Fulking - Travel Log Lewes
FULKING - UNDER CHANCTONBURY RING
Lovely lanes between points 1 and 2 and between 8 and 9, an interesting navigation puzzle in suburban
Bramber and a fine small town to explore.
1) Good pub at Fulking. Going east make sure you turn right, following
the main road, in the village.
5) Cross the main road. Keep
straight ahead. The ruins of
Brambler castle are just to the
north and worth exploring. Pub
between points 4 and 5
6) Follow the old main road
through Steyning, a picturesque
town which has all the usual
2) Going west turn left on to the main road and then look for a
drive/lane shortly on your right. This turns into somewhat overgrown
track. There may be nettles in high summer. Cycle carefully along the
track, which broadens out after a short while into a lane to reach a
junction at (3).
Going east emerge from the lane, turn left and then first right.
3) Going west turn right along a track at the junction. This soon turns
into a road. Keep straight ahead until you come to a no through road
sign. Turn left here and head south here, through a one way system
7) Cross the main road (slight dog
8) 90 degree turn here. The lane
between points 8 and 9 is quiet
and very scenic
till you get to the main road. Going east turn slightly left up a lane.
9) 90 degree turn here. Above you
on the downs you can see the
remains of the Chanctonbury Ring
4) Going west turn right at the main road and keep going. Going east
take the first possible turning on the left after crossing the bridge. When
it is no longer possible to go straight ahead turn right and keep going.
The road turns into a track. Keep going till you meet the junction at (3)
UPPER BEEDING CLOSE UP