chicken enchilada casserole (aka "stacked" chicken
YIELD: ABOUT 8 SERVINGS
CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE (A.K.A. "STACKED"
This chicken enchilada casserole recipe (a.k.a. "stacked enchiladas") are simple to make, gluten-free,
and MUY delicioso.
PREP: 20 MINS
COOK: 30 MINS
TOTAL: 50 MINS
• 3 cups red enchilada sauce (I highly recommend my homemade red enchilada sauce recipe, which can be made glutenfree*)
• 16 corn tortillas, halved
• 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
• 6 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
• 4 cups (about 1.5 pounds) shredded cooked chicken
• 3 cups shredded Monterrey Jack or Mexican blend cheese
• 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
• 1/2 cup loosely-packed chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Pour about 3/4 cup enchilada sauce in the baking dish, and spread until the bottom of the dish is coated. Top with a layer of
about 8 tortilla halves so that the entire dish is covered. Sprinkle evenly with about 1 cup black beans, 1/2 cup corn and a
fourth of the green onions. Then sprinkle with a heaping cup of the chicken, and about 3/4 cup shredded cheese. Repeat
with a second layer of tortillas, then sauce, then beans, corn, green onions, chicken, and cheese. Then a final layer of
tortillas, sauce, beans, corn, green onions, chicken and cheese. Then conclude with a final layer of tortillas and sauce
(reserving about 3/4 cup of cheese to add partway through baking). Cover the pan with aluminum foil, then bake for 20
Remove pan and remove aluminum foil. Sprinkle the top of the enchiladas evenly with the remaining 3/4 cup of cheese,
then return to the oven (uncovered) and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove pan, and sprinkle with
avocado, cilantro, and remaining green onions. Serve warm.
*If you are not using my enchilada sauce and would like this recipe to be gluten-free, be sure to check the label of storebought sauces to find one that is GF.
*To make this recipe gluten-free, be sure to check the labels of all ingredients to double-check that they are made glutenfree.
INGREDIENTS: AVOCADO, BLACK BEANS, CHICKEN, CILANTRO, CORN, CORN TORTILLAS, MEXICAN BLEND CHEESE,
MONTERREY JACK CHEESE, RED ENCHILADA SAUCE
This delicious recipe brought to you by GIMME SOME OVEN