Creative Consul nt
2009 - current
Ebby Rane — Led PR and marketing initiatves for North American and UK launch of a new, luxury travel
brand, garnering over 3 million dollars in North American media coverage in less than one year.
Women of Influence — Developed and led marketing strategy and implementaiton of company wide
rebrand across multiple platforms including digital, media, advertisements, events and education.
enRoute Magazine — Produced VIP event for Canada’s Best New Restaurants program featuring
award-winning Canadian chefs and sponsors including Air Canada, Land Rover, Jaguar and Bulova.
Agility CMS — Co-developed and launched new content website geared towards publishing and
media industry, managed all trade and B2B PR, communications, marketing and events.
I offer a hybrid expertise
that brings the best
of creative marketing
The Kit Magazine (Torstar) — Launch management of Canada’s first digital beauty magazine including
concept, creative and content direction, brand development, partnerships, PR, promotions and sales.
Parents Canada Magazine — Development of new media kit including content, creative direction and
introduction of new publicaiton into existing portfolio.
Toronto Life, FASHION Magazine, Where, Weddingbells, Mariage Québec, Ottawa Magazine and former
titles Canadian Family, FASHION18, Gardening Life, Wish
Vice President Creative Marketing January 2008—March 2009
Group Director Creative Marketing November 2005—January 2008
Acting Associate Publisher January 2005—July 2005
Director Marketing & Communications March 2003—November 2005
branding & re-branding
communication & pr
content & copy creation
• oversaw marketing initiatives for 10 of Canada’s leading magazines and their respective websites
• led an in-house creative agency charged with marketing, design and sales promotion support
• key divisional point person for marketing, event, communications and environmental initiatives
• created, sold and executed integrated multi-media programs for national and retail clients
• tracked and presented budgets, revenue, business plans and strategy to President and senior team
• evaluated, sourced and developed consumer and trade sponsorship opportunities
• provided solutions, support and systems for national and retail sales teams across Canada
process & implementation
• contributed to the launch of 4 new magazine titles including research, concept, PR and marketing
• created new revenue opportunities by introducing event and creative agency services for clients
• selected by SJC to create media plan and creative for launch of Toronto Life Square (Yonge/Dundas)
• selected by CEO Tony Gagliano to lead Environmental Task Force for Media division
• appointed to create national campaign creative for Sears with sister platform Pi Media
• charged with development, management and vision for re-launch of corporate website
• implemented new marketing process system, shared drive and company wide process to access resources
• developed new corporate vision, related collaterals and branding including design and content
• key corporate contact for L’Oréal (largest advertiser), received recognition in STRATEGY Magazine
• significantly heightened brand awareness by securing ongoing broadcast and other media partnerships
(Formerly CTV/Chum Television) Citytv, MuchMusic, Bravo!, Space, MuchMoreMusic, Star!, Access, CLT,
Drive-In Classics, SexTV, FashionTelevision, BookTelevision, MuchVibe, MuchLoud, MusiquePlus, MusiMax
Advertising Manager April 2002—March 2003
Promotions Supervisor June 1997—April 2002
• responsible for determining and executing trade and consumer advertising (budget of $6 million)
• strategic planning and execution of print, radio, TV and outdoor campaigns
• managed creative briefs and directed advertising agency on all media planning and investment
• evaluated and managed sponsorship of trade, community, cultural and proprietary events
• presented annual advertising strategies to station General Managers
• developed and managed media plans for the launch of new CHUM digital channels
• management of station proprietary and sales promotions for Entertainment category
• managed process for media bookings, creative briefs, production schedules, legalities and fulfillment
• provided creative direction and copy for TV spots, on-air mentions, print and digital content
• created, implemented and managed a cross-promotional system and policies for CHUM TV and radio
20th Century Fox Adidas Air
• contributed to creative content for multiple award-winning advertisements
• extensive worldwide travel with clients, promotional winners and production crews for fulfillment
Tourism Armani Avon Beechnut
• developed an internal traffic, approval and archival system for specialty and digital networks
• played an active role in annual MuchMusic productions including Temp & VJ Search, MMVAs
Browns Cadbury Canada’s Walk
try Us on for size
ON NEwSStANdS NOw!
EN kIOSquE MAINtENANt !
Get Social with the
Search 1,000+ Find good
REsTauRanTs stuff cheap
enter to win!
Due West/Canada Goose
431 Queen St. W.
222 King St. E.
3350 Dufferin St.
The Bronze Frog Gallery
Fortunes Fine Jewellers
1901 Avenue Rd.
H. HALPERN ESQ.
Daniel Espinosa Jewelry
Whole Foods Market
87 Avenue Rd.
The Olde Hide House/Acton Leather Co.
GOOD FOOD TO GO
ways to feel great now!
BARS AND CLUBS
WEST COAST CUISINE
Blue Water Café
Yaletown Brewing Co.
Goldfish Pacific Kitchen
Cactus Club Café
Rodney's Oyster House
Death By Chocolate
Browns Restaurant Bar
Glowbal Grill and Satay Bar
Euro Pastry House
VOLKSWAGEN CITY MAPS 2 OF 6 Look for next month's map of Calgary.
SPECIAL ADVERTISING SECTION
AND vESpA INvITE YOu TO SuBSCRIBE AND ENTER
FOR A CHANCE TO wIN A luxuRIOuS vESpA SCOOTER
It’s fun, it’s flirty, it’s just for you…
the Vespa LX50.
Lots of sports.
Lots of colour.
and Jane Connell, YSL Beauté
Whether you’re a local or a weekend visitor, Volkswagen City Maps
pinpoint Canada’s trendiest neighbourhoods. With its mix of renovated
warehouses, glass condos and cafés, boutiques and bars, Yaletown
has transformed the once industrious shoreline into a hip hangout.
trend the best red lips
BEAUTY IN A BEAT
RSVP by july 1: [email protected]
g e t t h e i n s i d e s c o o p o n w h at ’ s h o t
i n m a k e u p, s k i n c a r e a n d f r a g r a n c e
chinook centre, 6455 macleod trail sw
thuRSday, july 5th fRom 6Pm-9Pm
invite you and a friend to an
exclusive evening of maRtiniS & mingling
with induStRy exPeRtS
Check out the latest colours and
mix and match skirts with tops,
tops with pants, pants with jackets,
jackets with…you get the idea.
our revamped cityGuide offers 89
neighbourhood profiles, interactive
maps, recession-proof buying
zones and tips for condo seekers
dispatches from the front lines
of the restaurant scene by teo paul,
a young chef trying to open a
slow-food restaurant on the
Real Estate Guide
TOwN ON YOuR HOT vESpA SCOOTER:
• meeting your
• shopping for a sexy pair of shoes
• parking almost anywhere
• be the envy of all your friends who will want a scooter, too!
Jessica Satin Blouse,
$39.99, and Jessica
Tweed Green Plaid
Capri Pants, $49.99.
Ceri Marsh, editor-in-chief, FASHION
Sue Kuruvilla, Vespa, and Priscilla Yu
Jeremy Laing, designer
Mirella Lopez and Caroline Landry, YSL Beauté
Table Lamp, $89.99.
Comrags designers Judy
Cornish and Joyce Gunhouse
CeleBrAting 30 yeArS of Bringing tHe World of fASHion Home
On October 11, the fashion elite came out to fete FASHION Magazine’s 30th anniversary.
The site? A glammed-up Moss Park Armoury, outfitted in red carpet, the ultimate catwalk,
high-fashion photographers to capture your every move, and a fabulous dinner prepared
by Jamie Kennedy. Go to fashionmagazine.com for a full report: our picks for the best
dressed, snapshots from the carpet, a video that brings you inside the party and much more.
ENTER AT fashionmagazine.com/VesPa
FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN.
FASHION’s features editor,
and writer David Livingstone
Julie Enfield, Ports 1961
Amy Verner, Globe and Mail
writer, and Raymond Perkins, Roots
WitH SpeCiAl tHAnkS to our SponSorS:
Andrew Kretz, Francisca Sinn, Tina Debeer,
Nikisha Reyes-Grange, Jason McPhail, all with Virgin Mobile
Lilia Lozinski, senior VP
and group publisher, FASHION
Clean lines and old-world
elegance bring an air of
sophistication to homes
and wardrobes this fall
Most items are available at Sears department stores. Some items are also in Sears catalogues and at sears.ca.
Prices shown are current at press time. Prices and availability subject to change.
Roslyn Griffith-Hall, stylist
Portfolio @ michellekalman.ca
Susie Sheffman, FASHION’s fashion director,
and Gabor Jurina, photographer
No purchase necessary. For full contest rules, regulations and prize details, visit www.fashionmagazine.com/vespa.
and model Rhonda D’Amour
Universal Music Wal-Mart Warner
Virgin Music Virgin Mobile YSL
RBC Revlon Royal Doulton Sally
Music West49 Winners Vespa
siGn uP the best events
today! and top stories from
wine & Food
restaurant openings, wine releases
and the latest food trends
Paramount P&G PepsiCo Porter
Stay city-Savvy with our
updateS, delivered directly
to your inbox
Florals? Find our top picks
in the entertaining cityGuide.
plus, check out hundreds of
other city favourites at:
Whether for work or for play–the
clothes you wear are an expression
of who you are. Follow your instincts
and let colour play a part in your life.
The adidas fall collection introduces
deep corals with creamy clay, sexy
scarlet, bold bordeux and classic black.
Hooded jackets, sleek skate tops,
army pants, ‘trac’ tops, pinstripe polos
and long-sleeve tees set the backdrop for the legend of the 3-Stripes.
Nivea Nokia Oscar de la Renta
20s 30s 40s 50s 60s
If you are an an athlete or a fan,
these two questions have the same
answer. As athletes, sport adds colour
to our lives through competition,
performance, emotion, or, by simply
wearing our favourite red shorts
during a morning run. As fans, we
define ourselves by the colours found
in sport–from cycling’s yellow jersey
to golf’s green jacket to a favourite
team’s jersey. The adidas collection
takes its inspiration from the sports
that add colour to our lives and
forever bind us as athletes and fans.
Colour captures the raw emotions of
sport and layers it with the 3-Stripes,
the authentic symbol of sport.
What inspires you?
Stella Artois The Cooperators TIFF
Eyes on Church
483½ Church St.
FOR YOUR EXCLUSIVE ALLURING AWARDS UPDATE
Vacations Skechers Sony Music
The Main Course
Accessories by Eva
402 Eglinton Ave. W.
...And enter to win a $100 gift certificate for each of the 40 featured shops!
2 OF 6
Colour is the
BODY CAre KIT
Toronto Life’s expert shoppers recommend a full range
What colour is sport?
Holiday Gift Guide
F E AT U R E
for every budget and every taste, complete with
F A S H I O N M What
A G A Z Icolour
N E . C Oisoflistings
and maps to make this year’s shopping a snap
on-line thiS dECEmBER
V O T E
Mary Kay McDonalds Medecis
Sephora Schwartzkopf Signature
Christian Hasler & Helen Kim Creations
YOU COULD WIN ONE OF 10 CHANEL ALLURE HOMME SPORT PRIZES
fabric of sport.
Hansen Scotia Bank Scotts Sears
FREE mEals conteSt
Lise Watier Loblaws Maybelline
Win a $4,000
In honour of Toronto Life’s 40th Anniversary,
we bring you 40 colourful shopping
experiences in and around the city.
Shop to your heart’s content...
SPECIAL ADVERTISING FEATURE
Levis Live Nation L’Oreal Labatt’s
FA S H I O N M A G A Z I N E . C O M
13 MEN 4CATEGORIES
Kellogs Kelowna Tourism Kraft
preview our 30th features
Book now to be part of
this special collector’s issue!
THE MEN WE LOVE
THE 2005 MOST ALLURING CANADIAN AWARDSalways
ce toril 1s
Garnier Green Belt Foundation
ON NEWSSTANDS: OCTOBER 22, 2007
Bachelor of Applied Arts, School of Radio and Television Ryerson University, Toronto (1992—1995)
Estee Lauder Exclusive Resorts
it’s OUR 30th
Deloitte Diageo Elizabeth Arden
City of Toronto Clinique Crayola
of Fame Canadian Tire Chanel
Sandra Shin and
Lisa Mendonça, Arthur Mendonça
Alvin Poon and Philippe
Meyersohn, GE Profile
Take control of your lashes and get the look you
want by choosing the best mascara for you
MOST WOMEN CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT THEIR
MASCARA. In addition to deﬁning eyes, mascara
can thicken, curl and lengthen lashes. Even if you
don’t have time for any other makeup, mascara
makes you look and feel “polished.” Whether
it’s the ﬁnishing touch to full makeup or a light
application for a more discreet look, mascara
emphasizes and widens the eye.
There are so many choices and every woman’s
personal needs are different. The good news is
that great mascara doesn’t have to be expensive,
so it can be fun to try the different types to see
which one works best for you.
Modern formulations can thicken, lengthen and
curl lashes without smudging. “Most mascaras are
designed so that a natural look can be achieved
with one or two coats,” says L’Oréal Paris Makeup
Artist Eddie Maleterre. “For a more sophisticated
or intense look, all you need is to add more.” For
a natural daytime look, the general rule is to only
coat the top lashes. For nighttime drama, layer on
a second coat and lightly apply to bottom lashes.