Upload a video to YouTube and embed it in a D2L Discussion Post
Upload a video to YouTube and
embed it in a D2L Discussion
This tutorial will show you how to upload a video to YouTube
using the Unlisted feature and embed the video in a D2L
Discussion Post. The Unlisted feature in YouTube prevent the
video from being seen by the general public. If you embed the
Unlisted video in a D2L Discussion Post, only the instructor
and students in your course can see the video!
Before you begin, you must:
1. Have a YouTube account. If you do not have a YouTube
2. Have desktop access to a video file the is supported by
YouTube. For a list of supported video file formats see:
1. Go to https://www.youtube.com/ and click the [Sign In]
1. Once logged-in, click the [Upload] button.
Step #3 – OPTIONAL
If your video is over 15 minutes, you will need to verify your
YouTube account is active (by providing YouTube with a mobile
number) before you can upload your video.
1. If you are uploading a video that is over 15 minutes and
you see the “Upload HD videos in various formats up to
15 minutes” message, click the [Increase your limit]
Step #3b – OPTIONAL
1. To verify your YouTube account, select [Voice call] or
2. Enter your phone number.
3. Click [Submit].
YouTube will either call or text you a verification number.
Place this number in the box when prompted and continue to the
1. To upload your video, click the [Upload] button.
1. Browse to the location on your computer where you have
stored your video file. Select the file.
2. Click [Open].
1. The video file will begin uploading. You can monitor the
progress in the progress bar.
2. Enter a [Title] for your video.
1. Pull down the arrow under [Privacy Settings]. Select
1. Once the file has been uploaded, YouTube will generate a
link to the video. Click this link to view the video and
obtain the Embed Code necessary for D2L.
Step #9a OPTIONAL – additional methods
for finding your video
1. You may also click the [Video Manager] if you’d like to
browse for your video or select a different video.
Step #9b OPTIONAL – additional methods
for finding your video
1. You can also find your video under [Video Manager] in
2. Click the title to view the video and obtain the Embed
Code necessary for D2L.
Once you are are viewing your video, you can obtain the Embed
Code necessary for D2L:
1. Click the [Share] button at the bottom of your video.
2. Click the [Embed] button.
3. UNCHECK the box in front of [Show suggested videos when
the video finishes].
4. CHECK the box in front of [Use old embed code].
5. Click into the box with the embed code to highlight the
text. Copy the text by hitting [CTRL+C] on your PC
keyboard or [Command+C] on your Mac keyboard.
Once the Youtube embed code is copied to your clipboard, you
can paste the code into a Discussion Post in D2L using the
1. Log in to D2L (http://d2l.uwm.edu) and enter your course
site. Once you are in your course site, click on
[Discussions] in the upper navigation bar.
1. Click on the appropriate Discussion topic or this
1. Click the [Start a New Thread] button.
1. In the editor, click the small icon that looks like a
play, stop, rewind, and fast forward button, called
1. A new window will pop up. Click the button [Enter Embed
2. Paste the embed code that you copied from Step #11 into
the [Embed code:] window.
3. Click [Next].
You will see a preview of your presentation in the window.
1. Click the [Insert] button.
1. Once you return to the [New Message Details] page, enter
a title for your post.
2. Click [Post].
You should see the presentation in your discussion post. You
(and your peers) can control the play and volume from here.