Allegato I - Protocolli di accesso allo Stabulario
SISSA ANIMAL HOUSE: ACCESS RULES
In order to be allowed to enter the animal house, you have to :
(1) have followed standard courses about animal wellness and correct procedures
for animal handling;
(2) be formally included into the running list of enabled people;
(3) have been appropriately trained by the animal house manager about access
procedures described in this paper;
(4) have been appropriately trained about emergency procedures within the animal
house by people in charge of it.
Try to enter the animal house as little as possible and, whenever it is possible, take
advantage of the help of our animal house manager ([email protected]) and animal house
technicians (phone exts: 791), who - within their possibilities and according to the
timetable below - will be happy to provide you with your animals through the passbox.
9.30 - 11.00
9.30 – 11.00
9.30 – 11.00
9.30 – 11.00
9.30 – 11.00
Enabled people are generally allowed to enter the animal house all the days, from 9.00
to 19.00. They must not enter specific rooms, during the change of cages and cleaning up,
as specified below:
even at this
Only limited to special circumstances (to be agreed with the scientific coordinator), it is
possible to get access to the animal house beyond 19.00. In such a case, you can
manually switch on red lights (less stressing for rodents), which will last on only to a
limited time (about a couple of minutes).
Getting into the animal house
Personal protection equipment (PPE: labcoats - each tagged with the username and to
be changed ever week-, disposable masks, caps, overshoes and gloves) are available on
the shelf by the entrance.
Enter the animal house, according to the following procedure:
(1) wash your hands with the Igen gel, then take your PPE.
(2) pass on the sticker in front of the bench
(3) wear overshoes, while stepping over the bench
(4) pass through the 1st glass-door
(5) have air-shower, on yourself and your labcoat.
(6) wear mask, cap, labcoat and gloves (within the air-shower cabinet, in this order)
(7) pass through the 2nd glass-door
(1) Pass every object you intend to carry into the facility through the pass box, taking
care to cleaning it with disinfectant on the inner side once you are into.
Within the animal house
Move within the animal house, along the researcher pathways shown in the diagram
below (blue and green areas).
After entering a room or upon exiting from it, close the door. Doors are intended to be
normally closed. For no reason go into the dirty corridor or the washing room. In case of
emergency, please follow the adequate procedures learnt during the emergency
Within the animal house and, in particular, within the housing rooms:
(1) do not speak aloud
(2) do not slam doors
(3) while handling cages, do not slam them on the tables and open/close their lids
(4) treat animals as gently as possible and pay attention to avoid bites (should you be
bitten, please inform the due people: animal technicians and your supervisor)
(5) change your gloves while moving from one rat or murine line to another one
(6) clean up table surfaces where you handled cages by spraying the disinfectant
(7) leave dirty cages in the spaces indicated by animal house technicians
(8) take clean cages from the shelves by the entrance, as little as necessary
Once you have completed your work, do not forget to annotate animal fluxes (arrivals,
departures, births, deaths): this is particular important for legal reasons! As previously
agreed with the animal house manager, you can do that by leaving (on a dedicated
register within the clean corridor) a written note to the animal house technicians, who
will take care of the annotation on the official database in place of you.