How to Clean Your Fistula Clamps after Dialysis UHN
How to Clean Your Fistula Clamps
Information for patients and families
After each dialysis treatment:
1. Find a reusable container with a tight fitting lid. It should be big enough to
fit your fistula clamps and at least 1 litre of water.
2. Fill the container with 1 litre of fresh tap water. Add about 1 tablespoon of
bleach (for example, Javex®). This makes the cleaning solution.
3. Rinse or wash your clamps well under running water to remove any blood.
4. Put your clamps in the container. They should be completely covered by
the cleaning solution.
5. Put the lid on the container and let the clamps
soak for at least 20 minutes. Use a timer to
help you remember.
• Don’t let them soak longer than 60
minutes. The cleaning solution may rust
the metal on the clamps and cause them
• Don’t put other items in with
6. Remove clamps and rinse with running tap
7. Place clamps on a clean towel in a clean area. Let them dry completely.
8. Store your clamps in a plastic bag between dialysis treatments.
9. Empty the cleaning solution from the container. Don’t reuse the cleaning
solution. Rinse the container.
Please visit the UHN Patient Education website for more health information: www.uhnpatienteducation.ca
© 2013 University Health Network. All rights reserved.
This information is to be used for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for professional
medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific
medical condition. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for non-commercial personal use only.
Author: Debra Appleton; Reviewed by Hemoquality Committee
Form: D-5350 (02/2014)