Hidrografia en la region
Hydrography in Latin America
"Latin America regions" by MexicanGoldenEagle - Geografía Quinto Grado (Geography, Fifth Grade)Own work. Licensed under CC
BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Latin_America_regions.svg#mediaviewer/File:Latin_America_regions.svg
Not only the Hydrographic Services produce Hydrographic data.
Hydrographic Data producers
HO = National Hydrographic Services
There are 19 National Hydrographic Services.
They represent less than 4% of the total number of Hydrographic Data Producers
in those countries.
Some take guidance from HO
Some take guidance from IHO
Some take no guidance
• In conclusion there are many
people conducting hydrographic
surveys in the Region.
And therefore, we could continue to ask:
• Why are there that many Hydrographers or
Companies doing Hydrography?
• Are they all Hydrographers?
• How much data do they generate?
• What about the quality of that data?
• What specs do they follow?
• What to do about it?
13. Oil Industry
12. Ports Operations
• Why are there that many
Hydrographers or Companies doing
11. Coastal Engineering
10. Marine Geology
Definitely: Hydrography is not only for charting anymore!
HYPACK Users in the Region.
Classification made from our database
Are they all Hydrographers?
• Basically NO. They are mainly topographers,
but you can find all kind of professions.
• Hydrographers comes mostly from Navy
and works at the NHS.
• Some talks about RTK Tides, combining
Lidar and MB, dynamic draft, etc.
• And others wants to install Tide Gauges on
board his Dredge, because someone told
him that Tide was important.
• Some collect data with the latest GPS or
Echosounders, other still uses lead lines and
• There are no Universities teaching
How much data do they generate?
• Less than a NHS, but several of them
report to conduct between 10 to 15
surveys a year.
• Cover small, specific areas.
What about the quality of that
• In some cases, “magic” numbers. No
metadata, no explanation about how do
they obtain those numbers.
• In General, there are no requirements for
QA or QC
• You can find anything:
• Tide gauge installed on a Dredge
• Also concerns about cms accuracy
and high Resolution.
• No HS
• Not even aware they can be a
• In General, there is no awareness of
• There are No Universities teaching
• There are No options to discuss
• There are very few opportunities to find
out about new developments
• No Scenarios where to present their
• No Shows to view new equipment.
• No discussions about the trends in this
• No Certification process
Why as a Chapter?
There is NO previous experience in this type of Organizations.
Take advantage of a Successful Society, already producing benefits for
Facilitate the integration within the Different Countries.
Important number of Hydrographers only in some Countries
Initial Step toward National Societies or a more Broader THSOA
Take benefit from Corporate Members that already have business in