Handout 3 - Stop Gas Fires
My name is Austin Bailiff.
When I was 14, I was like a lot of kids. I had good friends I liked to
hang out with, and I liked to play football. And my parents gave me
chores to do at home – including mowing the lawn.
One day I decided to see what would happen if I used just a little
bit of gasoline to start a fire. But if you know anything about gasoline,
you know that it’s extremely flammable. And that it has vapors that
THE NEXT THING I KNEW, I WAS IN A HOSPITAL BED
BURNED ALL OVER MY BODY.
I COULDN’T WALK. I COULDN’T TALK.
FOR YEARS, I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL AS MUCH
AS I WAS AT HOME.
SO WHEN KIDS IN MY TOWN STARE AT THE SCARS
FROM MY SKIN GRAFTS, I’M GLAD. IT REMINDS ME
HOW LUCKY I AM TO BE ALIVE.
AND I HOPE OTHER KIDS CAN LEARN FROM
MY STORY THAT GAS AND FIRE NEVER MIX.
GASOLINE & FIRE NEVER MIX
There is no safe way to start a fire with gas. Help spread Austin’s story to other kids you know.
Share this flyer with a friend or visit StopGasFire.org to learn more.
Help us spread the word. StopGasFires.org
N AT I O N A L G A S O L I N E S A F E T Y P R O J E C T