Original Recipe Yield 4 servings
2 medium sized zucchinis
4 egg whites
1 ½ cups whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1 tsp olive oil or cooking spray
pepper, to taste
1. Thinly slice zucchini into ⅛” round pieces.
2. Beat egg and egg whites in a shallow bowl.
3. Using a small food processor (or a mortar and pestle) process the
breadcrumbs, grated cheese, and a couple dashes of pepper together until
fine. Put the breadcrumb mixture in a shallow bowl.
4. Pour 1 tsp of olive oil or using cooking spray in the bottom of a medium to
large sauté pan and turn the heat to medium. Let it heat up while you start
preparing the zucchini.
5. Make an assembly line in the following order: raw zucchini slices, beaten
egg, breadcrumb mixture, and empty plate.
6. With one hand (which will be your “wet” hand) coat a few of the zucchini
slices with the egg and shake off the excess. Drop those pieces on top of
the breadcrumb mixture and using your other “dry” hand coat them with
breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess breadcrumbs and transfer the coated
zucchini slices to the clean plate.
7. As soon as you have enough zucchini slices breaded to make a single layer
across the bottom of the pan, slide them in the oil to start cooking.
8. Meanwhile, start coating the next batch of zucchini, but check the stove
after 2 or 3 minutes to see if the bottom of the zucchini is turning golden
brown. Once they are brown flip them over and add more olive oil if
necessary to keep the bottom of the breaded zucchini “wet.” Once both
sides are golden brown transfer them to a paper towel lined plate and keep
9. Repeat process until all the zucchini are cooked. Arrange them on a
serving platter, garnish with Parmesan cheese, and enjoy!
Nutritional Info: Calories 255, Total Fat 7.8g, Carbs 33g, Fiber 2.9g, Protein 13.9g, Cholesterol 51mg,
Recipe from 100daysofrealfood.com
Chicken Zucchini Stack with Penne
Serves 2 (stack with 1/2 cup penne and 1 cup marinara)
1 large chicken breast (6oz) or 2 small breasts, boneless and skinless
1 zucchini, sliced into 1/4" slices
1/4 cup bread crumbs, seasoned
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup whole wheat penne pasta, prepared al dente (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using a large chicken breast, cut it in half
evenly to form two small breasts. Filet breasts into three even-thickness
2. Spray a small baking dish with cooking spray. Layer one chicken breast
filet, followed by 2-3 thin slices of zucchini to cover the filet. Repeat
process to form two stacks with 3 filets and 3 layers of zucchini rounds.
Top final zucchini rounds with 2 Tbsp bread crumbs (press into zucchini)
and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Spoon 1 cup marinara sauce around
the base of each stack.
3. Place dish into oven and bake for ~30 minutes, until chicken is cooked
4. Place each stack onto a plate and top with marinara sauce. Serve with
penne pasta if desired.
Nutrition Info per Serving: Calories 300, Fat 7g, Carbs 34g, Fiber 4g, Protein 28g.
Yield: 2 loaves, 12 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup egg substitute
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups shredded zucchini (12 ounces)
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine
flour and next 4 ingredients (through baking soda) in a large bowl.
3. Combine egg substitute and next 4 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl;
add sugar, stirring until combined. Add zucchini; stir until well combined.
Add flour mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in walnuts.
4. Divide batter evenly between 2 (8 x 4-inch) loaf pans coated with cooking
spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes
out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool
completely on wire rack.
Nutrition Info per Serving: Calories 150, Fat 4.3g, Carbs 25.3g, Fiber 0.6g, Protein 2.7g, Cholesterol 9mg,