Hotel Punta Gorda Historical Marker Photos
Site of Hotel Punta Gorda Historical Marker & more images:
Historical views of the downtown hotel:
This view from the northwest of the original grand Hotel Punta Gorda, opened in 1887, was
submitted with the Charlotte County Historical Marker application. (Peeples, 1986)
Color view of Hotel Charlotte Harbor (1926-1959). After the old Hotel Punta Gorda was
purchased by Barron Collier and Cornelius Vanderbilt in 1924, they renovated it, added
a huge swimming pool and renamed it.
Historical interior photographs of the grand Hotel Charlotte Harbor:
Suite with fireplace and card table.
Hotel lobby seating areas
Aerial view of the Hotel Charlotte Harbor and its swimming pool on the waterfront in
downtown Punta Gorda, c. 1938.
After a spa was added by new owners in the 1950s,
the grand hotel was lost to fire on August 14, 1959.
Historical marker dedication ceremony:
On May 13, 2009, County and City officials unveiled the Charlotte County Historical Marker
together at a ceremony on the same block where the former hotels had thrived, on West Marion
Avenue near Taylor Street in downtown Punta Gorda.