Educational and training:
Assoc. Prof. Borjana V. Donkova, Ph.D.
Department of General and Inorganic Chemistry
Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy (former name Faculty of Chemistry),
University of Sofia “St. Kliment Ohridski”
1, J. Bourchier blvd., Sofia 1164, Bulgaria
tel. + 359 2 8161 214
e-mails: [email protected]
Education and professional realization:
M.Sc. in Chemistry (Specialty “Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry”) Faculty
of Chemistry, University of Sofia “St. Kliment Ohridski”
Chemist-researcher at Institute of high purity substances,
Faculty of Chemistry, University of Sofia
Ph.D. student at Faculty of Chemistry, University of Sofia
Fellow Assistant Professor at Department of General and
Inorganic Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Sofia
Assistant Professor in General and Inorganic Chemistry
Senior Assistant Professor
Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry (University of Sofia)
Thesis: Investigation of inclusion mechanism of 3d-elements in ZnC2O4.2H2O
precipitate and its application for obtaining of oxide materials.
Advisor: Assoc. Prof. M. Djarova
Chief Assistant Professor
Associate Professor in Inorganic Chemistry
Lectures: General chemistry (since 2007), Inorganic chemistry –Ist part/Chemistry of
elements (since 2011), Inorganic chemistry –IInd part/Advanced chemistry (since 2014),
High-purity substances (since 2005), Methods for preparation and purification of Inorganic
substances (since 2009).
Laboratory exercises and seminars: General chemistry, Chemistry of elements, Advanced
Chemistry, Methods for preparation of High-purity substances, Low-dimensional systems.
Member of the Faculty Council, Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, University of Sofia
Crystallization and cocrystallyzation processes at moderately and sparingly soluble
compounds; Thermal decomposition; Catalysis and photocatalysis; Nanoscale materials and
I. SCIENTIFIC PAPERS
1. Minkova, N., D. Todorovsky, B. Donkova. Synthesis and Purification of La2Si2O7. - Lant.
Act. Research 3 (1991) 349-355.
2. Minkova, N., D. Todorovsky, B. Donkova. Synthesis of La2SiO5 and its Separation from
La2O3. - Lant. Act. Research 3 (1991) 391-395.
3. Kirkova, E., M. Djarova, B. Donkova. Inclusion of Isomorphous Impurities during
Crystallization from Solutions. - Prog. Crystal Growth and Charact. 32 (1996) 111-134.
4. Donkova, B., J. Pencheva, M. Djarova. Influence of Complex Formation Upon Inclusion of
Mn(II), Co(II), Ni(II) and Cu(II) in ZnC2O4.2H2O. – Cryst. Res. Technol. 39 (3) (2004) 207213.
5. Donkova, B., D. Mehandjiev. Mechanism of decomposition of manganese (II) oxalate
dihydrate and manganese (II) oxalate trihydrate. – Thermochim. Acta 421 (1-2) (2004) 141149.
6. Pencheva, J., B. Donkova, M. Djarova, S. Maksimova. Adsorption of 3d-elements onto zinc
oxalate dihydrate in aqueous oxalate solutions. - Cryst. Res. Technol. 40 (4-5) (2005) 370379.
7. Donkova, B., D. Mehandjiev. Thermal-magnetic investigation of the decomposition of
copper oxalate – precursor for catalysts. - J. Mater. Sci. 40 (15) (2005) 3881-3886.
8. Nickolov, R.N., B.V. Donkova, K.I. Milenova, D.R. Mehandjiev. Porous texture of CuO
prepared from copper oxalate precursos. - Adsorption Science & Technology 24 (6), (2006)
9. Donkova, B.V., K.I. Milenova, D.R. Mehandjiev. Investigation on the catalytic activity of
doped low-percentage oxide catalysts Mn/ZnO obtained from oxalate precursor. - Cent. Eur.
J. Chem. 6 (1), (2008) 115-124.
10. Donkova, B., B. Kotseva, P. Vasileva, D. Mehandjiev. Thermal magnetic investigation of
the decomposition of NixMn1-xC2O4.2H2O –Thermochim. Acta 481 (1-2) (2009) 12–19.
11. Donkova, B.V., K. I. Milenova, D. R. Mehandjiev. Catalytic activity of doped low
percentage oxide catalysts Cu/ZnO obtained from oxalate precursor. – Oxid. Commun. 32
(3) (2009) 579–592.
12. Donkova, B., D. Dimitrov, M. Kostadinov, E. Mitkova, D. Mehandjiev. Catalytic and
photocatalytic activity of lightly doped catalysts Me:ZnO (Me = Cu, Mn). – Mater. Chem.
Phys. 123 (2-3) (2010) 563-568.
13. Vasileva, P., B. Donkova, I. Karadjova, C. Dushkin. Synthesis of starch-stabilized silver
nanoparticles and their application as a surface plasmon resonance-based sensor of hydrogen
peroxide. – Coll. Surf. A: Phys. Eng. Aspects 382 (1-3) (2011) 203–210.
14. Donkova, B., P. Vasileva, D. Nihtianova, N. Velichkova, P. Stefanov, D. Mehandjiev.
Synthesis, characterization and catalytic application of Au/ZnO nanocomposities, prepared
by coprecipitation. – J. Mater. Sci. 46 (22) (2011) 7134-7143.
15. Donkova, B., D. Mehandjiev. In situ thermal magnetic investigation of γ-MnC2O4.2H2O
decomposition. – Compt. Rend. Acad. Bul. Sci. 66 (7) (2013) 983-990.
16. Pronin, I.A., B.V. Donkova, D.Tz. Dimitrov, I.A. Averin, J.A. Pencheva, V.A. Moshnikov.
Relationship between photoluminescent and photocatalytic properties of zink oxide doped
with coper and manganese. – Semiconductors 48 (7) (2014) 842-847.
17. Donkova, B., G. Avdeev. Synthesis and decomposition mechanism of γ-MnC2O4·2H2O rods
under non-isothermal and isothermal conditions. – J. Therm. Anal. Calorim. 121 (2015) 567–
18. Nedyalkova, M.A., B.V. Donkova, V.D. Simeonov. Chemometric expertise of the
ecotoxicity/physicochemical features links of silver nanoparticles - environmental aspects. –
Journal of AOAC International 100 (2) (2017) 369-364.
19. Nedyalkova, M, B. Donkova, J. Romanova, G. Tzvetkov, S. Madurga, V. Simeonov. Iron
oxide nanoparticles - In vivo/in vitro biomedical applications and in silico studies. – Adv
Colloid Interface Sci. (2017) (accepted).
II. HISTORY OF CHEMISTRY
1. Donkova, B. Professor Dimitar Balarev. – Ann. Univ. Sofia, Fac. Chem. 97 (2004) 31-42.
2. Department of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry, Department of Inorganic Chemistry.
Bibliography (1891-2004). Compilers: A. Bojinova, Sv. Vankova, B. Donkova, Sn.
Dochevska, G. Ivanova, T. Ivanova, P. Kovacheva, V. Mavrodiev, V. Pelova, D.
Todorovsky. Edts. D. Tododrovsky, B. Donkova, Yu. Ivanova., St. Kl. Ohridski Univ.
Press., Sofia, 2007, pp. 212. ISBN 978-954-07-2499-7.
3. Donkova, B., G. Ivanova, D. Todorovski. The contribution of the Department of Inorganic
chemistry to the Annuaire de l’Universite de Sofia. - Ann. Univ. Sofia, Fac. Chem. 100,
4. Donkova, B., G. Ivanova. Literature heritage of academician Georgi Bliznakov
(bibliography). Compiler: D. Todorovsky. Edt. S. Tudzharova, St. Kl. Ohridski Univ. Press.,
Sofia, 2008, pp. 199, (p. 24-52). ISBN 978-954-07-2748-6.