Beef Bourguignon Serves 4
10ml vegetable oil
400g diced chuck steak
40g plain flour
2 bacon rashers – diced
200g Spanish onions – sliced
300ml beef stock
200ml red wine
200g button mushrooms – cleaned and sliced
40g tomato puree
1 garlic clove – peeled and crushed
1 bay leaf
1 sprig of fresh thyme
5g chopped parsley
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
2 tsp cornflour
1. Heat the oil over a medium heat.
2. Season the beef with salt and pepper.
3. Coat well in the flour, shaking off the excess.
Seal the beef in the hot oil until browned.
4. Add the bacon, onions and mushrooms.
Cook until the bacon is rendered and onions are tender.
5. Add the wine and simmer until it reduces by half, then add the stock, tomato puree, garlic,
and a bouquet garni (bay leaf/thyme/parsley
wrapped in a leek skin).
6. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cover
and braise gently for approximately 2.5 hours
until beef is fork tender.
7. Discard the bouquet garni. Season to taste
with salt and pepper (optional) and stir in the
cornflour to thicken.
Nutrition Info (per serving)
“Eating well is so much easier
when you’ve got attractive,
tasty food in front of you.”
Chef at Sunrise of Edgbaston