d. stratosphere - Bennatti
Lesson 15.2: True or False
Name___________________ Period_____________ Date________
Label each of the following main layers of the atmosphere. (Use the following labels:
mesosphere; exosphere; troposphere; stratosphere; thermosphere)
_______________ > 700 km (440 mi)- most satellites fly here
_______________ 80 -700 km (50-440 mi) International space station flies here
_______________ 50 – 80 km (31-50 mi)
12 – 50 km (7 -31 mi)
_______________ 0 -12 km (0 – 7 mi)
Write true if the statement is true or false if the statement is false.
_____ 1. When gas molecules lose energy (cool), their density decreases.
_____ 2. The stratopause occurs between the stratosphere and troposphere.
_____ 3. The air in the stratosphere does a lot of mixing because it is unstable.
_____ 4. Temperature inversions often trap pollutants close to Earth’s surface.
_____ 5. Ultraviolet radiation harms living things by damaging the DNA in their cells.
_____ 6. About 99.9 percent of the atmosphere’s mass lies below the stratosphere.
_____ 7. The troposphere rises to an altitude of about 12 kilometers above sea level.
_____ 8. The cause of ionization in the thermosphere is solar radiation.
_____ 9. There is no real outer limit to the exosphere.
Circle the letter of the correct choice.
1. A change in temperature with distance is called a temperature:
d. none of the above
2. The major direct source of heat in the troposphere is:
a. the greenhouse effect;
d. UV rays;
b. heat from the Earth’s surface;
c. the solar wind;
3. In a temperature inversion, warmer air:
a. sits over cooler air;
b. rises into the stratosphere;
c. is less stable than
d. sinks to the Earth’s surface
4. The thickness of the ozone layer in the atmosphere varies by:
d. a and b;
b. a and c
5. Most meteors burn up in the:
6. Temperatures increase with increasing altitude in the:
d. a and b;
e. b and c
Match each definition with the correct term.
_____ 1. layer of the atmosphere where the International Space Station orbits
_____ 2. lowest layer of the atmosphere
_____ 3. outermost layer of the atmosphere
_____ 4. layer of the atmosphere that contains the ozone layer
_____ 6. layer of the atmosphere with the coldest temperatures
_____ 7. zone of charged particles that cause the aurora
Fill in the blank with the appropriate term.
1. The atmosphere is divided into layers based on the way that __________ changes
2. The density of air is higher when air temperature is __________.
3. Temperatures in the troposphere __________ with higher altitude.
4. The direct source of heat for the stratosphere is the __________.
5. Temperatures in the mesosphere __________ with higher altitude.
6. At night, AM radio waves bounce off particles in the __________.
7. High-speed particles traveling outward from the sun make up solar __________.