The name `Warsash` is derived from Warish Asse Feld, after donkeys
The history of
Warsash Maritime Academy
The name ‘Warsash’ is derived from Warish Asse Feld, after
donkeys grazed in the area during the dissolution of the
monasteries in 1537.
The Newtown Coastguard Station c. 1900
The land on which Warsash Maritime Academy is situated
was originally part of the Hook Estate, given by the
government in 1803 to William Hornby, ex-governor of
Bombay. In 1864 a chemical works is established in the
grounds but closes in 1882.
In 1875, the Hornby family offer land and Hook Spit for
coastguard use only on a 90-year lease, in agreement
with the Admiralty.
In 1880 the Newtown Coastguard Station is built on
the current site, with an officer’s house, a signal station,
water tower (where the library is now) and cottages to
accommodate eight families. The station opens in 1881.
Families at the Newtown Coastguard Station c. 1900
Entrance to the Newtown Coastguard Station