rice pudding - Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
A creamy, often well-tolerated, high-calorie pudding that works as a great dessert for those
needing to add protein and calories to their daily intake. For those requiring a lower fat
alternative, reduced-fat milk may be substituted. Non-dairy, lactose-free options like soy,
rice, or almond milk can work as well. Yield: 4 servings
• 2 cups of whole milk, reduced-fat milk,
or non-dairy alternative
• 1/3 cup of sugar
cups of long grain white or
• 1 egg (beaten)
tsp. vanilla extract
cup dried fruit of your choice
• Cinnamon or nutmeg for sprinkling
on top (optional)
• Tip: for extra cinnamon flavor, boil
rice with a cinnamon stick added to
289 calories, 5.9 grams fat, 0.5 grams saturated
fat, 59 mg cholesterol, 50 grams carbohydrate,
1.2 grams dietary fiber, 8.1 grams protein
1. First rinse uncooked rice with cold water.
2. Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil.
3. Add rice, reduce heat, and cook for
approximately 20 minutes until tender.
4. In large pot add rice, 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar
5. Stir rice constantly to avoid rice from
sticking to bottom of pot.
6. Cook until mixture is a thick and creamy
texture, approximately 20 minutes.
7. Remove pot from heat, and while still hot,
add remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten eggs (add
very slowly while stirring pot), vanilla, and
optional dried fruit (such as raisins).
8. Return to medium heat and stir again until slightly thickened (5-10 minutes max).
9. Remove from heat, and pour into containers.
Top with a sprinkling of cinnamon or
nutmeg for garnish as desired.
10. Refrigerate before serving.
The Cooking. Comfort. Care. Nourishment for the Pancreatic Cancer Fight program was created by
Celgene Corporation and in collaboration with the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, Meals to Heal and
Chef Michael Ferraro. These recipes were developed by registered dietitians who are board-certified
specialists in oncology nutrition affiliated with the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and at Meals to Heal,
along with Chef Michael Ferraro. This content is for information purposes only. The content is not intended
to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Talk to your healthcare team for
nutritional advice or specific questions you have about managing your condition or that of a loved one.
© 2015 Celgene Corporation 04/15 US-CELG150047c