AIMING FOR A HEALTHY WEIGHT
AIMING FOR A HEALTHY WEIGHT
Thank you for your feedback!
When you think of New Year’s Resolutions,
weight loss and exercise often top the list.
• Identify challenges & benefits for achieving
a healthy weight
• Use past success as a roadmap for success
• Determine importance of a goal
• Identify changes that are needed to be successful
• Set a SMART goal
• Identify/establish support
• Planning for plateau and relapse prevention
• Establish confidence and commitment
What challenges come to mind
when you think of dieting and
• Feeling deprived
• Extra work to plan what I eat
• Adjust busy schedule for new diet
• Cold or hot weather which limits exercise
• Sore joints and feet which interfere with activity
How would your life be different if you were
able to achieve a healthy weight?
• More energy
• Lower cholesterol
• Clothes fit better
• Lower glucose
• Less shortness of
• Less joint pain
• Sleep Better
• Lower blood pressure
• Discontinue medications
• Enjoy grandchildren
• Other: ____________
You are the expert. How have you
been successful in the past?
• Portion control
• Formal diet programs:
• Plate method
• Buddy system
• Contests, i.e. biggest loser program
• Other: ________________
How important is losing weight to
you on a scale of 1 to 10?
What changes will you need to make
for losing weight to happen?
• Decide how you are going to lose your
• Plan what you eat
• Schedule time for meal preparation
• Weigh regularly
• Support system
• Weekly reflection on progress/tweak where
Decide how you are going to
lose your weight.
Tool and Resources:
• BMI Chart
• Choosing a Safe and Successful Weight-loss
• Methods of Dieting Resources
• Weight Management Guide to Good Health
• Healthy Eating Guide to Good Health
• Helpful Links for Weight Loss Tracking
• List of Support Networks for Weight Loss
• Physical Activity Handout
• Behavior Chain Worksheet: Breaking the
Habit of Emotional Eating
• Eight Traits of Emotional Hunger
Some of the journaling techniques that have been helpful
to other people include but are not limited to:
• Phone APP
• MyFitness Pal
• Weight Watchers App
• Other: _____________
Setting a Smart Goal
• I will lose 4 lbs a month until I reach _____lbs
using portion control, eating 3 fruits/day, 4
vegetables/day, eating 3 calcium rich
foods/day. Starting wt:____.
• I will journal the foods that I eat and their
amount daily, and will record my weight
• I will lose 4 lbs a month following the Weight
Watchers Program until I reach goal (___lbs).
Starting wt: _____.
• I will walk 30 minutes 3 times/week.
• Formal support:
Weight Watcher meetings or online Wt Watchers
• Family support
• Physician supervised diet
• Other: _______________
Plateaus and Relapse
Be aware that relapse is a normal part of
When you fall off the horse, don’t beat
yourself up. Get back on course. Allow
for celebration of life.
What would need to happen to reset
Brainstorm with a coach
Change what you are eating
Journal what you eat and your exercise
Evaluate eating patterns for HALT (hunger,
anger, lonely, tired/thirsty)
• Complete a Behavior Chain worksheet
• Continue the course knowing there is light at
the end of the tunnel
BEHAVIOR CHAIN WORKSHEET:
BREAKING THE HABIT OF
On a scale of 1 to 10, how confident are
you that you can make this change?
Write down why you rated yourself a _______.
What do you think would help you become more
If you decided you were
ready, who or what could
help you make this
Where does this leave you?
What do you intend to do?
What is your next step?
Review of value added benefits and support:
• Discounts to diet programs and gyms
• Healthy Living Guides, particularly Weight
Management and Healthy Eating Guide to
Good Health (has menu choices and
suggestions, and snacks)
Health Power Assessments (HPAs) are a snap
shot of your well being.
The HPA provides:
• Success profile showing areas of strength and
opportunities for improvement
• Direction with multiple selections from which to
choose if you desire
The HPA helps to strengthen your purpose, your
More Webinars To Follow:
•Feb 11, 2014 Manage Your Feelings of
•April 1, 2014 Becoming Physically Active
•June 2014 Preventive Health
• Nov 2014 Diabetes
Health coaching offers formal education on
conditions through our Modules of Care
Managing High Blood Pressure
Risk of Alcohol Use
Thank you for your participation in today’s
Personal health engagement comes with
commitment, planning for success.
The healthy lifestyle changes made today
can improve quality of life for years to