The wardrobe malfunction — it`s a Hollywood moment that
The wardrobe malfunction — it’s a Hollywood moment that dates back to Marilyn’s
breezy white midi and was revived for our generation with a rip and a nip slip from
Justin to Janet at the Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show. With 2014’s bodycon
dresses wrapped tightly and booty shorts barely covering said booties, we were
practically due for a new one, and poor Nicki fell victim at last night’s VMAs.
The superstar slayed in her beaded bikini for “Anaconda,” but when she changed into
a black dress for “Bang Bang” it WOULDN’T CLOSE and she had to perform the
collabo holding it together. With her hands. Like a CHAMP. You might not be
guesting on any Jessie J jams any time soon, but wardrobe malfunctions happen IRL,
so we want you to be protected with these essentials to keep in your fashion
emergency kit at all times. So this doesn’t happen:
1. Double Stick Tape Strips ($10): Fashion tape is no longer Hollywood’s little
secret, and thank god for THAT. This pack of matchstick-size pieces is perfect to
stash in even the smallest clutch. To keep you secure in the smallest dress.
2. Static Guard: This is a must-have in your going out (or your at-the-office!)
emergency kit for those crazy clingy fabrics that be creepin’ up your legs while
you’re trying to be all demure. Don’t have a can of the OG SG on you? That
hairspray can do the trick in a pinch.
3. Dryer Sheets: Not only could these freshen up musty fabrics or keep clothing
smelling fresh during your travels, but they can get rid of deodorant stains on fabric
4. Whish Deodorant Wipes ($22): Ever leave your house without putting deodorant
on? LOL, right? Not always, so have one of these just in case.
5. Nippies ($15) and Nippies Basics ($10): You’ll never have a nip slip with these
colorful (fine, fine, or nude) stickies giving you extra backup under flimsy fabrics.
6. Anti-Friction Blister Stick + Rub Relief Strips: If you’re wearing new shoes, you
shouldn’t leave home without backup from blister protectors. Use a blister stick (PS
— runners, you can use Body Glide for this!) on areas where your feet will rub
against straps and stash a to-go option in your bag. Pro Tip: Break in even red carpetworthy heels by wearing them around your house pre-event with a pair of socks.
Sounds insane, but it’ll only look it. And it’s way worth those extra hours on the
7. Bra Converting Clip ($10): This will turn any old bra into the exact type of bra you
need it to be depending on your strappy dress of choice.
8. DIY Stain Stick: If you’ve ever slurped soup or spilled wine on a new fab frock,
you probably already have Tide To Go or Shout Wipes stashed in every wallet, purse
and pocket imaginable. Try DIYing your next stain stick if you’re feeling extra
crafty. (via Savvy Sugar)
9. Mini Sewing Kit ($6): This sounds like an obvious one, but if Nicki had some
thread and a safety pin or two, she would have been in much better hands than the
two holding her dress together, feel me? This one would be easy to DIY in an old
Altoid’s tin or just by curling up some pins and thread in a piece of felt.
10. Minimergency Hot Mess ($16): Yeah, we’ve all had a #hotmess moment or two.
Avoid it next time with a pre-packed kit that includes everything from a tampon to a
little bit o’ floss. DIY your own with goodies customized to your particular, possible
minimergencies. And just make sure there’s a bobby pin in there. In case we need
Have you ever been in a wardrobe malfunction situation? Share your fashion
fixes and what’s in your emergency kit below!