Hinge Dock Leveller NLS
Hinge Dock Leveller NLS
USER’S AND INSTRUCTIONS MANUAL
The user’s and instructions manual is an integral part of the supply of the machinery. The user’s and instructions manual contains: all
the documents stating the conformity of the machinery with existing regulations, the detailed description, the usage conditions
foreseen, suggestions, set-up, usage, maintenance and repair.
All the data that appear in the following manual must be consider approx.
Usage of the Dock leveller
Fundamental warnings related to safety
Description of the Dock leveller
Dimensions – capacity - structure
Hydraulic power pack
Cylinders and Connections
Severe dangerous situations
Page 1 of 19
Each machine has been manufactured according to the safety regulations presently in force.
Each machine must carry a permanently fixed identification label as the one shown below.
Each machine comes with a conformity declaration according to European regulation UNI CEI EN 45014.
If these machines are used according to all the dispositions contained in this user’s and instruction manual, there will be no harm
to the health of the user, in conformity to Directives 91/155/CE.
For each machine an annual check is necessary.
It is forbidden, in absence of Novoferm authorization to make any modifications
that could jeopardize safety.
Improper use , modification of safety devices, lack of maintenance, intervention carried out without
following the written procedures or by non-competent personnel, “nullifies all responsibility by
Novoferm” and consequently automatically ceases all forms of insurance or warranty.
Page 2 of 19
AIM OF THE
The dock leveller is a static or mobile equipment which is used to fill the distance between a loading
dock or similar loading areas and the loading surface of a vehicle that can be at different levels.
The dock leveller is not designed to lift or lower goods.
The operation is therefore not intended to lift the load, but only to modify the position of the dock
leveller, without any load.
The dock leveller is not suitable to carry loads if it is not perfectly resting in a balanced position on the
A safety area of 350 mm. on both sides must be foreseen.
The transport equipment width will then be equal to the dock leveller plate minus 700 mm.
Dock leveller width 1750 transport equipment width 1050 mm
Dock leveller width 2000 transport equipment width 1300 mm
Dock leveller width 2200 transport equipment width 1500 mm
The maximum dock leveller gradient, during loading operations, must not exceed 12.5% of its length.
The maximum dock leveller gradients are applied only when using forklifts. In the case of transpallet
usage, both manual or electrical, the gradient is to be reduced to 5 %.
If the dock leveller features a straight lip, use the dock leveller with negative gradients only; in case of
positive gradients there is in fact a impact risk.
The maximum usage gradient is shown by means of orange fluorescent stripes placed on the swinging
side panels. In case these stripes are visible, the dock leveller must not be used.
When in the resting position, the dock leveller lip must be in a perfect vertical position, laying on its
appropriate supports and the dock leveller must form a continuous surface with the floor.
Only in this position the load can pass over the dock leveller, in whatever direction.
Transit over the dock leveller during loading / unloading operations is allowed only if the lip is perfectly
extended and laying for its entire length on the vehicle surface.
The load can pass on the dock leveller only in the longitudinal direction (axis dock leveller-lorry tray).
While in the working position, the dock leveller must be left free of swinging both vertically and
crosswise. Vertical swinging is allowed by releasing the working controls. Crosswise swinging, that
equals to 5% of the total dock leveller length approximately, is obtained as a result of the particular
Room temperature must be between –10° and + 40° degrees Celsius.
Page 3 of 19
All maintenance and/or repair operations must be performed by a ‘competent person’. The European
regulation EN 1398 defines as a competent person: ‘who that, according to the experience and the
technical training received has sufficient knowledge in the dock leveller field and has familiarity with
the dock leveller adjustment to allow its functioning’.
It is strictly forbidden to carry out maintenance or repairs on a working dock leveller; operations like
cleaning, adjustment or repairs need to be performed with the dock leveller standing still.
All maintenance or repairs operations that must be done under the dock leveller must be carried out
without any load and after inserting the maintenance support device.
Verify the maintenance setting, because uncorrected works could have broken it.
BEFORE EACH USE
Verify that the dock leveller has not suffered any external damage after a collision.
Also verify that both the rear and front hinges are free from debris and/or dirt, that could jeopardize the total and/or partial rotation of
This is not really a maintenance operation, but only a simple visual check of tidiness of the working area.
This kind of check must be performed by the operator each time there is the loading/unloading operation of a new lorry, see also on
MAINTENANCE AND ANNUAL CHECKS
• At least once every year dock levellers must undergo all checks, as described on page 17
• The user will then have to keep all the test certificates and show them on request by the Competent Authorities.
Oil duration depends on different factors like: amount of working hours, presence of debris/impurities, possible humidity; the oil has
to be replaced when features like limpidity or fluidity are missing.
In any case it will be necessary to replace the oil every 3 years.
Every 6 years it will be necessary to replace all flexible hydraulic pipes
OUT OF ORDER
During the maintenance phases, must be exposed on the machine, in a noticeable way, the appropriate advertising poster of “Out of
order maintenance”. To carry on this operation is necessary to commutate the general switch on OFF position, and lock it on.
Page 4 of 19
FUNDAMENTAL WARNING RELATED TO SAFETY
All dock levellers feature all the necessary safeties to avoid, for what it is reasonably possible, every risk.
This is the case of machines that operate with electrical power tension, and that feature appliances moving and/or rotating, and
therefore it is required to operate with extreme care.
DOCK LEVELLER USERS
All people that use the dock levellers must be 18 years of age or older. These people must be expressly put in charge by the
Company to operate the dock levellers, not before a proper training period and after having carefully read the user’s and instruction
SCOPE OF THE DOCK LEVELLER
The dock leveller is a static equipment fit to level all differences in height and gaps between a loading point (or similar loading areas)
and the surface of a vehicle, and designed solely to allow loading (or unloading) operations.
Therefore the functioning is not intended to lift the load, but only to modify the position of the dock leveller, without any load.
The dock leveller is not suitable to carry loads if it is not perfectly laying in a balanced way on the surface of the vehicle.
USE OF THE DOCK LEVELLER
Use the dock leveller only according to the directions and only if it is in perfect technical condition. Remove and/or have removed
whatever matter that could jeopardize safety.
Before operating the up and/or down controls, check that nobody could be in a situation of danger due to the motion of the dock
Page 5 of 19
DIMENSIONS - CAPACITY - STRUCTURE
The nominal capacity of our dock levellers is 6.000 Kg., of which 90%, that is to say 5.400 Kg., can sit on a single axis of the forklift if
it has its front wheels at least 250 mm. wide, and that the single axis weight on a single wheel is therefore equal to 2.700 kg.
For all loading operations it is possible to use forklifts, electrical or manual transpallets or other similar equipment.
It is expressly forbidden to use forklifts weighing more than 6.000 Kg. when fully loaded.
G and H values are referring to models featuring bent lip only the value “E” is referring only to the dock leveller with side
walls (method B, C, D1, D2 and E),for the pit mounted (method A) type E=B
STRUCTURE – SAFETY VALVE OPERATION
Inserted at the base of the raising cylinder of the dock leveller there is a balanced valve, that is activated when it is necessary to
reduce the lowering speed of the dock leveller to 0.05 m/s in case the speed suddenly increases (e.g.: a lorry moves before the end
of the loading / unloading operation is completed).
Warning: the operation of the safety valve with a load of more than 2.000 Kg. could damage the dock
Leveller structure permanently.
Page 6 of 19
All controls must be positioned in a way that the operator can observe all the movements of both the dock leveller and the load.
Controls are marked and easily understandable.
1. Main Switch
2. Operation button
• Let the lorry get close by following the instructions written at the previous page
• Turn the main switch (1) in the ON position, which signals that the panel is fed: after this operation the dock leveller is ready to
• Press the operation button (2), wait until the dock leveller reaches its maximum inclination and the lip is completely open, being a
continuous line with the dock leveller plate.
• Release the operation button and it will start to lower by gravity until reaching the lorry’s box; it is now free to float and ready for
the loading/unloading operations.
• When all loading/unloading operations are finished, press the operation button and wait for the lip to get completely folded.
• Release the operation button and wait until the dock leveller gets to its resting position, with the lip perfectly resting on its lateral
• Rotate the main switch (1) in the OFF position, which signals that the panel is no longer fed; after this operation the dock leveller
can no longer work.
If the main switch is rotated in the OFF position, the dock leveller will stay still in whichever
position. To restore the functioning it is necessary to rotate it in an anticlockwise way in ON
position and press the operation button.
If the voltage fails, the dock leveller will stay still in whichever position. To restore the cycle
it is necessary (when the voltage resets) to press the operation button that, when released,
will get the floating dock leveller.
Page 7 of 19
ELECTRIC DIAGRAMS NLS
Page 8 of 19
ELECTRIC DIAGRAMS NLS
Page 9 of 19
ELECTRIC DIAGRAMS NLS
Page 10 of 19
ELECTRIC DIAGRAMS NLS
For spare parts please refer to the names on each separate component.
For teleruptors and thermal relays it is possible to use without problems Telemecanique, ABB, Siemens etc.
Cable length to the hydraulic power pack: 8 m
The electric panel is always supplied to work with a feeding voltage of 400. However, it’s possible to make it working with a feeding
voltage of 240V changing two wires on the electric ….
For more details, see the following diagram:
Page 11 of 19
HYDRAULIC DIAGRAM S-05
ref. Power pack
ref. Power pack
ref. Power pack
Max pressure valve VM15
Valve VE1-NC cav. V096004
Solenoid S2-CE 24Vdc
Adjustment field 30 - 120 bar
Adjustment field 30 - 120 bar
Piloted valve to close
filtering max 90 micron
Page 12 of 19
HYDRAULIC PLUNGED MOTOR POWER PACK
MOTOR: • Power: 0,75 Kw
• Nr. Poles: 2 (2780 turns/min.)
• Nominal tension 230 - 400 V, 50 Hz with tolerance on tension and frequency data ± 5%.
• Absorption: 3.6A to 230V; 2.1A to 400V
• ca/cn ratio: 2.8 - cos = 0.78
• Intermittent service S2 = 5 minutes
• Type CV6400800C (cubic capacity 1,6 cc)
• Gear type, with fixed capacity 4.5 lt./min.
• It is forbidden to invert the sense of rotation of the pump, even if it is for brief periods of time.
Warning: If the pump works without intaking oil, it will be damaged in an irreparable way
• Made of metallic nets, filtering capacity: 90 microns
• Agip ARNICA 22 - Quantity: 4.5 litres
• The power pack oil plug features an internal air filter, it has a diameter of ½ inch.
• Dismount the power pack and position it on the floor or an appropriate working bench; open then the power pack cover.
• Put a container under the plug to replace the oil (placed on the rear power pack side), unscrew the plug and wait until the power
pack is empty.
• Remove possible sediments from the bottom of the tank.
• Dismount the pump filter and clean it with fuel oil; if the filter happens to be jammed, then it is necessary to replace it.
• Add oil equal or with similar features to the one used and filtered with a filtration value equal or less than 90 microns.
• Warning; if sediment or impurities are found in the tank, it is also necessary to dismount all cylinders and pipes and to clean and
wash them with fuel oil.
• Do not dispose the oil in sewers or rivers. It is necessary to collect and bring it to the Competent Authorities for its disposal (DPR
• After finish up re-assembling the power pack it is necessary to perform the operation of air clearing; to do so it is sufficient to
make the dock leveler go up and down 3-4 times.
Page 13 of 19
HYDRAULIC OIL AGIP ARNICA 22
EQUIVALENT HYDRAULIC OILS
Viscosity at 40° C
SHELL – TELLUS T 22
Viscosity at 100° C
ESSO - INVAROL EP 22
MOBIL - DTE 11
Inflammability edge (°C)
CASTROL – HYSPIN AWH 22
Flowing edge (°C)
Density at 15° C
IDENTIFICATION OF DANGERS
This product, when used in the foreseen proper usage conditions, does not present any risk to the user. However, repeated and
extended contact, together with scarce personal hygiene, can cause skin irritation and contact dermatitis.
FIRST AID PROCEDURES
Wash thoroughly with soap and water
Irrigate the area with abundant water, if the irritation persists contact a specialist
Do not provoke vomiting, in order to avoid inhalation of the product to the lungs, immediately call for a
Inhalation of the
If, in the case of spontaneous vomiting there is the reasonable suspicion of inhalation of the product to
the lungs, transport the patient with extreme urgency to the nearest hospital.
In case of exposure to an elevated concentration of oil steams, transport the patient to a steam free area
and call for a doctor
FIRE PREVENTION PROCEDURES
• To extinguish fire use: CO2 foam, chemical dust: avoid using water extinguishers.
• Cover all machinery not touched by fire with foam or soil.
• Cool down all surfaces not touched by fire with water.
ACCIDENTAL LEAKING PROCEDURES
Contain the leakage of the product with sand or soil, then collect it and send it to be reduced to
Remove the shed product using mechanical means, then inform the Authorities about the
Do not dispose of the oil in sewers or rivers. It is necessary to collect and bring it to the Competent Authorities for its disposal.
Oil duration depends on different factors like: amount of working hours, presence of debris/impurities, possible humidity; it has to be
replaced when features like limpidity or fluidity are missing.
In any case it is necessary to replace the oil at least every 3 years. Quantity 4.5 litres
Page 14 of 19
CYLINDERS AND FLEXIBLE PIPES
RAISING CYLINDER GASKETS
MOD. POLYPAC GASKET
LIP CYLINDER GASKETS
All mounting, dismounting or adjustment operations that must be done under the dock leveller must be carried
out after inserting the maintenance support device.
Beware that all max. pressure valves must be regulated only by authorized personnel, which have to seal all
valves after regulation according to the existing Safety Rules.
Page 15 of 19
In case of improper functioning of the dock leveller it is suggested firstly to carry out the following checks :
• Carry out a careful visual check of the dock leveller in its entirety, making sure that the main structure does not have
deformations, damages and / or bumps that could jeopardize the proper functioning.
• Check that the flexible pipes are not bent excessively, are not squeezed or damaged.
• Check that all bolts, nuts and joints to the flexible pipes are not loose and that there is not any oil leakage.
• Make sure that all electric wires are not disconnected or cut.
• Also check that there are not any mechanical obstacles that can block the correct total and/or partial sequence of the dock
leveller movements . In fact, sometimes the dock leveller can be obstructed in its movements by impurities or foreign bodies.
1: the electric motor does not start
The dock leveller does not
2: the electric motor is burnt
The dock leveller moves in
Check the power feeding, all contactors and the
motor safety device
Replace the electric motor
3: the sense of rotation of the motor is not correct
Invert the feeding phases
1: the side protections are jammed
Clean the slidings and set up them manually
2: foreign bodies in the rear and front hinges
Remove dirt or foreign bodies
3: the oil level is insufficient
Add hydraulic oil
4: the dock leveller is blocked by a mechanical
Remove the obstacle
1: the motor is working with two phases or is Check the electric connection and the line tension
2: oil leakages from a pipeline
The dock leveller raises
Fasten the joints
3: the dock leveller is overloaded, the max Remove the load
pressure valve has intervened
4: the pump filter is jammed
Dismount and clean the filter (replace it if needed)
5: air intaking in the intaking pipe
Check the fastening
6: leakage from the valve group due to melting Replace the valve group
Page 16 of 19
The dock leveller does not
1: no feeding to the electrovalve
Check the electric system
2: the electrovalve coil is burnt
Replace the coil
3: the support device is inserted
Remove the support device
4: the safety valve activates because the load has Remove the load
been loaded on the dock leveller without the lip
resting properly on the lorry tray
5: the safety valve activates because of excessive Replace the oil
density of the oil due to presence of dirt
6: the safety valve activates because of excessive Replace the oil with one suitable for lower
density of the oil due to room temperature less temperatures
than - 10° C.
Page 17 of 19
Once a year, all dock levellers must undergo tests and checks. The checks, besides verifying suitability to safety requirements and
dimensioning, must in particular include:
• Visual checks concerning wearing and external damage.
• Check of all functions (functioning cycle)
• Check of the presence and efficiency of all safety installations (automatic safety device check and max pression valve
It is necessary to perform the following checks and interventions:
• Check that the main structure of the dock leveller does not show any deformation, damage or bumps that could jeopardize its
• Check that the support device of the dock leveller is perfectly joined with it, that its hinge is in good condition and that it fits
correctly into its seat.
• Check that there are the yellow/black stripes on the sides of the plate and on the side panels of the chassis; check that they are
not worn out and still perfectly visible.
• Check the lateral flexibility of the dock leveller, which must equal approximately 5% of its total length.
• Check that the cylinder is free of damage, scratches, rust or foreign bodies on the hinge of the piston.
• Check that the flexible pipes are not bent excessively, squeezed or damaged.
• Check that the electric wires are not cut or worn out.
• Check that all bolts, nuts, joints and pipes are not loose and that there is not any leakage of oil from the cylinder and from the
• Clean the hinging of the lip if necessary.
Beware that it is necessary to replace the power pack oil at least once every 3 years.
Also remember that after a working period of 6 years it is necessary to replace all flexible pipes.
Every annual check needs to be recorded using its appropriate form. Lack of recording of this form
will automatically nullify every form of insurance and/or warranty.
Page 18 of 19
SEVERE DANGEROUS SITUATIONS
It’s important to underline that there are situations that can cause mortal danger.
Lorry approach phase
Beware that no operator and no obstruction should be between the dock and the retreating truck.
Dock leveller location phase
The user must be in place to follow easily all the dock leveller motions. This ensures him to action the controls only when the
positioning is without the presence of loads, or there are not people on or in the vicinity of the dock leveller.
The user authorizes the carry/unload only when the lip is correctly laying on the lorry tray, he can’t see the orange stripes that
marked the maximum working gradient; the driver has provided the vehicle keys.
The forklift fully loaded weight including the operator, must not be greater than nominal carrying showed on the plate (6000
The loading process must be carried out with forklifts for which the difference between the lorry tray width and the lifting device
width should be less than 700 mm.
Don’t use the ramp for rising people.
The load overtake on the dock leveller is allowed only if the lip should be in a perfect vertical position, correctly laid on its
supports and the dock leveller must form a continuous surface with the floor.
Make sure that the safety maintenance bar is properly engaged.
Verify that the bar-fixed support has not been damaged by previously incorrectly usages.
Don’t use the leveller if you can see
sign of safety systems tampering.
Page 19 of 19