Heading to go here heading to go here
Cultural Differences in
Carreira Sara, Portugal
Forleo Roberto, Italy
Kabageni K. Grace, Rwanda
Tek Suleyman, Turkey
Coming from Salford University,
Manchester to TAMK University Virrat –
Impact of global brands on local markets
Common message with different words
Adapting market penetration strategies
Individual country brand identity
Examples of two worldwide brands
that conquered the world with their
History of an international ice
• Unilever is the owner of Heartbrand
• Heartbrand is the biggest ice cream company worldwide
• Strategy: “Go global, stay local” - takes over local brands: Olá, Algida,
HB, Miko, Frigo...
• Good way to reduce the marketing costs:
Same product BUT
DIFFERENT LOCAL IDENTITIES !
Algida – an italian gelato
• 1945: Italian ice cream maker : “Algida”
• 1969: First take away ice cream “Cremino”
• 1974: Taken over by Unilever
• 1976: Launching of “Cornetto”
• 1990: “Magnum”: young adults audience
• 2003: “Heartbranding” is born
Ice cream going fashion ...
Olá – a portuguese sorvete
• 1959: Olá is created from the joint venture between
Unilever and Jerome Martins
• 1970: Unilever takes over Raja ice creams
• 1973: Launching of “Epá” and “Cornetto”
• 1979: Launching of “Perna de Pau”
• 1985: Launching of “Calippo”
• 1998: “Heartbranding” is created
A brand for kids
Olá Kids Football Cup
Clube Olá – online kids platform
Coca Coca, bottle superstar
• 1886 from medicine to soft drink
• First bottling : Canada, Panama, Cuba and France
• 200 countries ; 17.8 billions products sold
• Aim to internationalize and to unify the product
• Advertising message : REFRESHMENT
1928 Coca-Cola in South Africa
Biggest sporting sponsor : Africa Cup of Nations
Fanta Orange 80% of sales
Young and fun
Coca-Cola’s Turkish marketing
• Turkey`s population is over 74 million people.
• Population of Turkey is 99% Muslim.
• Company had a big problem to identify with American
Brand in Iraq Invasion, this time Turkish Brand cola
Turka had announced by Ulker.
• Cola Turka advertisment was built on nationalist theme.
• Coca-Cola focuses on families and
children and young people.
• Turkey is used like an education centre to
culture by Coca Cola.
• Muhtar Kent has worked as a General Manager of CocaCola Turkey and Central Asia in 1985 .
Coca-Cola & Ramadan
Think global act local strategy is followed by many
multinational brands. According to the research conducted
by the Medi Taiko , between 9 September and 25 October
Muslim themed commercials were used by 68 different
companies during holy month Ramadan festivals and Coca
Cola brand was the top allocated as much as 83 % of its
over 4.000 commercials.