Helpful information for paying for care



Helpful information for paying for care
Funding and Useful information-2012
Paying for Long Term Care
Every person’s situation is unique.
There are various means of funding depending on the assessments of the individual and their
financial position.
The National Health Service, Local Authority Services and The Department for Works and
Pensions, all have a part in the funding of care. All are dependant upon your financial
assessment and eligibility for the various elements of funding.
Depending on your level of savings and assets and whether you live alone or have a partner,
there are different thresholds to assess whether you will have to pay for your care.
If you have savings over the capital threshold (currently £23,250) excluding the value of your
home then you will not be eligible for financial assistance. If you are not eligible for financial
assistance you may find it helpful to consult an independent financial adviser for further
You will be required to make a contribution towards your care. Your contribution will be
determined by a financial assessment being undertaken.
When choosing a Home and room of your choice the rate may be more than the Social Service
rate. If the home fees exceed your Social Service rate, you may be required to pay the
difference. This is known as a Third Party Contribution and will need to be paid over and above
your own assessed contribution:
You will have to find a Third Party, for example a family member to pay the difference.
This is known as a Third Party Contribution and cannot be made from your own weekly
income or capital assets.
The Third Party must agree to make the payments for the whole of your stay.
If your former home is subject to a 12 week property disregard or you have been
accepted for a Deferred Payment Agreement you may be able to pay a First Party
If you are Social Services funded, you are required to make a contribution towards the weekly
amount which will be determined following the outcome of a financial assessment of your
weekly income and capital resources.
Income is the money that you receive such as State Retirement Pension, War Pensions,
State Benefits, Occupational Pensions, Trust Fund income etc.
Capital is the value of any savings, investments, property and land that you have/own.
Devon County Council will review the amount that you will have to pay from April each year
following the increases in all State Benefits and Statutory Personal Allowances.
From your weekly income they will automatically disregard a Personal Expense
Allowance (PEA) of currently £22.30 which is a statutory requirement. This is to cover
items such as newspapers, toiletries etc
Additionally if your weekly income exceeds £132.60 per week an additional weekly sum
of up to £5.75 (savings disregard) will be allowed.
If you are in receipt of an occupational pension and your spouse/partner remains at
home 50% of this pension will be disregarded unless it will have a detrimental effect on
the benefits claimable by the spouse/partner remaining at home.
Capital held in joint accounts will be automatically halved.
Reviewed July2011D:\81928199.doc
See below with regards to the treatment of property and land.
The first £14,250 of your capital will be fully disregarded.
Treatment of Property and Land - Your home:
The value of your home which was your main place of residence prior to admission to a Care
Home will be ignored if it continues to be occupied by:
Spouse or partner
Relative aged over 60
A relative who is registered disabled
Someone aged under 16 who you are financially responsible for
12 Week Property Disregard Period
If your home does not qualify for an automatic disregard (as above) then its value will still be
disregarded for up to a maximum of 12 weeks, thereafter its value will be taken into account.
This is known as the 12 week property disregard
During this 12 week property disregard period you will still have to pay an assessed contribution
based on your weekly income and other capital.
At the end of the 12 week property disregard period the value of your home will then be
included as part of your capital assets and therefore your accommodation contribution will
increase to the full weekly fee charged by the care home.
Deferred Payment Agreements (DPA)
If you do not wish to sell your home or if a sale is likely to take sometime you may wish to apply
for a DPA.
A DPA is only available to people who, in addition to the value of their home, have other capital
assets of less than £23,250. Once completed a DPA allows for a proportion of the care home
fee to be deferred. The amount to be deferred will vary depending on your financial
circumstances. The deferred sum becomes repayable to the Council upon either the sale of
your property or when you leave the care home accommodation (usually upon your death). No
interest charges are payable on the amount deferred unless it is still outstanding 56 days after it
has become due. Whilst a DPA is in place you will be required to contribute your available
weekly income. A DPA only becomes effective from the date it is completed therefore it is
essential you apply as soon as possible. All fees due prior to that date are payable in the usual
manner. See payment options below.
Other Property/Land
Any other property or land owned is not subject to a disregard and will form part of your capital
assets. If these assets exceed £23,250 then you will be required to pay the full weekly fee
charged by the care home effective from your admission.
To pay the assessed weekly accommodation charge, Client Finance Services will advise you of
your weekly contribution and if your payments will be made Net or Gross:
Net Agreement
This is when you pay your assessed accommodation charge directly to the care home, this is
the preferred choice adopted by Devon County Council (DCC).
Gross Agreement
This is when you pay your assessed accommodation charge directly to DCC. You will be sent
an account through the post every four weeks by Client Finance Services which will explain the
different payment methods available. You should not receive any additional requests for
payment in relation to your care requirements other than those notified to you by Client Finance
Services. This does not include payments for sundry items such as toiletries etc.
Reviewed July2011D:\81928199.doc
There are benefits that you may be entitled to: Attendance Allowance
Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people aged 65 and over who need help with
personal care because they are physically or mentally disabled.
Attendance Allowance is not affected by any savings or income you may have. The amounts
depend on how much your disability affects you. There are two rates of Attendance Allowance.
To apply go to
Attendance Allowance
Higher Rate
Lower Rate
Weekly Rate
Continuing care
Continuing care is professional care given to meet the physical or mental health needs of adults
with a disability, injury or illness over an extended period of time. NHS continuing
healthcare means a package of care that is arranged and funded by the NHS and is free of
charge to the person receiving the care. This is sometimes called fully funded NHS care.
Over the last few years, attempts have been made to make clear in law the type of healthcare
needs that qualify for NHS continuing healthcare. A national framework has been developed to
provide guidance to the NHS about this and to try to ensure that consistent decisions are made
across the country.
NHS continuing healthcare assessments
Primary care trusts (who manage local health services) are required to carry out an assessment
for NHS continuing healthcare where health services might be needed. For example, the
assessment should be carried out:
When patients are discharged from hospital. The NHS should carry out this type of
assessment before referring the person to social services for help with social care needs.
If the physical or mental health of the person you're looking after deteriorates
Before any decision is made by the NHS to make a registered nursing care contribution
when a person goes into a care home that provides nursing care.
There is guidance about the way assessments should be carried out. A checklist is commonly
used to decide whether someone needs a full assessment. Some people who need an urgent
decision, such as those who are terminally ill, should be fast-tracked to receive NHS continuing
healthcare immediately. The assessments should be organized to give the person you look
after, yourself and/or family members enough advice and information to allow you to participate
in informed decisions about the future care of the person you look after. The person being
assessed should be informed in writing of the decision and how to ask for a review if they are
Where is NHS continuing healthcare offered?
NHS continuing healthcare can be provided by the NHS in any setting, including a care home,
hospice, hospital or the home of the person you look after. If NHS continuing healthcare is
provided in a care home, it will cover the care home fees, including the cost of accommodation,
personal care and healthcare costs. If NHS continuing care is provided in the home of the
person you look after, it will cover personal care and healthcare costs.
Reviewed July2011D:\81928199.doc
Registered Nursing Care Contribution
Primary Care Trust (PCT) - Funded Nursing Care (FNC)
Under the terms of “free nursing care” the Government states that the NHS will pay for “any
services provided by a registered nurse involving the provision of care, or the planning,
supervision or delegation of the provision of care, other than services which do not need to be
provided by a registered nurse”.
Free Nursing Care weekly amount 2012 - £108.70
Southern Healthcare Fee Guideline
Our fees are dependant upon care and nursing assessment levels.
They are also dependant on location and type of room within the homes.
Our fee guideline below will help to give you an indication of our ranges.
Residential Care
Nursing Care
Weekly Amount
£450 - £850 dependant on room ratings and dependency score
£544 - £850 plus dependant on room ratings and dependency score
Useful Links and more information
There are other website’s that might be of help when looking for information related to the elderly.
The websites below are not under the control of Southern Healthcare and therefore have no
responsibility for their content.
Care Direct – Tel: 0845 155 1007
Information by Devon County Council
Direct Government – Website for government information
Department for Works and Pensions –
Age Concern
Provides information on ageing
Help The Aged
Provides information and support relating to elderly care
Care Aware
An advisory service in elderly care funding advice
Health Services
The national website for the National Health Service
Care Quality Commission
CQC the government body for Social Care Inspection
Registered Nursing Home Association
The registered Nursing Home association
The Department of Health
The National website for The Department of Health
Reviewed July2011D:\81928199.doc

Similar documents