A) 4.5 10 B) 9.0 10 C) 5.4 10 D) 1.1 l0 1. A 75
1. A 75-kilogram bicyclist coasts down a hill at a constant
speed of 12 meters per second. What is the kinetic
energy of the bicyclist?
10 2 J
10 3 J
7. As shown in the diagram below, a student exerts an
average force of 600. newtons on a rope to lift a
50.0-kilogram crate a vertical distance of 3.00 meters.
10 2 J
l0 4 J
2. A car travels at constant speed v up a hill from point A to
point B, as shown in the diagram below.
As the car travels from A to B, its gravitational potential
Compared to the work done by the student, the
gravitational potential energy gained by the crate is
A) exactly the same
C) 330 J more
increases and its kinetic energy decreases
increases and its kinetic energy remains the same
remains the same and its kinetic energy decreases
remains the same and its kinetic energy remains the
3. While riding a chairlift, a 55-kilogram skier is raised a
vertical distance of 370 meters. What is the total change
in the skier’s gravitational potential energy?
B) 330 J less
D) 150 J more
8. A small electric motor is used to lift a 0.50-kilogram
mass at constant speed. If the mass is lifted a vertical
distance of 1.5 meters in 5.0 seconds, the average power
developed by the motor is
A) 0.15 W
C) 3.8 W
B) 1.5 W
D) 7.5 W
9. A 70.-kilogram cyclist develops 210 watts of power
while pedaling at a constant velocity of 7.0 meters per
second east. What average force is exerted eastward on
4. A spring gains 2.34 joules of elastic potential energy as it
the bicycle to maintain this constant speed?
is compressed 0.250 meter from its equilibrium position.
A) 490 N B) 30. N C) 3.0 N D) 0 N
What is the spring constant of this spring?
A) 5.4 × 10 1J
C) 2.0 × 10 4 J
B) 5.4 × 10 2 J
D) 2.0 × 10 5 J
A) 9.36 N/m
C) 37.4 N/m
B) 18.7 N/m
D) 74.9 N/m
5. As a box is pushed 30. meters across a horizontal floor
by a constant horizontal force of 25 newtons, the kinetic
energy of the box increases by 300. joules. How much
total internal energy is produced during this process?
A) 150 J B) 250 J C) 450 J D) 750 J
6. A horizontal force of 40 Newtons pushes a block along a
level table at a constant speed of 2 meters per second.
How much work is done on the block in 6 seconds?
A) 80 J
B) 120 J C) 240 J D) 480 J
10. What is the maximum height to which a motor having a
power rating of 20.4 watts can lift a 5.00-kilogram
stone vertically in 10.0 seconds?
A) 0.0416 m
C) 4.16 m
B) 0.408 m
D) 40.8 m