Celebrating Norwegian Music
Celebrating Norwegian Music
God jul, Washington! Celebrating Norwegian Music A mericans might not think of Norway — a country known for its oil, fjords and salmon — as a music nation, but we can guarantee that they’ve heard music from several Norwegian artists, performers, producers and songwriters this year. There’s a good chance they’ve walked around humming to Nico & Vinz’s smash “Am I Wrong” this summer, singing along to Kygo’s “Firestone” or dancing to Calvin Harris’ “How Deep is Your Love.” Kygo’s unique tropical house sound has taken the world by storm, selling out venues and headlining festivals around the world – after releasing just a couple of singles. Ina Wroldsen, who wrote and sings “How Deep is Your Love,” is a highly soughtafter songwriter, writing for One Direction, Britney Spears and Shakira, to name a few. These artists and more have contributed to a 48% increase in the number of Norwegian music concerts in the U.S. between 2013 and 2014 — during which time the U.S. surpassed Germany as the biggest market for live Norwegian music. “Americans might not think of Norway — a country known for its oil, fjords and salmon — as a music nation, but we can guarantee that they’ve heard music from several Norwegian artists” Norwegian bands are increasingly adding stops in Washington, D.C. to their tours, playing mostly at clubs like DC9 (pop/ rock), Echo Stage (electronica), the Black Cat (indie rock), Blues Alley (jazz) and the Kennedy Center (classical/traditional). Facts & figures Percentage of Norwegian concerts in the U.S. by genre: 65% pop/rock/metal/EDM 21% jazz 10% classical 3% folk Nico & Vinz It’s not just America that’s interested in Norwegian music: internationally, Norwegian exports of recorded music increased a whopping 39% last year. About Norwegian Christmas at Union Station Sponsored by the Royal Norwegian Embassy, the Christmas tree on the West Carriage Porch is a gift from Norway to the people of Washington D.C., and a symbol of Norway’s appreciation for the strong friendship and relations between the two nations. This year’s theme is Celebrating Norwegian Music. To read more, please visit norway.org/ music. God jul, Washington! Kygo The pop/rock/metal/electronica field has experienced the largest increase, and clusters of professional Norwegian musicians/songwriters have established themselves in New York and LA. Digital sales make up the majority of the Norwegian domestic music market. 82% of overall sales were digital, primarily streaming. Sales of physical units make up for the remaining 18% of the market. Music Norway’s Waffle Mixes offer a wide selection of Norwegian music that can be streamed for free. Available both for Spotify and Wimp: norway.org/music 2720 34th Street, Northwest Washington, D.C. 20008 202.333.6000 | norway.org Our Playlist Meet Ida Jenshus The Royal Norwegian Embassy in Washington, D.C. is pleased to present a selection of Norwegian music for your listening and viewing pleasure. Anneli Drecker, “Alone” Broen, “Boy” Carl Louis, “Apogee (feat. Pav)” Clmd, “Black Eyes and Blue” Coucheron, “Ruby” Emilie Nicolas, “Pstereo” Fay Wildhagen, “Four Years (In One Day)” Frøder, “Over the Sea” Frøkedal, “I See You” Highasakite, “Leaving No Traces” Susanna, “Imagine” Karl Seglem, “Strange Weight of Ashes” Kasket Club, “Soul Surfing” Kygo, “Stole the Show” Psyence Fiction, “Spy Vs. Spy” Sara Angelica, “Run” Slutface, “Shave My Head” Surfalot, “Brother Brother” Sval, “Fasitsvar” Tellef Raabe, “Dear Aphrodite” The Fjords, “Anesthesia” Maria Mena, “I Always Liked That” Scan the QR code to open a Spotify playlist with all of the songs listed above. This year’s entertainment includes a performance by Ida Jenshus. After winning the NRK talent competition Lyden av Lørdag in 2007, Ida Jenshus’ career quickly took off, and she made her debut in 2008 with the singles “These are the Days” and “For the Nation.” Then followed her first studio album “Color of the Sun,” which earned her the Norwegian Grammy (Spellemannsprisen) for best country album 2008. Two years later, she released her second album, “No Guarantees,” with 12 new songs that showcased a rapidly maturing singer/songwriter. Again she won the Spellemannsprisen. After this, Ida established herself as one of Norway`s leading female country artists, and she was invited to open for the Eagles when they performed at the Norwegian Wood Festival in the summer of 2011. When she won the Spellemannsprisen once again in 2012 for her album “Someone to Love,” she became the first Norwegian solo artist to win Grammys for her first three albums. With this album, she also took her music further into rock/pop territory and developed the characteristic sound that she is known for today.