ENV150 Review Sheet: Chapter 10 Energy Efficiency and
ENV150 Review Sheet: Chapter 10 Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Review key questions and main concepts on the opening page of the chapter. Can you provide a definition of the
following words or terms, and use them properly if answering a question about a larger issue?
Passive Solar, Active solar
Cogeneration (CHP – combined heat and power)
1. What is the difference between energy conservation and energy efficiency?
2. Explain why we can think of energy efficiency as an energy resource.
3. Approximately percent of commercial energy that currently flows through the U.S. economy performs useful work?
Roughly what percent is wasted unnecessarily? What is meant by unavoidable energy waste?
4. Can you identify four widely used energy wasting devices, as noted in the textbook?
5. What are 4 specific ways that industry could save both energy and money, according to the text? Roughly how much
energy is used by industry?
6. Can you describe the main features of a smart grid system?
7. Can you give a brief description of, and identify the key the features of, each of the 6 main alternative energy sources
described in class? What are the main advantages and disadvantages of each of the 6?
8. Describe three ways in which you, personally, could decrease your energy waste without causing major disruption to
your current lifestyle.
9. What is the energy source for space heating in your current home? What about for your appliances (stove,
refrigerator, hot water heater)?
10. Can you explain the BASIC way that most electricity is produced (other than by photovoltaic cells?)
11. What are some of the reasons that we continue to waste lots of energy…and what are some of the reasons that
vehicle fuel efficiencies in the United States are so much lower than those in most of the rest of the world?
BRING NOTES TO HELP ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
1. Compare and contrast active and passive solar heating. In what ways are they the same? In what ways do they differ?
How do active and passive solar heating systems differ from photovoltaic cells?
2. Which of the 6 renewable energy sources do you think has the greatest potential to replace petroleum for use in
transportation? Why? Support your choice with fact based information from the textbook and other class materials.
Provide one specific example of this energy source being used for transportation.
3. Which of the 6 renewable energy sources do you think has the greatest potential to replace coal for electricity
generation? Why? Support your choice with fact based information from the textbook and other class materials. Provide
one specific example of this energy source being used for electricity production.
4. For one of the six renewable energy sources, provide a specific example of how you think the energy could be used to
improve the lives of people living in poverty who currently may not have access to electricity.
5. What do you think would be the best alternative energy source to develop in our Puget Sound region for future
electrical needs? Why? Give fact based information to support your choice. Can you describe an environmental
disadvantage that could result from developing this energy source?