the Mini Tour PDF - Sioux City Railroad Museum

Comments

Transcription

the Mini Tour PDF - Sioux City Railroad Museum
A Mini Tour
Of the
Milwaukee Railroad Shops Historic District,
Sioux City, Iowa
1
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Section I – Buildings & Sturctures
The Engineers Tool Shed …………………………….........
The Roundhouse and Turntable …………….....................
Machine/Blacksmith Shop …………………………...........
The Car Shops ………………………………….................
The Sand House & Sand Tower #2 ………………............
The Coal Tower ……………………………………............
South End Water Closet ……………………….................
Lunch Room/Air Brake Shop ………………….................
List of Milwaukee Shop Buildings …………….................
Map of Complex…………………………………................
Section II – SHRA Rolling Stock & Other Equipment
Great Northern Steam Locomotive #1355 ……...................
SHRA #1 - 45 Ton Switcher Diesel Locomotive...................
8 Man U.S. Army Motor Car …………………................. ..
SLHX #1984 ……………………………………...................
Chicago & Northwestern Caboose # 11009 .........................
Northern Pacific Wood Caboose #1318................................
Chicago & Northwestern #160970 ..................................... ...
Chicago & Northwestern #162571 ..................................... ...
Burlington Northern Fruit Express #469 .............................
Shuttlewagon ..........................................................................
Northern Pacific Heavyweight Diner ....................................
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Heavyweight Combine ......
Milwaukee Road Diner #121 .................................................
Milwaukee Road Baggage/Dormer #1313 ............................
400 Truck .................................................................................
2
Page
3
4
5
6
7
9
9
9
10
11
12
13
13
14
14
15
15
16
16
17
17
18
18
19
19
20
Welcome to the Milwaukee Railroad Historic Shops of Sioux City, Iowa.
This quick Mini Tour will show you the various buildings and rolling stock we have
on the complex for you to inspect and learn more about when you come for a visit.
A view of the Main Entrance (photo by Ken Brown)
THE ENGINEERS TOOL SHED
This building housed the oil cans, wrenches, rags, shovels, and other items used by the train crews on their
runs. This shed is strategically located next to the locomotive ready tracks.
The Engineers Tool Shed – When restored this building will act as our main entrance ticket booth (SHRA photos)
3
THE ROUNDHOUSE & TURNTABLE
The roundhouse was originally 30 stalls and formed a half circle. Today only 6 remain.
The turntable is 90 feet long and was made by the American Bridge Company in 1917.
An overview of the turntable looking south shows the roundhouse on the right and the engineers’ tool shed
on the left next to the box car on ready track #1. (Photo by Andy Brown)
Here are a couple panoramic views of the inside of the roundhouse. The picture above is looking from Bay 4 to Bay 1 the door on the right
leads to the atrium entrance of the roundhouse. The picture below is looking from the wall outside Bay 1 to Bay 4.
There are 2 additional bays on the other side of Great Northern Steam Locomotive #1355. (photos by Larry Obermeyer Jr.)
4
A view of the turntable and roundhouse from Iowa Hwy 12 as you approach the main entrance.
A few times each year we will pull Great Northern Steam Locomotive #1355 outside for special events. (photo by Ken Brown)
MACHINE/BLACKSMITH SHOP
The Machine/Blacksmith Shop is the future exhibit home to the Corliss Steam Engine that was rescued
from the old Swift Packing Plant in the Sioux City Stockyards. (SHRA photo)
5
The Machine/Blacksmith Shop on the left and the back of the Roundhouse on the right
(SHRA photo)
THE CAR SHOP
This photo of the Car Shops building shows the lumber shed still attached on the far end.
Unfortunately the shed had to be torn down in 2004 after high winds ripped off 1/3 of
the roof and tossed it over 75 feet away to an area near the front of the Sand House.
(Photo by Ken Brown)
6
View of the N.E. end of the Car Shops Building (SHRA photo)
View of the S.W. corner with the lumber shed missing. (SHRA photo)
THE SAND HOUSE and SAND TOWER #2
Originally there were two sand towers. #1 was located next to the vertical pipe in front of the sand drying house.
The #2 tower which can be seen on the left is one of only a handful of wood sand towers that remain standing today
in all of North America. The sand is used by the locomotives to be sprayed on the tracks in front of the wheels to
provide traction during slippery conditions or when starting out with a heavy load.
7
COAL TOWER
This coal tower stood over 100 feet high and held over 300 tons of coal. With the exception
of the concrete foundation the remaining structure was all wood. Note both of the original sand towers
on each side and behind the coal tower. The Sand drying house is on the left. (George Berkstresser Collection)
Coal Tower foundations, view on left shows foundation from the south looking north. Picture on right shows a good view
of the location of the center track and the pit (filled in) where the coal cars came into get dumped, this view is looking north to south.
(SHRA photos)
8
THE SOUTH END WATER CLOSET
This next building is the water closet for the south end of the complex. A water closet was the bathroom
facilities. Not a very imposing building yet I’ll bet it was the most popular and frequently visited buildings at the
complex. Once restored this building will once again be everybody’s favorite spot to sit and take a break.
(SHRA Photo)
(SHRA Photo)
LUNCH ROOM / AIR BRAKE SHOP
You’ll see a new building located at this site (late summer–early fall 2009) which is our Model Railroad and
Civil/Railroad Engineering Exhibit Hall featuring the 15 x 65 foot Nebraska Central Railroad, an HO scale layout
which depicts travel from the plains to the mountains and shows the difficulty and the obstacles that had to be
overcome in building a railway. This was the original location of the Lunch Room and Air Brake shop. While the new
Model Railroad building measures 80 feet x 50 feet the Lunch Room/Air Brake shop was a slightly smaller wooden
building measuring 45 feet long and 30 feet wide.
The Lunch Room/Air Brake Shop prior to its demolition, probably the last known picture of it standing.
Note the South End Water Closet in the rear of the photo. (SHRA photo)
.
9
THE MILWAUKEE RAILROAD HISTORIC SHOPS
at SIOUX CITY, IOWA
BLUE = Existing Buildings and structural remains
RED = Former Buildings (in some cases you can see foundations or floors)
List of Original Buildings/Structures
A. Engineers Tool Shed
B. Turntable
C. Roundhouse (6 stalls) (24 Stalls)
D. Machine/Blacksmith Shop
E. Stores Room/Warehouse
F. Oil House
G. Wheel Casting Platform 100feet x 50 feet
H. Car Shop
I. Car Shop Lumber Shed plus 4 other smaller wooden structures
J. Sand House
K. Sand Storage Shed
L. Sand Tower #1
M. Sand Tower #2
N. Coal Tower (foundation remains)
O. South End Water Closet
P. Air Brake Shop/Lunch Room
Q. 150,000 Gallon (soft) Water Tower
R. Boiler/Engine Room
S. Water Softener Plant
T. 60,000 Gallon (hard) Water Surface Tank
U. Water Well Pump House #1
V. Water Well Pump House #2
W. Water Well Pump House #3
X. Cinder Pit 100 feet x 22 feet
Y. North End Water Closet
Z. Wheel Shop
AA.
Roundhouse Forman’s/Clerks/Crew Callers Office Building
BB.
Yard Office
10
11
ROLLING STOCK
AND
OTHER EQUIPMENT
Written by: Ken Brown
12
GREAT NORTHERN (GN) STEAM LOCOMOTIVE # 1355
This 4-6-2 Pacific Style locomotive was originally built as #1020 a 4-6-0 Ten-Wheeler in Oct. 1909.
SHRA #1 - 45 Ton Switcher Diesel Locomotive
Formally U.S. Marine Corps #206 stationed at Marine Corps Logistics Base (MCLB) Barstow, CA.
This locomotive was donated to our organization in 1990.
13
8 Man U.S. ARMY Motor Car
This motor car was built by the Kalamazoo Railway Supply Company of Kalamazoo, MI
in November 1951 for the U.S Army Transportation Corps. Rides are given on special
events with our two modified maintenance-of-way flat cars.
SLHX CABOOSE #1984
Formally C&NW #11168 this bay window steel caboose was built in January 1968.
The SLHX on the side of the caboose represents the Association of American Railroads
(AAR) Reporting Marks assigned to the SHRA. The number 1984 represents the year
which the organization was formed.
14
C&NW CABOOSE # 11009
Built in September 1960.
NORTHERN PACIFIC CABOOSE #1318
This wood cupola style 24 foot caboose was built in 1913 by the Northern Pacific Railway
probably at their South Tacoma Shops in western Washington State. The cabooses original
number was #1877 when it first came out of the shop.
15
BOX CAR – Chicago & Northwestern (C&NW) #160970
This Hydroframe 40, PS-1, 50 foot boxcar was built in June 1969. It was manufactured by the
Pullman-Standard Company of Bessemer, PA. and was part of Lot #9381A.
BOX CAR – Chicago & Northwestern (C&NW) #162571
This Hydroframe 40, PS-1, 50 foot boxcar was built in November 1973. It was manufactured
by the Pullman-Standard Company of Bessemer, PA. and was part of Lot #9665.
16
REFRIGERATION CAR – Burlington Northern Fruit Express (BNFE) #469
Built in February 1957; this 57 foot refrigeration car was used to haul produce, meat and dairy products.
SHUTTLEWAGON
The Shuttlewagon is a mobile rail car mover. This particular mobile rail car mover was made
by Shuttlewagon Inc. of Grandview, MO. There were a total of 235 units built of this
particular model with the last one being built in 1984, ours was built in 1974.
17
NORTHERN PACIFIC HEAVYWEIGHT DINER CAR
This was a 40 seat diner car that
included a full kitchen. The interior of
this car was totally gutted by fire from
transients taking shelter in it. We
currently have plans to convert it into
a computer lab with various
interactive displays which will be tied
to our S.T.E.A.M. exhibit.
CHICAGO, BURLINGTON & QUINCY (CB&Q) HEAVYWEIGHT COMBINE COACH
Although we do not know (as of yet)
what the original CB&Q car number
was we do know the last number
assigned to it was Burlington Northern
#7202. It has seating for 70 passengers
(2 - 3 person wall mounted bench seats
and 32 – 2 person reversible bench style
seats. At one end of the car is a cloak
room and toilet facility. At the other
end is a baggage room that is about 15
feet long and takes up the entire width
of the car.
18
MILWAUKEE ROAD – 1947 OLYMPIAN HIAWATHA - PASSENGER CARS
MILWAUKEE ROAD DINER
CAR #121
This car is a 48 seat diner with a full
kitchen and it is 85 feet long. After its
initial use on the Olympian Hiawatha it
was transferred for use on the
following Milwaukee Road named
passenger trains; the Twin Cities
Hiawatha (Chicago-Minneapolis), the
Arrow (Chicago–Sioux Falls, SD
through Sioux City, IA), and the North
Woods Hiawatha (Chicago-Minocqua,
WI). After being repainted in 1956 to
the Union Pacific Yellow and Grey this
diner found itself in joint service on the
Union Pacific named trains of The City
of Los Angeles (Chicago-Los
Angeles), The City of San Francisco
(Chicago-San Francisco), and The City
of Everywhere.
MILWAUKEE ROAD
BAGGAGE/DORMER # 1313
This car is an 85 foot long car with a
36 foot baggage/mail sorting
compartment at one end and 4 crew
sleeping compartments and hygiene
area at the other end. This car was
used by the porters, cooks and other
crew members on the long distance
passenger trains. This car is intact
and was never modified by the
railroad. After it was repainted in
1956 to the Union Pacific Yellow &
Grey it found itself in joint service on
the Union Pacific named trains of
The City of Portland (ChicagoPortland, OR) and The City of
Denver (Chicago-Denver).
19
400 Truck – This former Union Pacific Maintenance of Way (MOW) vehicle is currently used on a regular basis by
our volunteers. It is a GMC
Brigadier truck body with a Detroit
Diesel engine. It has a National
Crane N64 hydraulic knuckle boom
crane mounted on the rear and a
hydraulic driven winch mounted inside the rear bumper. This vehicle is
used for heavy lifting and track
work. A supplemental hydraulic
system located in the left side
equipment bay can be used to hookup hydraulic tools or jacks for other
jobs that may require the use of
these tools. There is also a large air
tank mounted under the boom in the
rear on the right side that can be
used to help air up individual
railcars for maintenance or
troubleshooting. It can also be used
for air tools such as pneumatic
chisels, drills, socket guns and more.
(photo by Don Dandurand)
20