Getting Started and Maintaining Momentum
Successful Assessment In
Student Affairs: Getting Started
and Maintaining Momentum
Assessment Network of New York Annual Conference April 2015
Kimberly Yousey-Elsener, PhD.
Director of Assessment and Evaluation for University Life and Services
University at Buffalo
Get to know your neighbor…
TOP 10 (OR 11) THINGS YOU CAN DO
TODAY TO GET STARTED/STAY
Know Your Purpose
Diagnose or clarify problems
Compare courses of action
Justify a decision/action
Be held accountable by external sources
Inform daily practice
Manage meaning, culture, motivation
• What decisions are we making this year?
• What information do we need to make these decisions?
• Did we make changes? Do we need to see if those changes are
• Do we have important constituencies that need specific information
• Is there data we collect every year that is not changing? Can we
switch to a rotating basis?
• If we stop sending that report, who will notice?
Increase Your Data Literacy
Learn a new language
Create & Follow a Clear
Dig Deeper, Tap Your Curiosity
Take some risks
Celebrate Success & Capitalize on
Do Less AND Reflect More
Consider it your duty to share and use data
Stop supporting bad assessment practices
What will you do?