How to apply for a Co-op Work Permit and SIN



How to apply for a Co-op Work Permit and SIN
How to apply for a Co-op Work Permit and SIN
Co-op Work Permits are required for: Co-op field placements, internships,
externships and off-campus volunteer work whether paid or unpaid.
See your program Co-op coordinator for a letter. Apply two months before you need
this permit. (See sample below on Page 3)
Click on:
Also see more information about this procedure.
Guide 5580 - Applying for a Work Permit - Student Guide
Click on:
From CIC:
New application form: As of July 31st, 2012, all applicants must complete and sign the new
Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker [IMM 5710].
Applicants are encouraged to complete the form electronically and validate the information to
generate 2D barcodes before printing. To ensure you have the most recent application form,
please use the link to the application form.
All Student Work Permit applications must include the following:
Completed Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in
Canada as a Worker (Form IMM 5710 Validated with Bar Codes)
Completed Document Checklist (IMM 5583)
Photocopies of passport “picture page” clearly showing the passport number, the
dates of issue and expiry, name and date of birth, the stamp made by Canadian
authorities of most recent entry into Canada and other marked pages.
Original letter provided by the institution stating that your intended employment
is an essential part of your program.
Note: You can only begin working AFTER you receive a co-op work permit.
Contact Wendy at 416-491-5050 Ext. 26491 or: [email protected] and
inform her that you are registered for co-op for the semester. Purchase health insurance
for the duration of the co-op semester.
Revised October 12, 2012
FORM NAS-2120-01-12.
If you are being paid for your co-op, internship or externship you must apply for a Social
Insurance Number (SIN) for income tax purposes.
Click on:
Social Insurance Number (SIN) application form (NAS 2120-01-12)
Once you have been hired or are working on your co-op, take your company/employer
contract along with your Co-op Work Permit and completed SIN form to the nearest CIC
Service Centre. There is no charge to apply for the SIN.
Service Canada offices near Seneca:
Major offices include:
Scarborough Service Centre
Toronto - Willowdale Service Centre
Canada Centre, Floor 1
Joseph Shepard Building, Floor 1
200 Town Centre Court
4900 Yonge Street
Scarborough, ON
North York, ON
M2N 6A8
Revised October 12, 2012
Seneca College
8 The Seneca Way
Markham, Ontario.
L3R 5Y1
October 20XX
Citizenship and Immigration - Work Permit
6212 - 55th Avenue, Unit 555
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6
To whom it may concern:
RE: Field Placement status for (Student Name and Number)
This letter confirms that (Student’s Name) is enrolled in the _________ Program at
Seneca College.
This placement is a mandatory component and requirement of the program to graduate.
Students must complete a 150 hour field placement. This field placement is completed
on a part-time basis during the school term.
Please extend (Student’s Name) the right to complete the program, by granting
him/her the right to work for a minimum of 150 hours. This course must be completed
by ____________________.
It would be greatly appreciated if (Student’s Name) Co-op work permit could
be expedited as soon as possible.
Coordinator’s Name (signed)
Revised October 12, 2012