RUNNING DOWN THE RAPIDS Vol. 2
Transcription
RUNNING DOWN THE RAPIDS Vol. 2
RUNNING DOWN THE RAPIDS Vol. 2 BOATS ON THE ST. LAWRENCE, 1832 - RUNNING DOWN THE RAPIDS, Vol. 2 The steamer Britannic (Rocket), in the Cornwall drydocks, ca. 1930. Canal carpenter’s shop is in the background. BOATS ON THE ST. LAWRENCE, 1832 - Text, Ian Bowering Photography and computer, Natalie Ménard Cover: The S.S. Cheiftan lines-up at the entrance of the Cornwall Canal, ca. 1900 “viewed from the lawn in front of Canada Cotton’s Weave Shed.” Copyright, Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Historical Society, 2006 Photographs, prints, and artifacts are from the archives and collection of the SD & G Historical Society maintained in the Kinsmen Room at the Cornwall Community Museum except where otherwise credited. Copies of this catalogue may be obtained from the Historical Society either by visiting the Cornwall Community Museum in the Wood House, or by contacting the SD & G Historical Society, PO Box 773, Cornwall, Ontario, K6H 5T5. Telephone, 613 936-0842. Email, [email protected] Running the Rapids - new research and correction! Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co., - Canada Steamship Lines Canal Boats City of Hamilton City of Kingston City of Toronto Fairmount Farrandoc Grey Beaver Heika Ila John E.F. Misener Keydon Lawrencecliffe Hall Manchester Prospector Mapleheath Menihek Lake Murray Bay Notre Dame des Nieges Oris Parkdale Quinette Seguin Ville de Quebec Wellandoc Convict Ship Success Ferries - Aultsville Ferries Empey’s Horse Ferry Yennek Charlolette-Essex Steamboats S.S. Britannic S.S. Chieftan S.S. Como S.S. Dalhousie S.S. Emerald S.S. Fairy S.S. Gracie S.S. Ladysmith S.S. Princess Louise S.S. St. Francis Tugboats Minnicog Myra Petrel Rouille William Hoopes 1 1 back cover 21 21 22 22 23 23 24 24 25 26 26 27 27 28 28 29 30 30 31 32 33 34 38 40 40 title page front cover 42 42 42 43 44 46 46 49 50 37 51 52 53 4 RUNNING THE RAPIDS NEW RESEARCH AND CORRECTION! Historical research is an ongoing process and one of the common mistakes made by historians, including this writer, is to take facts presented by standard references as the last word on a subject. In Volume one, I asserted, based on current research, that the rapids were first run around 1835 and that regular service was not instituted until 1847 or 1848. Within two weeks of publication I came across Frank Mackey’s masterful work Steamboat Connections, Montreal to Upper Canada, 1816 - 1843, that changed the “facts.” On April 18, 1832 the Dalhousie ran the rapids between Prescott and Lake St. Francis. (pg. 111, Mackey, see entry for the Dalhousie) In June 1834, the Canadian built steam powered “cigarboat” Nonsuch became the first steamer to run the St. Lawrence Rapids to Montreal. (pg. 139, Mackey) On November 10, 1838 the provincial government hired the 110-ton steamer Dolphin to successfully take a group of rebel prisoners through the Long Sault Rapids from Prescott to Cornwall. (pg. 161, Mackey) Mackey continues that while large steamers might not hazard the rapids, smaller steamers were offering regular passenger service by May 1842. (pg. 179, Mackey) Mackey continues that on May 20, 1841 the steamer Pioneer left Kingston carrying eleven cabin passengers and ran all the rapids...reaching Montreal in 26 hours. (pg. 180, Mackey) RICHELIEU AND ONTARIO NAVIGATION COMPANY, 1845 - 1913 CANADA STEAMSHIP LINES LTD., 1913 (See Vol. 1 for additional details) Electroplated silver serving spoon used on the R. & O. Line. Canada Steamship Lines Ltd. of Montreal can trace its origins to 1845 with the formation of La Société de Navigation de la Rivière Richelieu. Running boats between Chambly, Quebec and Montreal the Company grew steadily to emerge as the Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Company in 1875. Now based in Montreal the firm introduced the popular cruise between Niagara and the Saguenay Rivers and in 1890 they published their first summer guide. The following is a pictorial listing of the travel guides in the archives of the Cornwall Community Museum. 5 1893 Timetable 6 7 Detail of the Cornwall segment of the trip, 1897 Playing-up the beauty and excitement of the trip, the Company claimed that “Niagara to the Sea” was “The Finest Inland Water Trip in the World!” Covering 800 miles from Toronto, through Lake Ontario, the 1,000 Islands, the exciting descent of the wonderful Rapids of the St. Lawrence, Montreal, Quebec, and the sublime scenery of the Lower St. Lawrence below Quebec, and of the Saguenay River. For the tourist traffic over this large area the Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co. provides the following: For the Toronto-Montreal Line - steamers Toronto, Bohemian, Spartan, Corsican, Caspian, Columbian. ...then the Rapids du Plats, which as well as the 1900 Timetable 8 Galops, are of moderate sized swells, merely a foretaste of what is to come, then Morrisburg (population, 4000) an important dairying centre, after which an Obelisk is seen on the left, where the battle of Crysler’s Farm was fought, an incident of the War of 1812, and after passing Woodlands, a picturesque point on the north side of Crozle’s Island, the LONG SAULT RAPIDS come into view. These are the first of the great rapids, 9 miles in length, and in some respects the greatest of them all, containing, as they do, the heaviest swells on the river, especially in one part known as the “Cellar.” The sensation of sliding down hill in the descent of the rapid is quite perceptible. A sterling teaspoon showing the Empire State shooting the “Long Sault Rapids, Cornwall, Ontario,” circa 1910. Depicting Champlain and the Canadian coat of arms along with the word Canada, the maker’s of this spoon made sure they didn’t limit the appeal of this spoon to the Rapids. Near the foot of the rapids on the right, is the Indian village of St. Regis. (The copywriter needed to take a cruise.) The bell in the church at St. Regis has a history. It was captured by a British frigate on its way from France, and sold to a church at Deerfield Mass. The Indians, hearing the fate of their bell attacked Deerfield, and brought the bell, with a large number of captives, away in triumph. Nearly opposite St. Regis is CORNWALL (population, 10,000), noted for its cotton and woolen manufacturers. 9 Vessels going west take the Cornwall Canal, 12 miles, to avoid the rapids. The centre of the river ceases to be the boundary between Canada and the United States near Cornwall. Stanley Island, a pleasant resort, is 3 miles below, and then, for the next 30 miles, the river widens into Lake St. Francis... 1900 Guidebook 10 1907 Timetable 1911 Timetable 11 1912 Guidebook 1913 Timetable 12 By 1905 the firm boasted 22 steamers. On December 4, 1913 it merged with Inland Lines Ltd., Northern Navigation Co., 1,000 Island Seamboat Co., St. Lawrence River Steamboat Co., Lake Ontario & Bay of Quinte Steamboat Co., Niagara Navigation Co., Quebec Steamship Co., Canada Interlake Lines Ltd., and Ontario & Quebec Navigation Co. to create Canada Steamship Lines, headquartered in Montreal. 1914 Diary The new company had authorized capital of “$25 million equally divided between 125,000 7% cumulative preference shares of $100 each and 125,000 ordinary shares. The company was also authorized to issue 30-year first mortgage debenture stock from time to time.” (pg. 70, Collard.) The R. & O. was acquired by exchanging stock for the shares in Canada Steamship Lines. In practice every ten shares of R. & O. stock netted “12 fully paid 7% cumulative preference shares...and four fully paid ordinary shares.” (pg. 70, Collard.) On the face of it Canada Steamship Lines was free from debt and showed net earnings of $1,494,554.48 for the year ending December 31, 1912. However, as Edgar Collard points out many of the ships were old and many of the so called assets were little more than liabilities. Similarly, the stock was overvalued based on $8 million worth of “goodwill,” a sentiment according to Collard that soon proved to be “little more than wishful thinking.” (pg. 72, Collard.) The outbreak of World War I in 1914 dramatically changed the industry by shrinking the passenger service and creating a huge demand for freighters. Letter donated by P. Sindell, Montreal. 13 1915 Guidebook Notice donated by P. Sindell, Montreal. 14 The Great White Fleet To add glamour to the voyage from Niagara to the Sea, Canada Steamship Lines adopted the policy of keeping their boats as white as possible, (a reaction to the coal smoke of old 19th century steamships) advertising boats flying their colours as the “Great White Fleet.” The trip to the sea was broken-down into three parts: Niagara to Prescott; Prescott to Montreal; and Montreal to the Saguenay. The Rapids Queen (built in 1892), Rapids Prince (built 1910) and Rapids King (built 1907) sailed the Prescott-Montreal leg of the route. Of the three, only the Rapids Queen with its five foot draught was trouble free. The Rapids Prince ran aground once in 1922, when the steering broke and again in 1942. The Rapids King, which had been constructed “without consulting the pilots who knew the rapids, with a draught of six feet, five inches” was the big disappointment. “She went aground again and again, until eventually pilots refused to take her down anymore” and was assigned to the Great Lakes where she rolled due to her light weight. (pg. 142, Collard.) For the 1927 navigation season the company asserted: It was the oldest transportation Company in the Dominion. It has a total investment of $42,611,908. It operates 113 ships, the largest inland fleet in the world. It has a 4 million bushel capacity grain elevator. It has 16 terminals on the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River. It has representatives and maintains offices in 30 cities. Its shipyards built and launched a total of 14,450 gross tons. It paid out in wages and salaries during the year $3,375,000. It transported 1,517,000 passengers. It transported 6,967,000 tons of freight. 15 In order to add to the romance of the cruise down the St. Lawrence, Canada Steamship Lines started to promote historic French-Canadian cottage industries from the late 1930s. Offering unique hand-made souvenirs, the Line sold homespun cloth, ceintures flechees, quilts and rugs made in and around Murray Bay. 16 Menu S.S. Rapids Prince, 1910 - 1949 Four piece English silver plate chaffing dish. Martin Hall Co. Ltd. Sheffield, ca 1900. The Rapids Prince at the Cornwall Harbour. 17 1927 Schedule 1929 Schedule 1937 Schedule 18 By 1950 the paddlewheel steamer Kingston that carried passengers from Toronto to Prescott was worn out, unwilling to build a new ship Canada Steamship Lines cancelled the trips through the St. Lawrence Rapids and replaced it with train service from Toronto to Montreal where passengers could board the S.S. Richelieu to Murray Bay. (The Quebec, St. Lawrence and Tadoussac were also available for Lower St. Lawrence cruises.) 1950 Season brochure 19 The Prince of Wales and the steamer Kingston. (built 1855, aka Algerian, Bavarian, Cornwall, the second Kingston was built in 1901.) “The Commercial Advertiser” from Canton, New York, copied the following story from “The Freeholder,” on November 4, 1924. PRINCE GUEST OF CORNWALL IN ‘60 (August 30, 1860) RECALL VISIT OF YOUTH LATER KING EDWARD VII Tuesday, August 28, was the day when the people of Cornwall and (Dickinson) Landing were enabled to see for themselves the heir of the British throne and the eldest son of Queen Victoria. Through lack of exact knowledge as to his definite arrival, the preparation in charge of the mayor, Dr. Allan, and a committee, were rather hurried but were none the less thorough and the results entirely satisfactory. The station at which he arrived about 2 p.m. was elaborately decorated, “a nicely carved chair, surmounted by the speaker’s coat of arms, loaned by Hon. J.S. Macdonald and used by him while speaker of the Assembly of Canada” being placed at the centre of the platform. Appropriate mottoes made by the ladies of the town were hung in conspicuous places. William Notman, carte de visite of John Sandfield Macdonald. It would fun to believe that this is the chair readied for the Prince, but as this photograph was taken in a studio in Montreal, it is not. The chair is in Kingston. About 2,000 people greeted the prince with hearty cheers when his train drew in, a number of school children singing the national anthem...With the royal party were the Governor-General the Duke of Newcastle, General Bruce and others. His Excellency, the Governor-General introduced His Worship the Mayor who in turn introduced Rev. Patton, Judge Jarvis, Rev. Mr. Davis, Hon. P. Vankoughnet, Sherriff McIntosh. After leaving Cornwall the train went to Dickinson Landing, where the people of Osnabruck had gathered in large numbers to give a patriotic welcome to the prince. The station was handsomely decorated, also the distance of one mile from it to the steamboat wharf, from which the party shot the Long Sault Rapids on the steamer Kingston. The gentlemen chosen to make arrangements were Rev. C.A. White, M.A. Patterson, J.R. Ault, William Colquhoun, M.W. Read, John Croil. 20 An address prepared by Revs. R. Dobie, R. Garrett, Messrs.W. Colquhoun, W.H. Wagoner, M.D. and W.S. Wood, was read. His escort to the wharf consisted of the Cornwall Cavalry, Messrs.S. Ault, W.H. Baker, H. Empey, J. Bockus, M.H. Read, D. Whyatt, G. Ferris, J. Adams. A carpet of maple leaves, 80 feet in length made by the Osnabruck ladies, was specially mentioned by the Duke of Newcastle to Wm. D. Mattice, M.P.P., who had greatly interested himself in the preparations. Captain Wm. D. Wood, Cornwall Troop of Cavalry, 1862 - 65. Photograph by William Notman Studio, Montreal. William’s son, Walter lived in the Wood House until his death in 1952. Having shot the rapids, the party landed at the elegantly decorated river wharf but the prince did not make his appearance until evening, when a grand ball was held in the hall, where though on short notice, elaborate preparations had been made. Refreshments were provided by Mrs. Hitchcock in a style that called forth the praise of all. There were about 50 couples attending, the dancing being kept up ‘till 2 a.m. Special mention was accorded the grand illumination of the streets. “The Commercial Hotel looked splendid. Mr. Hunter had a large transparency in his window with the words ‘Cornwall Welcomes the Duke of Cornwall,’ in the centre of which were the prince’s arms, crown and ostrich feathers. On the same street, the buildings of A. Duncan and George Wood (postmaster) were brilliantly lighted. Mr. Wood’s presented a magnificent appearance, 16 lights burning in each window...the private residences of Wm. Pitts, Sheriff MacIntyre, J.F. Pringle, Esq., Rev. Mr. Patton, the mayor, Judge Jarvis and Hon. J.S. Macdonald were very brilliantly lighted and produced a very fine effect.” 21 CITY OF KINGSTON, 1925-1958 The canal package freighter City of Kingston was built for Canada Steamship Lines in 1925 by Davie Shipbuilding and Repairing Co., Levi Quebec. It was scrapped in 1962. 230 feet long draught 11 feet Gross tonnage: 1,690 CITY OF TORONTO, 1925 - 1961 The Canal package freighter City of Toronto was built for Canada Steamship Lines in 1926. 330 Feet long Gross tonnage: 1,688 Scrapped, 1961 Passing through the locks at the eastern entrance of the Cornwall Canal, 1952. 22 FAIRMOUNT 1923 - 1970 aka Metcalfe The canal bulk carrier Fairmount was built in 1923 and became part of Canada Steamships’ fleet in 1927. Gross tonnage: 1,851 Lock 17, ca. 1950. FARRANDOC, 1929 - 1959 At lock 17 in the Cornwall Canal, 1952. 23 GREY BEAVER In the Cornwall Canal at the Augustus Street swing bridge, ca. 1932. (Sailed 1929 - 1965) HEIKA The Heika exiting the east end of the Cornwall Canal, April 1957. Photograph donated by the “Standard-Freeholder.” 24 ILA aka Cygnus, 1940 - 1954 The vessel was built in 1940 by the Langesund shipyards in Norway and christened the Cygnus. Sailing between Europe and the Great Lakes, the ship was variously owned by the Fjell Line, the Swedish-Chicago Line and the Fabre Line. During the December, 1955 freeze-up of the St. Lawrence Canal system Captain Geoffrey Hawthorn of Cornwall piloted the vessel out. (Hawthorn also worked for the Maid of the Mist Steamboat Company of Niagara Falls.) In 1954 the ship was acquired by Lyykes Rederi A/s of Bergen, Norway and renamed the Ila. 251.2 feet long, 41.7 feet wide, draught 14.8 feet Gross tonnage: 1,349 Compound engine with low pressure turbine The Ila in the Cornwall Canal, December, 29, 1956 Photograph donated by the “Standard-Freeholder.” JOHN E.F. MISENER The John E.F. Misener, operated by Scott Misener Steamships Ltd. entering The Seaway Locks in Massena, ca. 1960. Photograph donated by the “Standard-Freeholder.” 25 KEYDON, 1927 - 1961 aka Swiftwater A summer of 1956 edition of the “Standard-Freeholder” reported that: A new era in St. Lawrence navigation opened...with the passing of the Keystone Transports Ltd. freighter Keydon through the Cornwall Canal - en route to Toledo, Ohio, with the first shipment of iron ore from the rich Ungava fields. She loaded Monday at Seven Islands, Quebec and her master Capt.A.F. Anderson, said he expects to unload next Monday. The 2,500 tons of ore carried in the holds of the Keydon will be carried by rail to the American Rolling Mills in Hamilton, Ohio. A sister ship, the Keywest (aka Swiftwater), also is headed for the lakes with a similar cargo. She follows the Hall Corporation Steamer, John H. Price. Capt. Anderson, said three other Keystone vessels are scheduled for loading at Seven Islands. They are the Keyshay, Keyport and Keybar. ... Use of the canal system along the St. Lawrence to the Lakes cuts costs of transportation and slices a major portion of total distance to the steel and iron mills. When the trade is fully established, railroad cars will be used only to carry ore to the port of Seven Islands and from point of unloading to any number of mills in the heavy industrial area around Pittsburgh. The iron ore carrier Keydon in the Cornwall Canal, ca. 1954. 26 LAWRENCECLIFFE HALL The tramp steamer Lawrencecliffe Hall, in the Cornwall Canal, November 1956. Photograph donated by the “Standard-Freeholder.” MANCHESTER PROSPECTOR The Manchester Prospector in the Cornwall Canal, at the Canada Steamship docks at the foot of Pitt Street, April 1, 1957, Photograph donated by the “Standard-Freeholder.” 27 MAPLEHEATH, 1911 - 1959 aka Toiler The canal bulk carrier Mapleheath was built in 1911 and became part of Canada Steamship Lines’ fleet in 1917. Gross tonnage: 1,692 Eastern end of the Cornwall Canal, ca. 1950. MENIHEK LAKE, 1959 The Menihek Lake was built at Canada Steamship Lines’ Collingwood shipyard in 1959. “At 25,347 deadweight tonnage she was ‘the largest ship ever built on the Canadian side of the Great Lakes.” (pg. 331, Collard) Designed to carry iron-ore she was built for Carryore Ltd. of Montreal. The Menihek Lake, in the Seaway locks, Massena, May, 29 1959. 28 MURRAY BAY, 1963 The Murray Bay was constructed by Canada Steamship Lines to fit the Seaway as a lake bulk carrier in 1963. Constructed for speed in 1967 the Murray Bay went from the Lakehead to Baie-Comeau in four days, eleven hours. (pg. 332, Collard). 730 feet long, 75 foot beam, 39 foot draught. Gross tonnage: 17,783 Steam turbine engine. NOTRE DAME des NIEGES The Notre Dames des Nieges passing the Long Sault Rapids, 1957. Photograph donated by the “Standard-Freeholder.” 29 ORIS 1949 - The Oris was built in 1949 by J. Crown and Sons Ltd., of Sunderland, England, for D-s A-s Ora of Arendal, Norway. A typical small European trans-Atlantic freighter, the low operating and repair costs of vessels such as the Oris allowed shippers to carry small cargoes from Europe to the St. Lawrence system and still show a profit. In 1956 the “Standard-Freeholder,” reported: One of the familiar ‘Fjell’ line of vessels, the Oris presents trim lines and a clean appearance which are hallmarks of all the ‘foreign’ vessels traversing the river route. Vessels like the Oris are among the first to appear with the opening of the navigation season and are among the last to leave before the canal system closes for the winter. During the winter months they trade to Mediterranean and coastal ports. The Oris in the Cornwall Canal, November 10, 1956. Photograph donated by the “Standard-Freeholder.” 30 PARKDALE, 1959 aka Camrose, 1927 Palmleaf, 1942 Blanche Hindman, 1949 Built in Michigan in 1903 and scrapped in 1959. The Parkdale in the east end of the Cornwall Canal, January, 1957. The steeple in the rear is probably Nativity’s. QUINNETTE, 1914 - ca 1957 aka Louis G. 1957 The diesel powered schooner (goelette) Quinnette was built at Capucins, Quebec. Rebuilt at Green Island in 1941 she belonged to Abel Lavoie of La Petit Rivière St. Francois, Quebec who sold her to Georges Dallaire of St. Simeon, Quebec. The Quinnette struck a buoy off the entrance of the Cardinal Canal, in 1955 and sank claiming the life of the owner’s son who was sleeping below deck at the time. The boat and its cargo of steel, however, were subsequently salvaged. These family owned and operated wooden-hulled schooners, which used sails for auxiliary power until the 1940s, were a common sight on the Lower St. Lawrence. 92.1 feet long by 27.8 feet wide, draught 8.5 feet Gross tonnage: 150, registered tonnage 120 Single screw 180 BHP The schooner Quinnette, loaded with pulpwood in the Cornwall Canal, 1956. Photograph donated by the “StandardFeeeholder.” 31 SEGUIN, ca. 1917 1890 - retired, broken-up 1944 aka Arvida, City of Montreal, Mapleboro, Seguin The canal package freighter Seguin was acquired by Canada Steamship Lines in 1917. Built in Owen Sound Rebuilt, 1908 207 feet long; 34 feet wide Gross tonnage: 1,141 A photocard of the Seguin entering the east end of the Cornwall Canal, ca. 1920. The Canal office is the building on the left, the Dundas Mill is in the centre and the Canada Mill in the distance. 32 VILLE DE QUEBEC, 1954 Sister ship Ville de Montreal The Ville de Quebec was constructed for the French Line (La Cie Generale Transatlantique, Paris) by N.V. Scheepswerf en Machine-fabriek de Biesbosch-Dodrecht in the Netherlands. Registered at Bordeaux, she was launched in December 1954, and entered the French Lines’ Great Lakes service in the spring. The ship had four hatches, four holds with a closed shelter deck. The two S.L.M. diesel engines enabled her to achieve 13 knots. During the Canadian winter freeze-up the ship worked the North-Africa-Europe route transporting fruit and other commodities. 253 feet long by 43 feet wide, draught 19 feet Gross tonnage: 2,388 Single screw engine, 2,500 brake horsepower The Ville de Quebec in the Cornwall Canal ca. 1955. Photograph donated by the “Standard-Freeholder.” 33 WELLANDOC, 1922 - 1963 aka Edward L. Strong, 1922 Playfair Sherbrooke, 1926 - 1946 Arosa, 1946 - 1951 Ida O, 1951 Wellandoc, 1952 The Wellandoc was built in Three Rivers, Quebec in 1922. Originally constructed to sail the St. Lawrence and Great Lakes it was christened the Edward L. Strong. During World II she was registered as a British vessel and saw service in the Maritime’s and along the French coast. Initially owned by the Hall interests ownership was transferred to Playfair who sold it to Canada Steamship Lines in 1926 when it was renamed the Shebrooke, the name under which she sailed during the War. After the War the ship was sold again and in 1946 it was registered in Panama under the name Arosa. In 1951 she was again sold, this time to an Italian firm and called the Ida O. A year later N.M. Patterson and Sons Ltd. of Fort William purchased it and named it the Wellandoc. In the mid ‘50s she was sold again to the Federal Navigation Company. 43.2 feet wide, draught 18 feet Gross tonnage: 2,047 Single screw 1,200 indicated horsepower The Wellandoc in the Cornwall Canal, ca. 1955. The ship was converted for salt water sailing when the bridge was relocated amidship. Photograph donated by the “Standard-Freeholder.” 34 CONVICT SHIP SUCCESS, 1790 - 1946 “The Freeholder,” for June 28, 1923 reported: OLDEST VESSEL AFLOAT Convict ship Success on her way to Great Lakes Held in Cornwall for Repairs. And there they left the convicts A starvin’ on the strand, Where they were hitched like horses For to plow Van Diemen’s Land. - Old Sea Song The curious line-up for a peek, but due to regulations they could not tour the Success docked in the Cornwall Canal, 1923. A vessel with a history and a mission, came up the River St. Lawrence on Sunday towed by the tug Myra, and was tied-up on Monday in the Cornwall Canal opposite Central Park, to undergo some slight repairs, to wit - the replacing of a couple of planks in her bow that were broken when entering the Lachine Canal. This vessel - Success - recalls one of the Blackest pages of British history, the details of which have been the theme of several thrilling works of fiction, founded on facts almost too horrible to contemplate and well night impossible to realize. Success is claimed to be the oldest ship afloat. She was built in (Burma), British India, in 1790 133 years ago - and was launched as an armed British merchantman, bristling with brass guns 35 and fitted up without regard to expense for the carriage of costly wares of the Orient to the ends of the Seven Seas, and the reception of princes, nabobs and wealthy traders, whose treasures she carried....She is 135 feet long, 30 feet beam, and tonnage of 1,100. Her timbers are of solid Burmese teak, the strongest of all woods, excelling even the famous British oak, and her solid sides are 2 ½ feet thick, with everything else that makes for strength and solidity in proportion. Her square stern and bluff bows indicate that speed was not her strong point, but she was trim and smart, and in her time was one of the crack vessels in the India Trade. Even yet there are to be seen relics of elaborate ornamentation, and her figure head...is a beautiful woman, whose innocent face and figure were a sad and inappropriate emblem in her latter days of crime and cruelty. For a dozen years Success justified her name and her history was uneventful, save for an occasional brush with a piratical craft, ‘till in 1802 she was chartered by the British Government to transport to the Antipodes the overflow of British gaols - people of both sexes and all ages, sentenced to imprisonment for terms from 7 years to the term of natural life for offences that would now be considered trivial...a little over a century ago, no less than 145 offences rendered a man or woman liable to the death penalty, but the hangmen were kept so busy that for less heinous crimes the death sentence was commuted to transportation to life or for 14 years and exceptionally lights cases to a minimum of 7 years. The gallows would have been preferable in many cases. No wonder that it has been truly said Britain’s penal laws were a disgrace to civilization. As she lay in the Cornwall Canal Success presented a fine appearance. Originally a full-rigged ship, she is now a barkentume (sic) and was a good sailer. The main mast of the original spar of teak that was put in the ship, and is as sound as the day she was built, said to be the largest and most valuable piece of teak in the world. In the Cornwall Canal across from Central Park, note the Post Office at Pitt and 2nd Streets on the left. 36 There are three decks, the cells on the middle and lower deck, dingy places, they are damp and cold, the heavy door fastened with a huge bolt. Ordinary prisoners were on the middle deck and had light through a small hole in the door. Bad as conditions were on the middle deck they were worse below as to light and ventilation, the cells being smaller and without any hole in the door. Worst of all were the cells for condemned prisoners, and the black holes where insubordinates were confined from one to 100 days, chained by the wrists and almost incapable of motion. Holes were worn in the floor by the feet of prisoners when bracing themselves against the motion of the ship. Little wonder that many men became violently insane when there confined...There are 72 cells intended for three persons each, but on some voyages there were over 350 prisoners... The prison chapel is a heavily-barred enclosure where, as a reward for good behaviour, the men were mustered on Sundays, the chaplain standing outside to conduct divine services. Dangerous prisoners were confined in the tiger’s den, where rioting was quelled by firing through the bars. The decks show the wear of the feet of thousands of prisoners and are grooved by the heavy punishment balls dragged by men made desperate by cruelty and injustice. Chains, leg irons, weights, handcuffs and all of the instruments of torture and that fiendish cruelty could suggest are grouped together. On the poop deck is seen the iron maiden, of which one reads in middle-age histories, where a prisoner was shut-up ‘till death terminated his sufferings.” .... Naturally the death rate was heavy - equal to that in Africa slave ships - almost half the total in some cases... Until 1851, Success continued in her hideous trade, when she was permanently stationed as a receiving prison in Hobart’s bay, Australia. Her commander, Captain John Price...seems from all accounts to have been a fiend in human shape... The brutality and inhumanity of the treatment of transported convicts roused fierce indignation in Australia, almost leading to a revolution and Government investigation resulted in the abandonment of many of the worst features. Success continued to be used as a prison ship, and in 1885, she was scuttled and sank in Sidney harbour. Five years later she was raised, to be exhibited to the present generation as an educational object lesson and a vivid reminder of an almost forgotten period of penal history. She was exhibited for a time in Australia, and brought to Britain where millions of people visited her, including crowned heads and other notables. Success is now the property of Captain D.H. Smith, who with an adventure seeking crew, sailed from Liverpool in 1912, and in spite of the predictions of the shipping world, succeeded in navigating under her own sails, to Boston, unaccompanied by a tug or steamer. With a crew 37 worn out and half-starved, the old craft, battled with the stormy waves of the North Atlantic... Returning from the Pacific coast the ship came to New Orleans and was exhibited (throughout the south), and the Atlantic ports on her way (to the Great Lakes.) Owing to customs regulations it was not permissible for the general public to inspect Success at Cornwall, but the rules were relaxed sufficiently here to allow a small party to go over her... The repairs were completed rapidly by W. Bingley & Son, Cornwall shipwrights, and on Monday evening the convict ship towed by the tug Myra, left for Buffalo... Cornwallites never got to tour the Success as it by-passed Cornwall in 1928 on its way east. In 1931 the vessel was sold to Lawrence Jontzen of Cleveland , Ohio. Touring the Great Lakes she was finally acquired by Walter Kolbe in 1943. She burned to the water-line in 1946. Photocard of the Success with her tug the Myra. The Myra (1884-1930) was operated by the Ogdensburg Coal and Towing Co., under the command of Captain Luke Mallan. (pg. 39, O’Dette) 38 AULTSVILLE FERRIES Empey’s horse-ferry, ca. 1890. A manuscript in the Museum’s collection relates that: For many years Aultsville was a port of entry. Ferries of various types operated to and from the State of New York at Louisville Landing. The first ferry was a boat which was run by horsepower; the horses stepping on a sort of tread-mill which connected with the paddle-wheels at the side of the boat. The owner of the boat was Norman Empey, who sold out to Robert Donnelly. This boat ran by signal, a flag being raised on either side of the river when the boat was needed. The dock was situated east of the village near the Donnelly farm. The farmers in the district who traded or sold cattle got them across the river by means of this boat. Sunday School picnicers traveled to the nearby islands by means of the ferry. 39 Between trips the horses grazed along the roadside, often rounded-up and brought to their places by boys when the signal was given. The Customs Office was in the home of Durham Cook, subsequently owned by Mrs. Irene Cross, and was a considerable distance from the dock. Robert Donnelly found it inconvenient and closed the ferry sometime in 1910 or 1911. With the arrival of the automobile it was apparent that there would be possible business between the two countries. In 1914 Stanley Dafoe built a scow which was run by a motor boat lashed to the side of the scow. The first one held two cars, later he had one that held three. Previous to 1914 it had not been necessary to pass Customs inspection at Louisville, in fact in ferrying passengers across in a row boat one could land anywhere along the shore. Now it was not allowed and after considerable correspondence with Washington, an Emigration Office was set-up. The first year fourteen cars were ferried. The Aluminum Plant at Massena brought quite a lot of business, as a number of Canadian young men from the surrounding district went to Massena to work and returned home every two or three weeks for the weekend. As the business grew other scows were built and put on the run, until at one time there were seven. These scows were also used to ferry young cattle to the islands for summer grazing. With the increase in tourist traffic this became a business port: cars coming from across America, in Canada, others saw a ferry as a good investment. In 1926 a company formed of Montreal and Kingston men, with interests held by Ben Lague and Karl Wells brought a boat here which they named Aloumas, the name being formed from Aultsville, Louisville and Massena. Some of the local men, Stanley and William Dafoe of Aultsville and Robert Weaver, Ed Gibson and Bob Berry of Louisville Landing formed a company and purchased a small gasoline boat called the Yennek, which held five cars. 40 The ferry Yennek, 1926 - 28. It was replaced two years latter with a larger boat equipped to load either end that could hold sixteen cars. This boat the Charolette-Essex was brought from Lake Champlain by way of the Erie barge Canal and Lake Ontario. Dobie Vallance and Poll Brownell were two of the original ferry-men. They were later joined by Thorald Cross. A photocard of the steam ferry Charlotte-Essex, 1928 - 30. 41 A ferry “war” developed, which turned the Port of Aultsville into a very important place as there were more cars ferried here than at Prescott and Ogdensburg. The excitement was considerable as well as an attraction for miles around. It was found that these boats were expensive to run and the scow-ferry was in operation about thirteen years, when owing to the bridges west and east of Aultsville, business declined and in 1943 the Customs Office closed. Walter Evans, assisted by Claude Hanes were Customs Officers from 1917 1936, both were World War I veterans. Aerial view of Aultsville, 1920. 42 S.S. COMO, 1875-1916 Built in Sorel, Quebec for 100 passengers. 95 feet long, 17 feet wide. 75 tons Rebuilt in 1906 as a barge. Notice in the September 11, 1880 edition of the “Cornwall Reporter.” S.S. DALHOUSIE, 1819 - 1834 To provide integrated travel to and from Upper Canada, stage coach line owner Horace Dickinson (with his brother Barnabas) became part owner in the Dalhousie. She was not launched, however, until 1822 due to legal wrangling over the steam engine. Put into service between Prescott and Kingston the Dalhousie was said to have a “handsome and commodious Cabin, containing 16 berths, with a swing division to separate the Ladies’ from the Gentlemens’ apartment.” (pg. 34, Mackey) On April 18, 1832 the Dalhousie ran the rapids between Prescott and Lake St. Francis. (pg. 110, Mackey) Sailing down-river from Lancaster, she caught fire and sank in 1834. 76 feet long, 31 feet 4 inches wide, draught, four feet 100 tons sidewheeler driven by a 20 horsepower engine S.S. EMERALD, 1907 - 1914 aka Garnet, 1885 - 1907 The May 12, 1887 edition of “The Cornwall Standard” reported: The steamer Garnet was sold by auction last Saturday to Mr. Oliver Gillespie, for $8,000. Mr. H.E. Carpenter, auctioneer, conducted the sale. Mr. Gillespie intends running the Garnet between Valleyfield and Montreal this season, making daily trips. In 1898 the Garnet stopped at St. Regis, Summerstown, Lancaster, St. Anicet, Port Lewis, St. Zotique, Valleyfield, Coteau Landing, Cedars, Melocheville and Lachine picking-up passengers and freight. It went into winter drydock in Cornwall in November. 43 In 1907 the Garnet was renamed the Emerald and owned by the Campbell family of Cornwall. Three years later the boat advertised that for the summer it would: ...leave Montreal every Friday, noon, remaining at Valleyfield over night. Leave Valleyfield at 7 a.m., arriving in Cornwall Saturday noon. Starting again at 1 o’clock and reaching Morrisburg at 7 p.m. Returning, leaves Morrisburg Monday at 7 a.m., arriving in Cornwall at noon, calling at intermediate ports. Leaves for Valleyfield and Montreal at 1 p.m. on Monday. A. Clarke, General Manager. For tickets for this line and for Strs. City of Montreal and City of Ottawa, apply to Arnold Smith, Cornwall. Owned by O. Gillespie, Cornwall, 1886; Miss M. Gillespie, 1895 - 1901. Montreal and Cornwall Navigation Company, 1907 - 1944 condemned. Built in Valleyfield for 260 passengers 117 feet long by 20 feet wide Paddle-wheels S.S. FAIRY The June 9, 1882 edition of the “The Franklin Gazette” of Malone, New York reported: The steamer Fairy owned by Mrs. Dickinson (sic) and McClaren of Cornwall is to be placed on route between Dundee, Cornwall and intermediate ports, next week as we are creditably informed. 44 S.S. GRACIE, 1894 - 1916 Ad from the June 2, 1899, “Standard.” The June 3, 1898 number of the “Standard” advertised: CORNWALL & MASSENA FERRY The steamer Gracie has been lengthened and power increased. Will commence her daily trip between Cornwall and Massena about April 25, leaving Cornwall at 7:30 a.m. and the pump house at 8 a.m., arriving at Massena at 9 a.m. Leave Massena at 11 a.m. arriving at Cornwall at 12:30 p.m. Special trips when required afternoon and evening to Massena, Hogansburg, Stanley Island and trip around Cornwall Island during construction of railway bridge. Private parties may engage steamer by the hour. Telephone No. 59 M. Jesmer, Water Street, Cornwall, owner 1901. Wilbur Carpenter, Geo. E. Tackaberry, agents. 45 A rare cyano (blue) 1898 photograph of the south span of the New York and Ottawa Railway Bridge under construction. The Sept. 13, 1901 edition of the “Standard,” said: The steamer Gracie having been refitted can be chartered by the day or hour at moderate charges. Also open for moonlight engagements. For particulars see Bulletin Boards, corner of 2nd and Pitt Streets. G.W. Carpenter, agent; M.A. Jesmer, proprietor. Two years later “The St. Lawrence Herald,” in Potsdam quoted the “Cornwall Freeholder.” About a score of local capitalists left on the steamer Gracie for Massena yesterday morning to attend the sale of town lots in the Power City. They never reached their destination, however, for the southwest wind drove the steamer ashore at Point Maligne. The landlookers were rescued with no other damage than wet feet. A cable was got out and the excursionists made an effort to pull the steamer off the rocks, but after a few tugs the cable parted and they all sat down on the damp grass. Alex Eamer, who coached the rope pullers, says that he has now a tug of war team that can lift all the silverware in Glengarry. The capitalists returned home and the Gracie was pulled off in the afternoon none the worse for her experience. 46 S.S. LADYSMITH, 1900 The Ladysmith was likely named in honour of the British victory over the Boer’s in 1900 when the siege of Ladysmith was successfully raised by Imperial troops. The S.S. Ladysmith at what could be the Cornwall Wharf, at the south tip of Augustus St., just east of the present location of the Wood House, ca. 1900. The photograph is from the Daly collection. S.S. PRINCESS LOUISE, 1879 - 1918 The Princess Louise was built by the Wood Brothers of Ogdensburg in 1879. A year later capitalizing on his success Captain Alex Smallman purchased her. Captain James B. McMillan now purchased a $3,000 interest in the Smallman Line and commanded the Princess Louise for the next 32 years. (pg. 42, Fraser) In 1883, Captain Smallman added the Grenada just built at Prescott to his business. The following describes a train trip from Ottawa and cruise on Lake St. Francis. It was a daylight-to-dark adventure...a horse-drawn cab wheeled us...to the New York and Ottawa train. (near the present-day 417 Mann St. exit). In Cornwall, a cabby brought us to the former King George Hotel on Pitt St.... 47 Here a room was reserved for mother in which to rest awhile. After dinner we kicked our heels about in the lobby, until mid-afternoon, when another cab drove us down to the wooden wharf at the foot of the canal, where we boarded Smallman’s steamboat, Princess Louise. Her engine wheezed and panted in the pit from which arose the reek of heated oil, and you felt the heat and glimpsed the red flames devouring the crackling maple firewood with which the one fireman kept cramming her single boiler. The steering wheel squeaked and groaned and the rudder chains rattled along the gutters, as she threaded her way through narrow channels between the rush beds of Lake St. Francis. Though she didn’t draw much, her bottom scraped the mud in places. First stop was at St. Regis wharf - also the longest. We weren’t allowed off the boat to look around. The largest group of passengers disembarked here, shawled squaws, laden with heavy baskets, whilst empty-handed, stolid-faced, silent Indians filed down the gangway, their brown faces still shining with the beer-sweat of Cornwall’s taverns. Many cords of firewood were taken on board here; then on to Stanley Island and Summerstown. It was quite a drag to get into the latter place behind Renshaw Island. The next call was at Hamilton Island wharf, with its lighthouse and summer camps, and then back across the channels and banks, touching slightly here and there, to Hopkins Point wharf, the only means of access to its hotel, and finally up the Salmon River to Dundee. Wharf and lighthouse, Hamilton’s Island, ca. 1920. We landed at a wharf near the International boundary line, where cousin John from Fraser Point would be waiting by the side of the dusty road, with his team and hayrack... At the end of August we returned by the same route, and same conveyances, a twelve-hour, day-long journey, at least. (pgs. 43, 44, Fraser) “The Freeholder” of April 16, 1897 reported: The whistle of the steamer Princess Louise on Monday morning was the signal of the opening of navigation, and a few minutes later, Captain Smallman and Captain McMillan were shaking hands with their numerous friends up-town. This is the earliest trip for many years, the first arrival last year being the 25th. The Princess will run for about a month, until repairs on the Grenada are 48 completed. “The Standard” for March 29, 1912 reported: Last week the Smallman Bros. sold their steamboat the Princess Louise, to Mr. H.F. Cumming, of Cornwall, and with the sale, the existence of the long-established and well known Cornwall-Dundee boat line terminates. For 41 years the Smallman family have carried on this service... The line was established in 1870 by Capt. Alex Smallman, and conducted by him for 35 years, up to the time of his death six years ago. Since then his sons, under the name of Smallman Bros. have continued it. In its time the line enjoyed a large and prosperous business, and had two steamers, the Grenada and Princess Louise in constant service, but of late years the trade has greatly diminished, both in freight and passengers. For years the Salmon River has been gradually filling up from Fort Covington down to the mouth, until now it is difficult for a boat of the dimensions of the Princess Louise to make the passage without grounding. This lack of sufficient depth of water in recent years, during the greater part of the navigation season has been a great handicap to the line. It has obliged them to continually run light and at a loss. The advent of the motor boat has also had a detrimental effect upon the business. Everyone will regret the demise of this well-known service, and the old familiar “whistle” of the Princess Louise will surely be missed the coming summer. Mr. Cumming has not yet decided on the route for the boat for the coming season. He is considering a proposition to run between Cornwall and Lancaster, calling at Stanley Island and other points. This would be a great convenience and the service would no doubt become “very popular.” The steamer wharf in front of the Algonquin Hotel, Stanley Island, ca. 1910. 49 ST. FRANCIS, 1875 - 1883 In 1875 the St. Francis along with its sister steamer the Bohemian began running between Cornwall and Montreal. Commanded by Captain Duncan Rankin, this deep bottomed steamer was wrecked in the Lachine Rapids under another Captain while Rankin was ill. The St. Francis was remembered by the Huntingdon Branch of the Navy League, which named their Cadet Corps after the vessel. Built in Montreal 165 feet long; 27 feet wide 799 tons Paddle-wheel Operated by the Lake St. Francis Navigation Co. 50 Tugboat MINNICOG, 1898 - 1970, broken-up aka Charles F. Dunbar, 1898; Betty D Solar Crown Minnicog, 1948 The Minnicog was originally known as the Charles F. Dunbar when it was built in Buffalo for the Great Lakes Towing Co. Eventually acquired by the Canadian Dredge and Dock Company Limited of Midland, she was rechristened the Minnicog and put to work on the Seaway. 86 feet long by 23.4 feet wide, draught 10.8 feet Gross tonnage: 125; registered tonnage: 58 Indicated horsepower of 600 The caption for this January 5, 1957 photograph from the “Standard-Freeholder,” reads “River Workhorse - The tug Minnicog has had an active year on seaway work in The Cornwall area for her owners, the Canada Dredge and Dock Company of Midland. She is shown here with a hopper barge at Lock 15. This type of carrier disposes of mud and rock from the river bottom through dump compartments.” 51 Tugboat PETREL, 1892 - 1951 The rafting tug Petrel was constructed in Collins Bay for the Collins Bay Rafting and Forwarding Company of Kingston. Her composite hull was made of iron and oak. The single screw engine and boiler came from the tug McArthur built in 1867 and destroyed by fire in 1890. The tugs got their lumber rafts at Garden Island and towed them to the rapids where they were broken-up into smaller drams and sent through the current. After reassembling the rafts at the foot of the rapids the wood was taken to Montreal. 129.2 feet long, 26.3 feet wide, draught 9.6 feet. Gross tonnage: 346; registered tonnage: 199. Screw propeller. A photograph by J.A. Noel of Cornwall showing the Petrel pushing barges towards the south span of the New York Central and Ottawa Railway bridge, after the collapse, November 29, 1898. 52 Tugboat ROUILLE, 1929 - ca 1959 The unusually large tug Rouille was built in 1929 at the Collingwood Shipyards for J.P. Porter Co. Ltd. of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. She was large enough to use in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and along the Maritime coast. On December 3, 1954, the Rouille foundered off Cape Smokey, Nova Scotia claiming the lives of five crew members. Repaired she started working the St. Lawrence with other larger tugs after the start of the Seaway Project. 100 feet long by 25.1 feet wide, draught 13 feet. Gross tonnage: 214; net tonnage: 85 Engines, 1,000 indicated horsepower. The Rouille moored at the Lock 15 at the East entrance to the Cornwall Canal, October, 20, 1956. The Dundas Mill is in the background. 53 Tugboat WILLIAM HOOPES, 1934 - The William Hoopes, in the Cornwall drydock, February, 1956. This 1934 newspaper article describes the first voyage of the William Hoopes. This is the log of Captain Ernest Cline, who with Engineer William Cook, assisted in bringing the new river tug, William Hoopes, from Loraine, Ohio, to Massena. On November 7, J.W. Rickey, chief hydraulic engineer of Obelisk fame and John C. Hoar, assistant mechanical engineer, together with Walter Lambert, naval architect who designed the William Hoopes boarded the boat for a trial run outside Lorain harbour. The boat ran into real northwestern heavy seas washing the decks and bow. When the waves became high enough to go into the ventilators, drenching Mr. Lambert, agreed with Mr. Rickey, after a very short run that perhaps they had gone far enough on this trial and felt something like the old sailor who said “The wind was dead against us so we went the other way,” which in this particular case was back to port. On November 8, the boat was handed over to Captain C.R. Baker, of Cleveland, Ohio, and his crew were responsible for its delivery to Massena. On November 9, the crew was called out at 4 a.m. to prepare for sailing and they left Lorain at 7:15 a.m. with a fresh south east wind blowing. There was considerable water washing the decks but the William Hoopes was seaworthy and it stopped at Cleveland at 10:30 a.m. to get weather reports, after which it steamed on to Fairport where the crew cleaned fires and blew tubes. After 54 leaving Fairport the wind increased and nearing Ashtabula Captain Baker felt that the seas were just as large as the William Hoopes dared to take. It passed the Ashtabula light at 7:20 p.m. and docked at 8 p.m. Mr. Hoar had accompanied the crew as far as Ashtabula. On November 10, the boat left Ashtabula, Ohio, at 9:20 a.m. against an increasing southwest wind. It was compelled, due to heavy seas, to put into port at Conneaut, Ohio, at 11:10 a.m. (A winter storm forced it to stay in port until November 16.) On Friday, November 16, with seas still running high, the crew got the O.K. to go ahead. Captain Baker had not taken any chances the previous days but felt now that the good ship could weather it through. The men were on the job at 4:30 a.m. Left Conneaut at 7:20 a.m. with the deck awash and very rough weather. The boat arrived at Erie, Pa., at noon (where it docked.) On November 17, the boat left Erie at 7:50 a.m. and plowed through heavy seas until it finally reached Dunkirk, N.Y. at 1:35 p.m. Storm signals were flying and it had been necessary on account of heavy seas to cover all ventilators and close all pots to keep the engine from being flooded. On November 18, the crew found good weather and the lake almost calm. They arrived at Buffalo at 2:25 p.m. where Captain Baker got his clearance papers to enter the new York Barge Canal. November 19, left Buffalo shipyard at 9 a.m. and entered the lock at Black Rock at 10 a.m. and on through the Barge Canal past Tonawanda and Lockport. At Lockport the ship struck the largest locks where they had two drops each 30 feet. Arrived at Medina N.Y. at 4:45 p.m. after a day’s run of 58 miles. The weather was now mild and it was a relief to get away from the heavy seas of shallow Lake Erie. November 20, left Medina at 8 a.m. then went through locks 32 and 31 and arrived at Fairport N.Y., at 5 p.m., after a day’s run through the Barge Canal of 48 miles. November 21, left Fairport at 8 a.m., went through locks 30 and 29 and tied up at Clyde N.Y., at 3:30 p.m. It was necessary to stop at Clyde in order to find sleeping accommodations for the crew. November 22, left Clyde, went through locks 26 and 25 and tied up at Baldwinsville at 9:30 p.m., after a 42 mile run. Mr. Forsell, of the Morris Machine Works, who built the engine boarded the tug on the morning of November 23...and inspected engine and accompanied 55 the ship to Oswego. The ship passed through many locks and tied up at Oswego at 4:45 p.m...Storm and wind kept them in port until the 26th. On November 26, the ship steamed up at 5:45 a.m. and left Oswego at 7 a.m. for a mighty rough trip across Lake Ontario. The seas were running high until the boat reached a point opposite Henderson Harbour. It passed Stony Point at 12:30 p.m., Sackets Harbour, 1:30 p.m; Charity Shoals, 2:20 p.m; Tibbits Light 2:50 p.m.; and tied up at Cape Vincent at 3:25 p.m. November 27, Captain Phillip Fleming of Ogdensburg, came aboard as pilot to take the boat down the St. Lawrence. Left Cape Vincent at 7:30 a.m., past Carleton Island light at 8:15 a.m., Clayton, 9:35 a.m., Alexandria Bay, 10:45 a.m., Rockville, 1:45 p.m. and tied up at Ogdensburg at 4 p.m. V.C. Doerschuk, C.W. Peden, L.E. Volz and Hugh Doerschuk boarded the tug at Ogdensburg. The ship left at 8 a.m., took only one lock at Cardinal, but followed the main channel through the Galops Rapids. Passed Morrisburg at 10 a.m. and arrived at Richards Bay at 11:30 a.m. One scow had been taken out of the scow line at Talcott’s Point, below Richards Bay, and the ship came through the scow line where it was greeted by the tug DeGrasse and tied up at Dodge’s Bay at 12:15 p.m. This was the end of the journey where from now on the William Hoopes will battle the ice in the mighty St. Lawrence. Tug DeGrasse after many years of noble service will now be sold or scrapped. She had served well during the days of dredging, building and repairing the weir, servicing the ice scow at Talcott’s point, and assisting in keeping the repair shops operating. Dredging the South Island channel of the Galop Canal, May, 1957. 56 Owned and operated by the St. Lawrence Power Company, of Massena, which was a subsidiary of the Aluminum Company of America, the William Hoopes sailed with the smaller tug James W. Rickey. These tugs were employed in the Massena power canal for dredging. They were required to put the finishing touches on the channel itself; and to deepen the Grasse River below the powerhouse to ensure successful runoff. All such operations have now ceased and the tugs are now involved in the intricate job of keeping the canal as free of ice as possible...In this operation, both boats are used (as ice-breakers.) Aluminum pontoons are strung across the river between a series of concrete piers, from the mainland to the head of Long Sault Island in order that much of the ice passing down river when the breakup occurs will be kept from the canal mouth. (“Standard-Freeholder,” March, 6, 1957) The Massena Powerhouse is on the lower left in front of the Aluminum Works, ca. 1955. 50 feet long by 14.1 feet wide, draught 7.5 feet Gross tonnage: 30; net tonnage: 30 Single screw 120 horsepower engine. 57 References Bowering, I., Running Down the Rapids, boats on the St. Lawrence, 1848 - 1957. SD & G Historical Society, 2005. Bullock, F.J., Ships and the Seaway, J.M. Dent & Sons (Canada) Limited, Toronto, 1959. Collard, Edgar A., Passage to the Sea, the story of Canada Steamship Lines, Doubleday Canada Ltd., 1991. Fraser, R.J., As Others See Us - Scots of The Seaway Valley, The Beamsville Express Press, 1959. Mackey, Frank, Steamboat Connections Montreal to Upper Canada, 1816 - 1843, McGillQueen’s University Press, Montreal, 2000. Manson, L., Worrall, L., George Wilson’s Down the Lane (Again), vol. 1, SD & G Historical Society, 2005 for the “Standard-Freeholder.” Marin, C. And F., Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, 1945 - 1978, Mika Publ., Belleville, 1982. O’Dette, L.A., Glimpses, Glances, Sideswipes of Dickinson Landing, Leonard A. O’Dette, Cornwall, 1982. Young, A.G., Great Lakes’ Saga, Richardson, Bond & Wright Ltd., Owen Sound, 1965. Website: “New Mills” List of Registered Canadian Steamships, 1817 - 1930, 75 feet and over, The Marine Museum of the Great Lakes (Kingston), www.marmus.ca A Cornwall woman on the deck of a steamship, 1916. Photograph donated by Stuart Manson. The City of Hamilton under the command of Captain Henri Laliberte is the first ship of the season to sail through the Cornwall Canal, April 7, 1953, only 13 minutes after at the official 8 a.m. opening of the navigation season. The City of Hamilton was built as an express canal package freighter for Canada Steamship Lines in 1927 with a gross tonnage of 1,665. Broken-up 1961. “While crossing Darby’s lake at the Mille Roches bridge, and Lock 21 at Dickinson’s Landing, a signal (from the whistle) would be sent to a farmer. One long blast told him to bring a five-gallon can of milk; one short blast told him to bring butter as well.” (pg. 303, Collard)