Rear (3Mb, page 2) - Bear Creek Recovery
Transcription
Rear (3Mb, page 2) - Bear Creek Recovery
Everhart Funeral Home 220 E. Main Street Bungalow-style ~ 1926 22 William Adams Building 112-114 S. Molalla Avenue Vernacular ~ circa 1875-1880s 27 Harvey N. Everhart purchased a furniture and undertaking business from W. D. Adams in 1909 and operated on N. Molalla Avenue for many years. He built the present funeral home as well as the Chapel at Canby in 1943 and operated the Miller funeral home in Aurora. He sold the furniture aspect of the business and was joined by Jack Kent in partnership in 1947, but retired from active business that same year. Everhart served as mayor of Molalla in the early 1930s, he was a Clackamas County Fair director for several years, and he was a service board member in Oregon City during World War II. He was a member of Molalla IOOF lodge in 1927 and was a charter member of Molalla Grange #310. A rare wood-frame commercial building in Molalla, this vernacular store was built circa 1875-1880, reportedly by George W. and Sarah Shaver, who purchased the property in 1867. It is the best-preserved wood-frame commercial building in Molalla, and one of few (if only) that date before the City's 1913 incorporation. William Adams operated a cabinet and coffin business here and in 1909 Harvey Everhart purchased the business and added furniture and a funeral parlor. In 1913, W. W. Everhart had a real estate office in the building. The upper floor was used as a schoolroom and lore suggests a speakeasy operated during Prohibition. George Case Plumbing was in the one-story wing from the 1920s to the 1970s. Rob bins Stre et 31 This Foursquare house is an early and rare example of this style in Molalla. Hallmarks of this style of architecture are the square plan, the two-and-one-half story height, a central dormer, and a large front porch with wide stairs. The boxy shape provides a maximum amount of interior room space. Gas was installed for room lighting when the house was built. Mahogany woodwork and crystal-glass doorknobs are featured on the interior. The old building at the back was a former sewing factory for military garments during World War II; later it was used for boy-scout troop meetings and it has been used as a summer kitchen. The house was built by carpenter Oliver Willard Robbins for his brother, Levi Wayne Robbins and Levi's wife, Ione Rivers Robbins. They married in 1899, had four children, and in the 1920s she was the official buyer for the Robbins Bros. store in Molalla. The home was affectionately referred to as "the house on the hill." 28 27 26 15 13 J. D. Peterkin and Son 118-122 S. Molalla Avenue Utilitarian Commercial ~ 1929 28 Ros s St reet 16 17 20 12 21 22 11 10 1936 Buckeroo 1923 1924 1925 1926 1928 1939 1943 Ford dealership comes to Molalla Eastern and Western Lumber Co. moves into the area Improved stadium on the northwest corner of Molalla and Main streets hosts the Round-up rodeo event Molalla Union High School built; Chevrolet dealership comes to Molalla Molalla Buckeroo Association forms Ostrander Railway and Timber Company established on Dickey Prairie Canby-Molalla Forest (Logging) Road built; Crown Zellerbach buys out Ostrander 1944 1947 1955 1962 1970s 1980s 1993 Major fire destroys several buildings in downtown Molalla Molalla Theatre opens on Main Street New City Hall/Fire Station/Library built Arrowhead Golf Club built Molalla Buckeroo rodeo moves to new stadium northeast of town Lumber industry declines 5.7 Earthquake damages 1926 Molalla High School building; the school is later demolished 5 4 3 2 1 7 6 5th Stre et 23 2nd Stre et 24 25 Mai n St reet (Hw y 21 1) 3rd Stre et 8 e aluminum finish. Brief timeline of town history 1840s-1850s Pioneers settle the Molalla Prairie 1852 Molalla Post Office established at Liberal 1860 A. J. Sawtell starts a teasel farm outside Molalla 1870s Frank W. McLeran opens Wilhoit Springs Resort 1913 Town Incorporates; first train arrives; first town electricity; first Molalla Pioneer newspaper; Molalla Telephone Company incorporates; first western rodeo event 1916 First city-sponsored Round-up rodeo 9 Berk ley Ave nue Welding and blacksmithing since 1929, J. D. Peterkin and Son continues to do repairs on farming and logging equipment as well as heavy equipment of all kind. The business is comprised of three older buildings and the circa 1920 building on the corner is covered with the original wood-shiplap siding. In 1947, Peterkin and Son doubled their workspace with the addition of a new drive-in repair shop alongside the old shop building. This tall central building still sports the original sheet Stagecoach Motel 14 18 19 Ave nue One of the finest examples of architecture in Molalla, the First Methodist Church was the third church the Methodists built in the community. The first church was south of town at the corner of Sawtell and Herman roads and later the congregation met in the old log schoolhouse at the east end of town. This church was built by local carpenter and builder Oliver Willard Robbins in the Gothic Revival style and features pointed-arch windows, a shingled tower and open fretwork designs. No longer used as a church, the stained glass window panes have been moved to the new Methodist Church east of town. A small, white cottage that was formerly used as the town library is located next to the church. The library was a cozy building sporting window boxes and the interior smelled of old books, wood smoke, and oiled wood. Patrons were greeted at the door by a tinkling bell and by Mrs. Beesie Pemble, the librarian. Levi Wayne Robbins House 3 2 123 Shirley Street Foursquare Craftsman ~ 1899-1900 Ave nu 23 Buck e Grou roo nds Hein tz S tree t Eng le First Methodist Church 300 E. Main Street Gothic Revival-Vernacular ~ 1905-1906 Shirl 32 ey S treet Cole St reet This appealing shop was formerly a utilitarian electric store owned by Mr. And Mrs. Paul E. Jan of Jan Electric Co. In business in Molalla since 1949, they purchased the building and the business in 1955 from Frank and Hazel Yannessa. The Yannessa's had also been in the electric business in Molalla for six years before the Jans took over. The building was built by Vera Wells as an electrical shop in the 1940s. The bracketed cornice and vertical board-and-batten siding, which gives it a country flair, were added by Gary and Joan Deardorff. Masterton's Garage was the first brick and structural-clay tile building in Molalla. The old P.C. Ferman and Co. store building was demolished to make way for the new garage. W. G. Masterton worked as a blacksmith in a wood-frame building nearby, starting in 1914. The fireproof building was constructed of clay tile products from the new Molalla Brick and Tile Works northwest of town. Today the building is intact and original (although one bay is enclosed) and it is the only Mission-style commercial building in Molalla. The interior warehouse features massive construction beams. The building was previously used as the Emmert Bros. Freight and Feed Company then the Foglesong Feed Store before it became Bentley Feed Store. The City Park, with its old-growth Douglas fir trees, has a long history in Molalla. The park is on land that was owned for years by the pioneer Robbins family and was deeded to the City in 1925 by Oliver and Mary Robbins. A few years before, the City had purchased the nearby baseball field and it later became the Buckeroo rodeo grounds (the old wooden stadium and arena were torn down in the 1970s). The drinking fountain/birdbath memorial in the park was dedicated in 1940 to "Aunt" Mary Robbins by the Molalla Civic Club, who maintained the park. Stone for the fountain came from the first pioneer Clackamas County Courthouse in Oregon City. Fran cis Stre et George Gregory was a well-known Molalla citizen, town developer, and businessman who took over the local Sawtell teasel business in 1899. Born in Somersetshire, England, in 1862, as a boy he came to New York, where he learned the skill of preparing teasel plants for use in the woolen industry. He arrived in Molalla in 1898 and married Flora in 1899. The English style of architecture is evident in the brickwork, the high-pitched gable roof, the elaborate chimney on the facade, decorative stringcourses, and window lintels. The house retains many outstanding interior features, including spacious rooms, original light fixtures, and a fireplace mantel built from stone sourced in Los Angeles. Avenue 26 33 igle 21 Long Memorial Park 3 1 Leonard S. Molalla Avenue Masterton's Garage 110 S. Molalla Avenue Mission/Commercial ~ 1925 George and Flora Gregory House 3 4 900 N. Molalla Avenue (Clackamas County) English Tudor Revival ~ 1927 Swe Jan Electric Co. 125-147 E. Main Street Commercial ~ 1944 Oswald "Ossie" Marson moved to Molalla in 1932 and became Molalla's Chevrolet dealer in 1935. In 1947, he remodeled a 1926 auto garage into a new building that was described in local newspapers as "one of the finest auto service buildings in the Willamette Valley." Marson was well-known and respected by everyone in town. Aside from operating his Chevrolet business, Ossie was mayor, Chief of the Fire Department, president of the City Council, and a member of the Grade School Board. The 1971 monument at the front of the city fire station across the street is a tribute to Ossie Marson. la A venu e The Molalla Theatre was remodeled to its present appearance in the late 1970s by Gary and Joan Deardorff. Vestiges of the old theatre can be seen inside today, including the original stage and the pink-and-black tiled restrooms. The theatre closed in 1972 due to vandalism, not long after the showing of "The Andromeda Strain." The former "Quonset-style" theatre was owned and operated by Ernest Clark, who built the architect-designed building while still operating the New Lyric Theatre down Main Street. This Craftsman-inspired Foursquare house is thought to have been built by William T. Eckerd. The house features a prominent front porch with squared posts that wraps to the kitchen side wing, and a pyramidal hipped roof with overhanging eaves. William Eckerd and his son delivered RFD mail for the Molalla post office and their horses were stabled in a barn (no longer standing) at the rear of the house. Members of the Eckerd family, including John P. Echerd, lived in the house until the 1950s. The interior features many period architectural details such as decorative fireplace mantels, classical column posts, ceiling beams, pocket doors, and Victorian-period furnishings and light fixtures. Chevrolet-Marson's Garage 3 0 203 S. Molalla Avenue Commercial ~ 1947 Chu rch Stre et As one of Clackamas County's outstanding houses when built for A. Frank Lowes, Molalla's best Ranch house was designed by architect Daniel Riggs Huntington of Oregon City. The house was built with four bedrooms, four bathrooms, a large living room paneled in Korina wood, and a music room. The basement had a large lounge and a rumpus room, both with fireplaces, a maid's room, and a study over the garage. A sunken garden and lily pond were originally in the landscaped back yard, later turned into a swimming pool, and an outdoor fireplace. Lowes, who owned a major sawmill in the northwest part of town, was a prominent business and civic leader. He also owned a tavern in town called Frank's Place (now the Sundowner), which was a popular hang-out during the Buckeroo rodeo. Lowes had risen from a lumber hand to the top of the lumbering industry. Born in Detroit, Michigan, he came to Portland in 1926 and worked for the West Oregon Lumber Company. In 1933, he arrived in Molalla to work for the Molalla Lumber Yard. He purchased his first sawmill in the early 1940s, and eventually turned A. F. Lowes Lumber Co. into one of the largest sawmills in the region. He died following a car accident in 1954. SM olal 20 William T. Echerd House 2 5 E. Main Street Foursquare Craftsman ~ 1906 City Hall was built to house the city offices as well as the jail, a meeting hall, the mayor's office, fire trucks, the ambulance, and the library. The design of the concrete building reflected the post-World War II interest in the International style, evidenced by its geometric simplicity. When built, the Police Chief was Vern Pitman. The building was constructed by Fred Blomenkamp & Son, local contractors. New quarters for the Molalla Public Library were dedicated within City Hall in 1970, when Ethel Blatchford became librarian. 34 Fenton The Hoffman House is notable as an intact example of carpenter-vernacular architecture built by Oliver Willard Robbins for himself and his family. The house has intersecting gables, paired, double-hung windows, and decorative porch brackets. Today, the house is the Hoffman House Restaurant and it retains the atmosphere of an early Molalla home. The deck on the side has been added, and one of the original outbuildings remains at the rear. Duane Robbins, Oliver's son and president of the First National Bank, was the last of the Robbins family to occupy the home. The front room was briefly used for the first library in Molalla from approximately 1900 to 1906. A. Frank Lowes House 3 3 710 S. Molalla Avenue Ranch ~ 1950 Grange Avenue Built as a furniture store by J. H. Bowlin, this building originally had a double entry with two, large plate-glass windows and featured artistic design elements on the poured and pebbled stucco façade. Today, the façade sports an early 1970s remodel, at which time it became the White Horse Tavern. The original store was built by the same firm that built the 1926 brick Molalla High School and the Molalla Telephone Company building — Birkemeir & Saremal of Milwaukie. Bowlin went out of business in mid-May, 1928, soon after his store became the first electrified storefront in Molalla. The building has contained several businesses over the years, including Twentieth Century Grocery, Safeway, the Molalla Coffee Shop, the Electric Shop, J. J. Dann's Frozen Foods locker plant (later Christiansen's Frozen Food Locker and Meat Shop), the Crème Freze, The Cone, Burkholder's Café, Bennett's Place and the OK Tavern. Molalla Theatre 115 E. Main Street Remodeled Commercial ~ 1947 City Hall 2 9 117 S. Molalla Avenue Commercial ~ 1955 Lola Ave une Hoffman House 2 4 523 E. Main Street Vernacular ~ circa 1900 Center Avenue Furniture Store 1Commercial 9 Bowlin 118 E. Main Street ~ 1927