the names of the fallen are inscribed over a background of blue and white,
representing the sky. Above the 263 names there is the inscription "Giving thanks to God for the
honoured memory of the Camelon men who entered into rest in the Great War. 1914-1918." while
underneath are the words "We who loved and honoured them have dedicated this record of the gallant
St Andrew’s Church (SMR 931)
34 members of the congregation are commemorated on the
memorial in this church, which was unveiled by Miss Orr of
Kinnaird in April 1921. The memorial takes the form of two
panels inserted in the organ case, one at either side of the
pulpit, and in full view of the congregation. The panels are of
oak with carved surrounds, and surmounting each is a large
Saint Andrew’s cross in blue and white relief. The surrounds
are also relieved by touches of blue, while the lettering is of
ebony. The inscription they bear and the names of the fallen
are as follows: “TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND THE
HONOURED/ MEMORY OF THE MEN/ OF THIS
CONGREGATION/ WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/ IN THE
GREAT WAR,/ 1914-1919.”
“ROBERT BELL, DAVID P. BLACK, EDWARD S. BROWN,
EDWARD J. BRYSON, ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL, JAMES
CLARK, JOHN COCHRANE, PETER COCHRANE, COLIN
CURRIE, ANDREW B. GARDNER, JAMES GARDNER,
WILLIAM S. JOHNSTON, JAMES LIDDELL, GEORGE McAULAY, CHARLES McCALL, SENR.,
CHARLES MCCALL, JUNR., HENRY MCCALL, FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH”.
WILLIAM McKENDRICK, JOSEPH McLEAN, GEORGE McMURTRIE, ALEXANDER MACPHERSON,
JOHN MARTIN, WILLIAM MARTIN, ARTHUR R. ORR, WILLIAM PATERSON, WILLIAM PENDER,
ROBERT SIMPSON, THOMAS STRANG, PETER TAYLOR, GEORGE K. WALKER, JOHN WALKER, J.
DOUGLAS D. WATT, THOMAS WAUGH, GILBERT WILKIE, LEST WE FORGET.”
The church roll of honour, which contains the names of 173 men and women who served in the war,
was unveiled at the same time as the tablet, and the service was conducted by the Rev. J.B. Johnston,
B.D. It takes the form of a parchment, suitably mounted and in a simple oak frame, and is placed in
the main vestibule of the church. The list of names has an architectural setting in the style of Late
French Renaissance, and the whole is executed in delicate colourings. The royal coat-of-arms, with a
group of flags, is the distinctive point of the design, and to right and left are cartouches containing the
crest of the church and the figure of St Andrew. Throughout the work is full of features symbolical of
the church’s part in the war and of the achievements of the fighting forces. It was the work of Robert
Wilson, A.R.I.B.A., who gave his time freely. He had held a commission during the war in the Royal
Engineers, and was a member and deacon of St Andrew’s U.F. Church.
Carmuirs Merchant Navy War Memorial (SMR2069)
A large steel anchor with splayed
terminals stands erect in a fenced
enclosure adjacent to the Carmuirs
Co-op. It was dedicated to the
Merchant Navy in 2010 and
appropriately fronts on to Mariner
Street. Links of the chain extend
from the top to the ground. A
metal plaque at its foot reads:
“IN HONOUR OF THOSE MEN/
AND WOMEN OF
FROM THE DISTRICT OF
FALKIRK/ WHO SERVED
THEIR COUNTRY/ IN TIMES OF PERIL/ MANY OF WHOM MADE/ THE ULTIMATE
SACRIFICE/ NOVEMBER 2010”
Falkirk Baptist Church (SMR1101)
64 men from the congregation joined up. One of the deacons, George Donaldson, was killed in
Palestine in November 1917. The Roll of Honour (20th list) printed in the Scottish Baptist Magazine
in 1918 gives the name of 9 men from Falkirk Baptist Church who died. In January 1919 discussions
started on a suitable war memorial and two brass plates were considered – one bearing the names of
those who had served and the other the names of those killed. A memorial committee was set up in
1923, but no plates were produced.
Bainsford Church (SMR2041)
The memorial to the men of Bainsford Church who gave their lives in the Second World War takes
the form of a baptismal font and bears a bronze tablet suitably inscribed with the names of the fallen.
The font is of a specially selected oak to harmonise with the Communion table and chairs and is of a
design to suit ecclesiastical purposes. The inscription on the tablet is as follows:- “To the glory of
God, and in memory of William Foley, John King, Laurence McDonald, George Milroy, Andrew L.
Mochar, Richard Montgomery, James Scott, George Scott, George Shirra, William Simpson, Robert
Todd, James Waddell, George Whyte, who gave their lives in the Second World War, 1939 – 1945.”
Andrew Simpson, a senior elder, the father of one of the fallen, unveiled the memorial in June 1951.
The Rev. J. M. McAllister, minister of the church, dedicated the font and then read the names of the
fallen. Two minutes silence was observed and the silence was broken with the buglers sounding the
“Last Post”. A prayer followed and the “Reveille” was sounded by George Fowler, Capt. of 2nd
Polmont Boys' Brigade and Alexander Myles, R.N.
Kerse Church (SMR884)
The First World War memorial is placed to the
north of the chancel arch. It consists of a veined
white marble rectangular tablet set into a cast
bronze frame decorated with bay leaves placed on a
sandstone plaque with a bead and rod border. The
dedication on the tablet is in bronze relief, and the
names of the fallen in gold lettering. The tablet is
surmounted by an open cast bronze laurel wreath
with a gold cross in the upper aperture. It was
designed by Dr P McGregor Chalmers, Glasgow.
The dedication service in May 1921 was conducted
by Rev. W A Knowles, Dalton, the first minister of
The inscription begins in large black letters “TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ IN MEMORY OF THOSE/
WHO FELL IN THE WAR/ MCMXIV- MCMXIX THE/ COMMUNION TABLE IS/
And continues in smaller gold lettering:
RONALD M. ANDERSON
EDWARD W. ANDERSON
DAVID S. HAMILTON
JAMES A. RALPH
EDWARD SMITH M.M. M.S.M.
ARCHIBALD A. TAYLOR
JOHN REID TAYLOR
ANDREW B. THOMSON
DAVID M. WALKER
“GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR IS
The oak communion table referred to is placed in the chancel. The table is richly carved with a design
of grapes and vine leaves round the cornice, the Cross in the centre panel, and ornate panels to right
A little to its north and at a lower
level is the bronze panel
World War. It is rectangular with
a low arched centre with raised
lettering and decoration set on an
decoration consists of an eternal
flame burning atop a pole born urn
crossed by two sprigs of laurel on
either side of the inscription.
These rich motifs contrast with the
plain borders and rusticated back.
The inscription is:
“1939-1945/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOUR OF THE MEN/ OF THIS
CONGREGATION/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE SECOND WORLD WAR/.
ROBERT M. BUCHAN ,
WILLIAM C. MILLAR,
JOSPEH A. WARNER,
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.”
The name of the manufacturer is stamped on the bottom right corner - ROSSORLK Co Ltd, London,
Dundas Church (SMR100)
This memorial is now fixed to the wall
just to the south of the chancel arch of
Abbotsgrange Church. A rectangular
brass plaque with plain borders
punctuated by square rosettes. The
cast inscription reads:
1914 1918/ TO THE GLORY OF/
GOD AND IN HONOUR/ OF THE
66 MEN AND 4 NURSES/ FROM
THIS CONGREGATION WHO/
SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR - /
OF THE FOLLOWING/ WHO
MADE THE GREAT SACRIFICE/
BAXTER. JOHN R.
DONALD. THOS. J.
MILLAR. DAVID H.
MITCHELL. JOHN T.
PEDDIE. WM. B.
AND IN MEMORY OF WHOM THE/ CHANCEL WINDOWS ARE ERECTED”.
Grangemouth West Church (SMR880)
The memorial was a large oblong of bronze set in a frame of green Swedish marble, the tone being
rich, soft and warm. The letters stand out in bold relief in sunken rectangular panels, and the border is
similarly executed with black paint in the background. The ornate border has a flowing scroll of
Tudor roses and leaves. Some of the flower heads have fixing screws at their centres. It was executed
by Messrs Allan and Sons, 4 George Place, Edinburgh, to a drawing by, and under the
superintendence of, Mr John Kinross, A.R.S.R..
Beneath the superscription “TO THE MEMORY OF THOSE BELONGING/ TO THIS
CONGREGATION/ WHO FELL DURING THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919" the following names
were inscribed:Pte. J.C. ALLWART, 17th H.L.I.
Sgt. R.S.BURNS, 1st C.H.
Pte. D. CLARK,10th A. & S.H.
Lt. W.T. GALBRAITH, R.F.C.
Pte. J. INKSTER, 1st G.H.
Pte. W. LAMOND, H.C.B.
Pte. R. MATHEW, R.N.
Pte. R. MERCER, 1/6th R.H.
R. McGEOCH, 7th A. & S.H.
Lt. J. MACGOWAN, R.A.M.C.
Pte. C. PATERSON, 1st G.H.
Sgt. A.R. TAYLOR, 10th A & S.H.
Lt. R. WATT, 11th R.F.
Below there was the epitaph "BE THOU FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH,/ AND I WILL GIVE THEE A
CROWN OF LIFE”.
The memorial was unveiled in the church, but later fixed in the vestibule. At the ceremony in
November 1920 it was covered by the Union Jack, and then unveiled by Mrs Mitchell, one of the
oldest workers in the church. “The congregation remained standing while Mr Riddick read over the
names engraved on the tablet. All present were deeply moved. The organist gave a beautiful
rendering of "The Flowers of the Forest" and after the benediction had been pronounced the "Last
Post" was sounded by Bugler Peter McKellar, late of the 7th Scottish Rifles, the haunting notes of the
familiar call striking a chord
of deepest pathos. With the
singing of the National
Anthem, a very touching and
memorable service came to a
After the church was
demolished the bronze table
found its way into the
collections of the
Grangemouth Heritage Trust
and is currently (2013) fixed
to the wall of the entrance
foyer. The marble has been
replaced by a simple wooden
A second plaque, presumably from this
church, was set up after the Second World
War. It is a rectangular brass plaque with
raised lettering, the background painted
black. There is a simple beaded border,
now placed within a wide wooden (oak?)
frame and attached to the wall near the
entrance to the Grangemouth Heritage
“TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN
GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF THE MEN
OF THIS CHURCH/ WHO LAID DOWN
THEIR LIVES/ IN THE SECOND
WORLD WAR 1939-1945/
PTE. ALEXANDER SYDSERFF DAVIDSON 7TH A. & S.H.
FIREMAN JOHN FLANNIGAN MERCHANT NAVY
SERGEANT JOHN GRASSOM ROYAL AIR FORCE
MARINE ENGR JAMES HUTCHISON MERCHANT NAVY
PTE. JAMES RAMAGE SNEDDON JOHNSTON 2ND A. & S. H.
PETTY OFFICER DAVID RUSSELL ROYAL NAVY
“GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS”.”
Charing Cross Church (SMR885)
A white marble tablet faced with a smaller tablet of polished brass. 38 names of those killed were cut
out and filled with black, contrasting with the white and red of the border. The dedication read: “To
the glory of God and in loving memory of the brave young men belonging to this church who gave
their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918.” The names are: “Hugh P.S. Allan, John Adams, William
Brown, William N Combe, Peter Campbell, William Cruikshank, Robert P Charleston, Donald
Campbell, Fred Grant, David Graham, Samuel Gray, William Hector, John Hector, Thomas Inkster,
Robert Inkster, David Kemp, William Kay, George Kay, James Harry Keir, James WS Kerr, Roy F
Millar, George M Millar, Peter Murray, James McLean, William Oliphant, David Oliphant, John
Oliphant, Wm ES Ripsley, Alex Ross, Wm T Smeall, John Smith, Thomas Smith, David Sneddon,
James Urquhart, David Wilson, Alex Bruce Walmsley, Hugh Young, Alexander Young.
Underneath are the words: “They counted not their lives dear.”
The plaque was temporarily fixed to the front of the pulpit for the unveiling ceremony in June 1921.
Rev. T Fraser read the names of the fallen and Mrs Houston unveiled the memorial. The last Post was
sounded and then Rev. Dr McLean Watt spoke. Present were the Boys’ Brigade, a contingent of
sailors from an Admiralty ship in Grangemouth Docks, and ex-servicemen as well as church officials
and the congregation. The tablet was soon moved to the vestibule facing the right-hand outer door.
A simple rectangular brass plaque
with plain lined border, now set into
a plain picture frame and mounted
onto the wall at the entrance to the
Grangemouth Heritage Trust. The
lettering is engraved and picked out
“TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND
IN LOVING MEMORY/ OF THE
YOUNG MEN OF THIS
CONGREGATION/ WHO GAVE
THEIR LIVES IN THE WORLD
THEY COUNTED NOT THEIR LIVES DEAR”
Zetland Parish Church SMR276)
A rectangular white marble plaque with a broad
deeply carved border of ovolo set in the corners
with acanthus leaves and with a sprig of laurel
along the bottom. The upper part of the panel
shows a crowned angel kneeling to either side of a
shield, which they support and which bears the
initials “ihs” surmounted by a crown.
The main text reads:
“+ ERECTED BY THIS CONGREGATION/
TO COMMEORATE WITH THANKS TO/
ALMIGHTY GOD THE SACRIFICE OF NINE
FORTY OF ITS MEMBERS AND
WHO SERVED ON LAND AND SEA IN THE/
GREAT WAR 1914-1919 AND WHO FELL IN/
BATTLE DIED OF WOUNDS OR
TO ILLNESS CONTRACTED IN SERVICE/
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
R.M. DENNISTOUN, M.M.
R. MATHIE, M.M.
T. DENNISTOUN, M.M. R.S.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
H.M.S. QUEEN MARY.
“BE THOU FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH, AND I/ WILL GIVE THEE A CROWN OF LIFE.””
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
A. & S.H.
Kerse Church (now Abbotsgrange) (SMR884)
The memorials take the form of an oak communion table placed in the chancel, and a marble tablet on
the wall between the chancel and the choir door. The table is richly carved with a design of grapes
and vine leaves round the cornice, the Cross in the centre panel, and ornate panels to right and left.
The veined white marble tablet has a bronze border of bay leaves an inch from the edge, the
dedication in bronze relief, and the names of the fallen in gold lettering. On the wall immediately
above is a wreath of laurel leaves, also bronze, surmounted by a gold cross. These were designed by
Dr P McGregor Chalmers, Glasgow.
The names on the tablet are as follows, preceded by the words:- "To the glory of God, in memory of
those who fell in the war, MCMXIV-MCMXIX, the communion table is dedicated": - Ronald M
Anderson, Edward W Anderson, Henry Brock, Andrew Dougall, William Drysdale, David S
Hamilton, John Hogg, Peter Kemp, James Kemp, Robert Kemp, Archibald Learmonth, Robert
Marshall, Peter Milne, William Milne, Robert Mitchell, William Nicolson, James A Ralph, Robert
Robertson, James Sharp, John Short, Edward Smith, MM., MSM., James Stewart, Alex Strang,
Joseph Strang, Archibald A Taylor, John Reid Taylor, Andrew B Thomson, David M Walker, Robert
Wallace. At the foot of the tablet are the lines:- "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay
down his life for his friends".
Rev. W A Knowles, Dalton, the first minister of the church, conducted the dedication service and rev
Mr Brown performed the unveiling in May 1921.
St Mary’s Episcopalian Church (SMR1472)
A polychrome rood is suspended from the chancel arch of this
church. It was gifted by a member of the congregation whose
son was killed in the Second World War to honour all of those
who did not return. The dominant colour is pale blue. In the
centre is the crucifix and to either side is a full length figure of
a man and a woman.
Above Christ’s head is a curving white ribbon inscribed
“INRI” and along the basal bar “GOD SO LOVED THE
Thick vertical brass tablet with a dappled background
and polished flat finish to the borders. There is a
rectangular inset at the top right, in art deco style,
containing a cross.
“TO THE SACRED MEMORY/ OF THE EMPLOYEES OF/
MUIRHEAD & SONS LTD/ GRANGEMOUTH
SAWMILLS/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE
SECOND WORLD WAR 1939-45/
ROBERT BUCHAN, D.F.C.
“THEIR NAMES LIVE FOR EVER”.”
It is now in the foyer of the Grangemouth Heritage Trust.
Located half way up the stairs in the West Area Amenities Block (WAAB), which faces Beancross
Road. It is a metal (cast iron with coating?) plaque imitating in form wall memorials in churches with
bottom brackets and a pedimented arched top.
A square panel in the pediment contains a lion,
and there are laurel sprigs down the sides.
“IMPERIAL CHEMICAL INDUSTRIES LTD/
SCOTTISH DYES WORKS/ IN MEMORY
OF THOSE EMPLOYEES/ WHO GAVE
THEIR LIVES/ ON ACTIVE SERVICE/ IN
THE SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939-1945/
Grangemouth Rechabite Hall (SMR1717)
The memorial was executed by the firm of Archibald Hamilton, Glasgow, in the form of a tablet of
polished brass, inset in a pillowed oak frame. The insignia of the Gem of the Forth Tent, I.O.R.,
surrounded the design, within a wreath of thistles, and a scroll coloured with red and blue. A figure of
Britannia at the left side holding the wreath of victory in outstretched hand, with the Union Jack also
in colour, dominates the design. The lettering reads:- “In everlasting remembrance of the members of
this tent who gave their lives in the Great War.” Then came the names of the dead, and beneath “And
in commemoration of the other 220 members who responded to their country’s call.” The dates 1914
– 1919 and the quotation “Their names liveth for evermore” appears in gilt lettering along the bottom
of the oak frame.
The names on the memorial are:- John Brunton, Robert Charleston, David Clark, Andrew Dougal,
William Fleming, Gordon Graham, David Hamilton, William Hector, Samuel Horne, Robert W.
Inkster, Thomas Inkster, Robert Jamieson, John Jamieson, Thomas Laidlaw, David Kemp, Duncan
Macdonald, Archibald McGeoch, Robert Mathie, J. Millgrew, Thomas Moodie, William Murdoch,
Alexander Nicholson, James Ralph, Alex. Ramsay, J. Scada, Andrew Scott, James Sharp, James
Smith, Edward Wilson, David Wilson, Robert Watt, Hugh Young, Samuel Gray.”
It was unveiled in November 1921 by Bro. Thomas Stewart. Those present included delegates from
all sub districts.
The present location of this monument is unknown. The Rechabite Hall, which stood off Lumley
Street, was demolished in the 1960s.
Larbert Parish Church (SMR127)
“THE OAK SCREEN IN THE CHANCEL WAS DEDICATED TO THE GLORY OF GOD/
AND IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR 1914-1918
MAJOR J.F. JONES
LIEUT. JOHN GEORGE SHERRIFF
C.S.M. THOMAS INGLIS
SGT. FRED REID
SGT. ALEX. TASKER
SGT. JOHN THOMSON
CPL. ANDREW MCCOWAN
CPL. HENRY PHILIP
CPL. THOS. ROBB
L/CPL. J.E. GIBSON
L/CPL ROWLAND HILL
L/CPL ROBERT MURRAY
L/CPL. JAMES STEELE
PTE. WM. ARMIT
PTE. JAMES BAIRD
PTE. ABNER BORTHWICK
PTE. G.F. BROCK
PTE. DONALD CAMERON
PTE. JAMES COWAN
PTE. ALEX. ESSLEMONT
PTE. THOS. FOOTE
PTE. WM. STEWART
PTE. ROBERT THURSBY
SGT ROBERT EDGAR
PTE. CHAS. MAITLAND
PTE. GEORGE MCDOUGAL
CPL. FRANCIS CROMBIE
L/CPL WM. DICKMAN
L/CPL THOS. MENZIES
L/CPL GEO RITCHIE
PTE ANDREW AITKEN
PTE JOHN ANDERSON
PTE JAS FERGUSON
PTE FRANCIS GRANT
PTE RICHARD PATERSON
SGT GEORGE MITCHELL
PTE ALEX COOK
PTE JAMES GARDNER
PTE ROBT HODGE
PTE ARCH LENNOX
TROOPER WALTER SCOTT
PTE THOS FORRESTER
PTE. WM. JARVIE
PTE. DONALD JENKINS
PTE. DAVID JOHNMAN
PTE. ANDREW JOHNSTON
PTE. WM. KERR
PTE. FRANCIS LORN
PTE. HUGH MARTIN
PTE. J.E. MENZIES
PTE. T.B. MILLER
PTE. JOHN MCDONALD
PTE. DUNCAN MCLACHLAN
PTE. M. MCNICOL
PTE. WM. PHILIP
PTE. ALEX. ROBERTSON
PTE. JAMES SCOTT
PTE. JOHN SCOTT
PTE. JAMES SCOTT
PTE. ROBT. TAYLOR
PTE. J.M.JOINER AUSTRALIAN –ER FORCE
PTE. EBEN. RENNIE M.M. CAMERON HDRS
PTE WM HUNTER
PTE JAMES SCOTT
E. LANCS REGIMENT
L/CPL JOHN GRANT
L/CPL WALTER HOTSON
L/CPL JOHN HASTINGS
PTE JOS. BLAIR
PTE ANDREW GARDNER
2ND LT ALEX A SHERRIFF
LT --- MILLAR
AM GRAHAM THOMSON
PTE ALEX BINNIE
CPL WILLIAM ANDERSON
PTE ALEX LOGAN
--PTE JAMES B McILROY
ROYAL BERKS REGT
PTE SA WHITE
--SPR DAVID EWING
SPR WM REID
LT GEO REID
ROYAL FIELD ARTILLIERY
GNR DAN. BUCHANAN
GNR WE GIBSON
GNR AF McARTHUR
DVR JOS. BALFOUR
PTE SAM GRAY
PTE JOHN COCKBURN
BLACK WATCH (RH)
PTE N.D. RANKINE
PTE ALEX. GENTLES
PTE WM. SCOTT
PTE DAVID GLANVILLE
PTE CHAS. JOHNSTON
PTE THOMAS HANNAH
PTE JOHN RAMSAY
PTE JOHN MCFARLANE
CAPT A. ROXBURGHE ORR
AB JOHN DAVIE
ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION PTE THOMAS GARDNER
AB J.A. FERGUSON
CPL WM. LEWIS
AB ALEX GIBB
PTE WM. GOOD
AB ROBERT HILL
L/CPL ROBERT WATSON MM
AB HECTOR MCPHAIL
PTE HUGH HAMILTON
AB WM. REID
PTE WM MCDONALD
AB EBEN. REID
PTE DUGALD RANKINE
AB WM. SINCLAIR
PTE DAVID RUNCIMAN
AB WM. TASKER
PTE HENRY THOMSON
AB JAMES QUINN
PTE THOS. WHITTET
CHF.S FULTON GILLESPIE
PTE JOHN WOOD
CPL ROBERT WAUGH
SGT ROBERT STEWART DOBBIE
PTE ROBERT BROWN
PTE THOMAS COWAN MM
PTE WM. FERGUSON
YORKS & LANCS LI
“TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE
WORLD WAR 1939-1945”
SGT RONNIE BAIRD
L/CPL WM BALLANTYNE
PTE THOMAS DYER
P/TPR DAVID C FAIRWEATHER
P/O THOMAS HAIG JNR
FSG/O HUGH M. MATHESON
ENG/O JOSEH MITCHELL
GNR CHARLES MORRISON
SGT MCKENZIE MUIRHEAD
CAPT NORMAN R. MUNN
PTE EDWARD MCCALLUM 6TH AIRBOURNE REG
P/O WILLIAM G. SINGER
CPL JAMES F.G WYLLIE
JAMES C. YOUNG
N/SIS AGNES M.G.YOUNG
CAPT JAMES BRUCE JONES
CAPT REID BRUCE JONES
S/LIEUT ROBERT C KAY FLEET AIR ARM RNVR
SIG ROBERT M KELLY
SGT ANDREW KIRKWOOD
SGT/O JAMES MCINTYRE
LAC HUGH MCLEOD
PTE WILLIAM MCLUCKIE
GNR DAVID Y. MCPHAIL
STOKER WILLIAM N. NEISH
SGT/PILOT DAVID L REID
MA--VAR NURSING SERVICE
THIER NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.”
Larbert West Church (SMR0131)
The memorial - a stone plaque with black lettering set into a rectangular cast brass frame - was
unveiled on 17 September 1922. The border contains simple line decoration punctuated with small
thistle rosettes. The inside edge of
the frame forms a short cross, the
spandrels of which contain the dates
1914, 1919, 1939 and 1945. A
ribbon along the bottom reads
“LEST WE FORGET”. The main
“IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF
CONGREGATION/ WHO GAVE
THEIR LIVES FOR US/ IN THE
JOHN ADAM SCOT, RIF.
AITKEN, A. & S.H.
JAMES BINNIE, A. & S.H.
JAMES GRAHAM, A. & S.H.
FRANICS H. GRANT, GORDON HRS.
JOHN GRANT, LANC. FUS.
ROBERT HEGGISON, GORDON HRS.
GEORGE JOHNSTON, R.S. FUS.
L/CPL. JOHN LAVERIE, CAM. HRS.
ARCHIBALD LENNOX, H.L.I.
L/CPL. JOHN MCLAREN, SCOT. RIF.
JAMES SHIRRA, 11TH HUSSARS.
JOHN TAYLOR, E. YORKS.
WILLIAM THOMSON, A. & S.H.
ALEX. S. WALKER, GORDON HRS.
CAPT. GRAHAME H. WADE, A. & S.H.
LIEUT. MALCOLM R. WALKER, A. & S.H.
F/SGT. RICHARD FOWLER
F/LT ALEX. M. CUMMINGS
The frame and the last two names were added after the Second World War and were dedicated on
Remembrance Day 1951.
Stenhouse Parish Church [McLaren Memorial Church] (SMR130)
A carved oak communion table made to designs by Sir J.J. Burnet, the architect of the church and
manse. The figures of Jesus, St Andrew and St George were modelled by William Vickers and carved
by Mr Porter, the foreman carver with Wyllie & Lochhead Ltd. The colouring was carried out by a
Glasgow artist after studying the east window.
The communion table occupies the raised dressed red sandstone plinth of its predecessor. The table
top over-sails the sides and caps the tops of three niches. These niches have fretwork canopies and
are located at the two front corners and in the centre of the front face. Each is occupied by a carved
painted wooden figure. On the left is St Andrew carrying his cross; in the centre is Christ with his
arms outstretched and a kneeling angel praying to either side; and on the right is St George in armour
holding his sword with the point resting on the ground. Between each figure is a panel containing
nine shields, the centre one being slightly larger than the rest. A name is carved in relief on each
shield except the central one, which bears a longer sentence. There are nine further shields on the
south end of the table and ten on the north. The background between the shields is filled with gilded
oak leaves and acorns. A broad vine band with berries forms a cornice scroll along the top.
The greater part of the cost was provided by a legacy from Lt John George Sherriff of Stenhouse, one
of those commemorated on the holy table. It was dedicated and unveiled by Rev. James MacGibbon,
M.C., D.D., minister of Glasgow Cathedral, in March 1921.
In July 1948 six more names were added for the Second World War, the carving also undertaken by
ARCHIBALD/ FAIR. PTE./ 12TH R. SCOTS
ALEXANDE/R HILL/ SERGT. MAJ/ R.F.A.
JAMES/ HILL/ GUNNER/ R.F.A.
ARCHIBALD S./ HUNTER/ CAPT./ 7TH A.&S.H.
TO/ THE MEN/ OF THIS CHURCH/ WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY/ 1914-1919./
ROBERT G. HUNTER/ LIEUT./ 7TH A.&S.H.
THOMAS/ INGLIS/ CPL./ 7TH A.&S.H.
WILLIAM/ KEMP/ MECH./ R.A.F.
DAVID M./ LANGLANDS/ PTE./ 18TH WELSH REGT.
JOSPEH/ LEWIS/ PTE./ K.O.Y.L.I.
KENNETH/ MCDONALD/ LIEUT./ R.A.F.
DAVID/ MCEWAN/ L.CPL./ 7TH A.&S.H.
WILLIAM/ MCEWAN/ PTE./ 7TH A.&S.H.
GREATER LOVE/ HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN/ LAY DOWN/ HIS LIFE FOR/ HIS
GEORGE/ MACFARLANE/ PIPE MAJ./ R. HIGHRS.
JAMES/ MITCHELL/ L.S./ M.M. R.N.D.
COLIN H./ NISBET/ L.CPL./ 7TH A.&S.H.
ROBERT S/ PARKER/ L.CPL./ GORD. HIGHRS.
THERE IS ONLY ONE HOLY ONE/ LORD JESUS/ CHRIST IN WHOM ARE WE
HARRY/ PRESTON/ PTE./ R.N.D.
ROBERT/ REID/ PTE./ --- SCOTS
ALEXANDER N./ SHERRIFF/ 2ND LIEUT./ 14TH -----JOHN G./ SHERRIFF/ LIEUT./ 7TH A.&S.H.
JOHN/ TAYLOR/ SGT./ ----ROBERT/ TAYLOR/ PTE./ 7TH A.&S.H.
DAVID F./ WILSON/ PTE./ 7TH A.&S.H.
DANIEL/ WHYTE/ PTE./ 10TH A.&S.H.
HENRY/ WHYTE/ ---/ 2ND A.&S.H.
JAMES/ CAMPBELL/ PTE./ 2ND R.SCOTS
JOHN A./ CARMICHAEL/ PTE./ 12TH R.SCOTS
ANDREW/ CHESNEY/ PTE./ 7TH A.&S.H.
ROSS/ DALGETTY/ PTE./ 12TH R.SCOTS
JAMES T.K./ DEA. M.A./ PTE./ 7TH A.&S.H.
ANDREW/ DICK/ L//CPL./ 11TH A.&S.H.
JOHN/ DICK/ PTE./ 7TH A.&S.H.
ADRIAN C./ DOUGLAS/ A.B./ R.N.
JAMES/ DUNCAN/ PTE./ 35 CAMERONS
JOHN/ DUNCAN/ PTE./ 8TH R.SCOTS
On the plinth along the front face another six shields have been added:
GEORGE/ BROOKES/ L//T/ R.N
DAVID/ BRUCE/ PTE./ BLK.WATCH
THOMAS/ MCLEAN/ SGT./ R.A.F.
JAMES/ STEWART/ GNR./ R.A.
ALAN/ SMITH/ SGT./ R.A.F./
JAMES/ WATSON/ CPL./ 1ST AIRBORNE
Carron UF Church (SMR1789)
The war memorial from Carron Church was transferred to Stenhouse & Carron Parish Church after
their union in 1963 and is now fixed to its south wall towards the east end of the aisle. It was unveiled
by Colonel Henry Wade, C.M.G., D.S.O., Edinburgh, in March 1921. The memorial is of white
Sicilian marble and is the work of Mr Roberts, Falkirk. It consists of a rectangular plaque sandwiched
between Corinthian pilasters from which hang laurel festoons. The flat cornice has denticulated and
ovolo bands. On either end of the entablature are the dates 1914 and 1919. The dates 1939 and 1945
occur towards the bottoms of the pilasters. The main tablet has black lettering that reads: “TO THE
GLORY OF GOD AND INEVERLASTING REMEMBRANCE / OF THE MEN FROM THIS
CHURCH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR TRUTH LIBERTY AND RIGHTEOUSNESS IN THE
BENJAMIN BUCHANAN, S. HORSE.
JAMES A. S. BURGESS, R.A.M.C.
JOHN CRAWFORD, S.R.
WILLIAM DICK, A. & S.H.
JAMES DUNCAN, A. & S.H.
THOMAS GALBRAITH, R.A.S.C.
W. ISAAC GODSON, R.E.
CLEMENT P. HAGUE, R.S.
SYDNEY C. HAGUE, BED. REGT.
FRANCIS HOWDEN, A. & S.H.
JAMES H. LAING, A. & S.H.
ROBERT MCCAIG, R.N.D.
ROBERT MCGREGOR, R.F.A.
ALBERT MILNE, G.H.
THOMAS RAE, R.N.D.
DAVID W. RUSSELL, R.S.F.
ROBERT SMITH, A. & S.H.
ROBERT STARK, R.S.
ROBERT STEWART, A. & S.H.
GEORGE WALKER, G.H.
JOHN J. WILSON, A. & S.H.
“GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/
IAN CUNNINGHAM, R.A.F.
DAVID ALLAN, A. & S.H.
JAMES D. LETHAM, R.A.
JAMES D. CUMMING, R.A.F.
ALEXANDER M. THOMSON, R.S.F.
WALTER HALL, R.N.
THOMAS L. LAING, R.A.F.
JAMES WILSON, M.N.”
Tryst Golf Club
Two phosphor-bronze plaques are attached to the
whitewashed raised panel on the white harled north wall of
the club house for the Tryst Golf course, overlooking a
public footpath. A hood-mould, following the shape of the
plaques is painted black. The upper plaque has an arched
centre containing crossed golf clubs surrounded by thistles.
The broad border is a simple “chain” interlace pattern.
“1914 1919/ TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY OF THE/
MEMBERS OF THIS CLUB WHO LAID/ DOWN
THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/
ANDREW B. MCCRAE
JAMES T.K. DEA
ROBERT S. DOBBIE
DONALD R. FRASER
JOHN A. RENNIE
ARCHIBALD S. HUNTER
ALEXR. N. SHERRIFF
ROBERT G. HUNTER
JOHN G. SHERRIFF
JAMES F. JONES
THOMAS B. MILLER
GRAHAM H. WADE
J. DOUGLAS WATT
THEY PLAYED THE GAME”
The lower panel is rectangular and has the same interlace border.
“AND THOSE WHO FELL IN THE WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945.
A. MCK. CUMMINGS
JAMES BRUCE JONES
IAN E.A. MUNDIE
ROBERT C KAY
GEORGE R. NIMMO
JAMES F.G. WYLLIE”
Polmont Old Parish Church (SMR257)
This memorial stands at the foot of
the north tower to the right of the
main east door.
It is placed
centrally to the tower and covers
the bottom of its lancet window. It
is made from a durable closegrained sandstone whose dull grey
colour contrasts with the warm
honeysuckle colour of the ashlar
masonry of the building. The
backing or reredos has gently
sloping sides and is set on a plain
shallow platform or step. The
bottom moulding of the reredos
provides the stand for a simple
stone plinth to which a rectangular
brass plaque is attached.
central part of the base of this
plaque is indented. It bears a short
inscription and the names of the dead:
“THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND/ IN HONOURED MEMORY
OF THE MEN OF POLMONT PARISH/ CHURCH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT
MAJOR MORRIS, JAMES F.
CAPT MCPHAIL, WILLIAM A.
2ND LT RICHARDSON, ROBERT
A.B. ANDERSON, COLIN
PTE BAIN, DANIEL
PTE BROTHWICK, HUGH
L-CPL BORTHWICK, JOHN
L-CPL BRECHIN, GEORGE
PTE BUCHAN, ADAM K.
PTE BURRELL, ADAM
PTE CARMICHAEL, CHARLES
L-CPL CLARK, ROBERT
GUNNER COCHRANE, JOHN
SAPPER DICK, JAMES
PTE DUNLOP, JOHN
CPL EDGAR, JOHN
GUNNER GENTLEMAN, ROBERT
PTE GIBB, ROBERT
PTE GIBB, WILLIAM
PTE HUNTER, THOMAS
PTE JEFFREY, THOMAS M.
L-CPL JOHNSTON, JAMES
PTE LAING, WILLIAM
PTE LAPERE, WILLIAM R.
PTE MCALLEESE, THOMAS
L-CPL MCDONALD, DONALD
PTE MCDONALD, JAMES
PTE MCINTYRE, JOHN
PTE MCMILLN, JAMES
PTE MCNEE, WILLIAM
PTE MARTIN, JAMES
PTE MAXWELL, GEORGE
PTE MILL, JAMES
SAPPER MILLER, JOHN
A.B. MILLER, LESLIE
PTE MORRISON, JAMES
PTE MURRAY, JOHN
PTE NIMMO. PETER
PTE PEEBLES, HECTOR
PTE PENMAN, ROBERT
PTE SCOTT, JAMES
L-CPL SCOTT, JAMES N.
PTE SCOTT, WILLIAM
CPL SHUTT, MATTHEW
PTE SMITH, JOHN
PTE STEEL, ALEXANDER
PTE STEVENSON, ADAM
CPL STEVENSON, JOHN
CPL STIRLING, JOHN R.
PTE STRATHIE, JAMES
PTE SWINTON, ALEXANDER
PTE TAYLOR, JOHN
PTE THOMSON, JASPER A.W.
PTE WALKER, WALTER
PTE WALKER, WILLIAM
PTE WEIR, ANTHONY
PTE WHITE, ARCHIBALD
CPL WILSON, JOHN
PTE YOUNG, ARCHIBALD
FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH”
Above the plaque is a small brass decorative mount having a shield containing St Andrew and his
cross, surrounded by laurel sprigs. Below are the individual numerals “1914-1919.”
For Major James Fitz Morris see Calatria.
Wallacestone Methodist Church (SMR832)
A small rectangular brass plaque attached to
an oak panel with a beaded border and
slightly raised central top. This creates space
for a small wooden laurel wreath. The
lettering on the plaque is picked out in black,
with significant capitals in red.
“TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF
THE MEN OF THIS CONGREGATION
WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR.
A second plaque has been added below this:
1939 ALSO IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR 1945
JOHN GRAY GEORGE MYLES
WILLIAM P. SHANKS
THOMAS T CUMMING ALEXANDER MCE.WALKER
Redding Church (SMR829)
To perpetuate the memory of members of the lodge who fell in the Great War, the brothers of the
Reddingmuir Lodge No. 2329, A.U., of the Loyal Order of Ancient Shepherds erected a memorial
tablet in the interior of the Redding Mission Church, Polmont. It is erected in a prominent position on
the left side of the pulpit. The tablet is of polished white marble and bears the names, together with
the regiment and date on which they fell, of no fewer than nineteen brothers of the lodge. The
rectangular white marble wall tablet is set between squat Corinthian pilasters mounted on brackets.
On the entablature above are the initials “L.O.A.S.” for Loyal Order of Ancient Shepherds. The main
“ERECTED BY THE MEMBERS OF THE ROYAL REDDINGMUIR LODGE NO. 2329 A.U./ IN
MEMORY OF THE BROTHERS WHO HAVE FALLEN DURING THE WAR. 1914-1919/
BRO. JOHN BAIN, C.H., 25 SEPT. 1914
BRO. THOMAS TURNBULL, C.H., 26 OCT. 1917
“ PETER NIMMO, A. & S.H., 25 JAN. 1915
“ COLIN ANDERSON, R.N.D., 26 JAN. 1918
“ WILLIAM COOPER, A. & S.H., 25 APR. 1915 “ JAMES MCDONALD, A. & S.H., 21 MAR 1918
“ JOHN SMITH, A.S.C., 19 JAN. 1916
“ WILLIAM FORRESTER, C.H., 26 JULY 1918
“ JOHN ROBERTSON, R.F.A., 12 AUG. 1916
“ JAMES DICK, R.E., 27 SEPT. 1918
“ GEORGE MAXWELL, R.W., 25 AUG. 1916
“ JAMES MORRISON, R.S.F., 3 OCT. 1918
“ JOHN RAMSAY, R.N.D., 13 NOV. 1916
“ ROBERT SHEPHERD, A.M.C., 15 OCT. 1918
“ WILLIAM HANNAH, R.S., 9 APR. 1917
“ JOHN MILLAR, R.E., 15 JAN. 1919
“ ALEXANDER SWINTON, A. & S.H., 18 MAY 1917 “ HECTOR PEEBLES, A. & S.H., 23 MA 1919
JOHN DUNLOP, A. & S.H., 2 JAN. 1920
“One Sunday in August 1920 an impressive ceremony of unveiling the memorial took place in the
presence of a large and representative gathering of brothers of the lodge, sister lodges, and the
Glasgow executives. The brethren were marshalled in processional order and headed by the Shieldhill
Silver Band marched to Redding, and thence to the Mission Church. The majority of the Shepherds
were in full regalia, save for the feathers in the Balmoral bonnet and the staff, it being understood that
for a church parade the Shepherd discards his feathers and crook, as a soldier discards his rifle for
such an occasion. The many plaids, together with the picturesque bonnets, were particularly pleasing
to the eye. The sister lodges were arranged next in order to the band, with the local lodge in the rear,
with the chaplain, Rev. Mr Richmond; Bro. The Rev. J. Buchanan Mackenzie, B.D., minister of the
parish; and Bro. Captain A.W. Steven of Redding House. On arriving at the church, the band and
leading lodge divided ranks, through which the two foremost brothers, with joined hands, slowly
marched. Bare-headed they proceeded to the rear, each brother solemnly uncovering as he was
passed. On reaching the end of the line the couple turned, and those at the end fell in behind, and, still
bare-headed, advanced to the door of the church, which they entered under an arch of Shepherds’
crooks, held aloft by office bearers. Inside the church every available seat was occupied, and the
service which was held was conducted by Rev. Mr Mackenzie, assisted by the Rev Mr Richmond.
The choir was at full strength, with Mr Alexander McCraw (Polmont Borstal Institution) as organist
and choirmaster. Brother Captain Steven unveiled the tablet, and read out the inscription and names
of the fallen.
Br. Anderson, treasurer, gave a resume of the efforts of the lodge to aid the widows and dependants of
service members. He stated that in 1915 there had been a movement to form one great fund, but
owing to the failure of some lodges to aid in this way the project fell through, and each lodge had just
to go on alone. They had expended over £68 for sick benefits, etc., and they still had a sum of £82 10s
in the bank. Notice of motion to make a pilgrimage to the memorial annually having been given, the
Worthy Master closed the meeting.” (Falkirk Herald).
Heroes’ Park (SMR1651)
Three square stone cairns unveiled on 3 April 2010 to commemorate Samuel Frickleton VC (18911971), Alexander Penman MM & Bar (1896-1961) and soldiers since 1945.
Samuel Frickleton was born at the Old Lodge, Slamannan; Alexander Penman at Loanrigg.
Three chamfered stone plinths contain
details of each of the three categories, with
white flagpoles between. The central plinth
is surmounted by a large replica of a Victoria
Cross. They are set in a small public park.